Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 50 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 49 50
Alan - that may have been your best episode yet, in terms of suspenseful detail - less bullsh!t and more adrenelin. You have me gripped - try not to make us wait too long for the next episode.

In addition, given that this is a real and personal story... OMG I know this was a shocking and yet amazing experience that must have been horrific to go through even though the results were so much an improvement for you.

I hardly know what to say - it's terrifying just reading it.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
M
mig Offline
M
Gosh Alan, you were so calm going in... I would have been a total wreck. Just shows, I think, how much your optimism must have been driving you and borne from the very grave need for surgery and for a good outcome... otherwise I can't even imagine how you were so brave facing this.

I love Esther stealing your chocolate biscuit (clearly takes after her Dad!) and Ruth's consternation over when she'd next get to see you. And the clock on the wall... wow.

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I

Well of course screaming might be an overstatement, and yet perhaps not, for to wake from such a procedure and be confronted, in the flesh by Alan Parsons, well a difficult thing to take. But there he was I was DOWncast to see him there, DOWnhearted too and thought that things could only get better from here!! (this is not part of the story but a secret message to a DOWdy friend!!

71a

But screaming I was, Pain, yes pain. I was full of morphine (you must realise that I now write is with in the faith and belief in the truths that I was told after the events. At the moment of waking I was incapable of thought, I had no awareness of who or where I was. A primeval sense within me kept saying something is wrong desperately wrong. But what was wrong. I had no idea for I had no idea of what anything was.

A 4 inch by 4 inch square appeared before me, it had vertical stripes of various greens, I knew this square, well didn't know it, but deep within I knew that this square meant something to me. It disappeared. It came and went many times.

My face hurt and had something sticky all over it i kept trying to push it off,but then it was there again. My right forefinger hurt and felt squashed. I felt tied down and could touch the ropes that contained me. The square appeared. it waivered in front of me and then was gone, what was this square, I should know this square!

I yelled out and was engulfed in remorseless pain, pain far worse than that, that I have known all my adult life. This pain wouldn't go away, I couldn't get into a position where i might relieve it a little, I screamed. My finger felt funny, what was this sticky think over my face. Then noises, then the sqaure, then the pain then the noise then the square and the pain.
It went on, day after day.

My mind reeled, I began to have thoughts things that I knew were thoughts, will it be best to keep pyjamas on underneath my suit or best to keep suit under pyjamas, I couldn't decide which would be easier, if I keep suit under pyjamas, I can get to work easier, but then what about bed time, no perhaps pyjamas ocver suit so when I have finished work I can go back to hospital and get into bed.

I dont want a shave, I can shave myself. Green square, Hilary shouting, hold his head, scrape scrape as the blade shuddered across my face. I dont want a shave, green square steady now in front of me, pain, screaming tearful pain pain pain. Who was I what was happening to me.

And so it went. Morphine is not fun, it plays with the mind, and yet without it what would that pain have been like? I had somehow worked out that 4 days had passed, had realised who I was, where and why. I knew then that I was ok now because the 4 days had passed. The green square got a little bigger. Look at yourself, look at yoursef. It could talk.

"He's taken that clip of his finger again"

I heard in the distance, Someone squashed my finger.

"Will he leave that mask on"

"Alan, now leave the mask, it will help you breathe"

"I don't want it".

"Alan hold this button, now if it hurts, just press the button. It will give you some morphine amd stop the pain"

I pressed the button like I was in the world button pressing championships, the pain continued, unabated.

This went on for hours I wanted to be dead, I didn't want to be here and didn't want to be whoever I was.

I was inthe HDU ward (High dependency unit) I had been there 2 hours, not 4 days.

ok st yourself look at yourself. It was the next day now, I had spent 24 grim agonising, sleepless hours in unstoppable agony I begged for it to stop.

The green square appeared, it was attached to other green squares which formed a blouse that my wife was wearing, she had been there all the time, look at yourself she said.

"I dont want to effing look at myself, if I had known what it was going to be like I would never have had it done, you just don't understand"

Yes I actually spoke thise silly words, to this day I can hear myself saying them and looking at Ellen, crushed by my cruelty. I regretted it immediately, even through the morphine haze, the pain, that bloo dy mask sruck to my face i knew I had been selfish and hurtful sadly I wasn't able to formulate apologetic words for the mental capacity wasn't there, I think to this day that that comment sits between us.

F=Day two, and I was alert now and because i was alert realised just how much pain I was in they were reducing the morphine, another shave from hilary, arather cool mannered humourless nurse, efficient though and extremely capable.

Then Physio arrived, and my life got a whole lot worse....

M
mig Offline
M
Oh god it hurts just reading of it Alan... Absolutely no escape ... you poor man thank god it worked and thank goodness you are here to enjoy all the better years that followed because of enduring that marathon of misery.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Alan
I hope you dont mind me saying but I think you have given a bit too much information.I respect what you went through and understand what your saying but I feel anyone reading this who is looking at having this surgury or what I am facing would be put off. I know your telling it as it is but I think some times you have to be a bit conservative with the truth. Im certainly not afraid of pain or suffering but the thought of going through that and it not being succesful no thanks, Unless Im told I will die without it forget it. You have put me off completely.
Kevin

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
To both of you, Pain is passing, It was grim for 5 days, but then it got better and better and eventually I did as my wife said and looked at my straight self............orgasmic

no fiddling pain could have outweighed that incredible moment

They featured me in the local papers and in the sunday mirror, a national of ill repute. one headline said

15 years of misery staring at the floor...........yes misery as we all understand but i was joyous joyous joyous

5 days bear death stuff was nothing at the side of that.

So both of you, there are 3 more chapters, do I write it

or do i stop?

M
mig Offline
M
Well, I definitely think you should write it Alan... and especially because without describing the days and weeks that follow, and the great benefits, then the last chapter will stand out of the full context of the ultimate success of your surgery... and your gratitude for having it.

One question... knowing now what you went through and all that you had to endure, would you do it again?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats your decision I know you came out of it ok and happy and thats great Im realy pleased for you but to someone whos facing it I think that would really put the shits up them.How would you have felt if you had read that the night before you went down. As I say I dont mean any offence and I respect what you went through.Its just my opinion perhaps Im wrong.
Sorry Kevin

I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Well my dearest Mig, you already know but the answer is a resounding

YES.

Last edited by ineptwill; 07/16/09 09:33 PM.
I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Perhaps Kevin my writing has to much melodrama within it and I have made it sound worse than it was. It would be wrong though to understate the procedure.

Last edited by ineptwill; 07/16/09 09:34 PM.
Page 26 of 50 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 49 50

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)