Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi Lisa...it's bad down here...because the power was off for so long all the food went bad, even in the stores, not that I have much of an appetite, I feel for those with small children in this mess. The smell is horrendous because of all the dead fish that are everywhere.

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
mig #310682 09/16/08 01:53 PM
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi Mig.....I would say that I can't believe that both houses...but it's not the first time. The girls are very considerate and they were so worried about me but today I'm worried about them, both of them are being too quiet and they want to be right next to me at all times...I fear that an all too familiar reality has set in with them. I totally understand though, we were just in the past 6 months or so feeling a hint of normalcy, I was even getting nostalgic but our world wasn't back to where it was, we had begun to make new memories and take stock in this new post-disaster world of ours and now it too is gone. If I could leave right now, I would, I'd take my family far away but that's not how it works...I am legally responsible for my property and until all of that is cleaned up, I'm stuck here..I am glad however that I faced my fear, I do feel better in that regard...I've been around hurricanes all my life and they didn't bother me until Katrina & Rita took their toll and ever since, I've had a hurricane phobia....the hurricane season is 6 months long and everyday during that time, I'm worried to death and although I didn't purposely run into Ike, It happened and I survived it and now everything is back into perspective in my mind. The sound of helicopters and sirens isn't setting well with me today and they're everywhere, as you can imagine....I just want to stick my head in the sand about now...

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
I'm glad your other house faired ok in this mess.

Hopefully they dogs faired well with their adventure? Did you get them back?

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Yeah, I stayed at the OEP staging area until they were finished with them and the we hitched a ride over here with FEMA.

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
If the dogs find people who have died, do they tend to be sad or anything? I know that might seem like an odd question, but I've always wondered about that with rescue dogs. I know dogs are smart and rescue dogs have to be pretty dang smart, so do they understand what's exactly going on?
Did that make any sense?

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I haven't witnessed any sadness or depression in a cadaver dog after they locate human remains, they're trained to detect body tissue and/or fluids of the deceased and necrosis is present and they don't affiliate the scent of the dead with the living, in other words they recognize the living by their scent which is a totally different scent of course but they are not able to rationalize that a human being smells one way when alive and another way when deceased, to them the deceased are not connected to the living in their mind. Now if they were to come into contact with a deceased person that they had been close to while the person was alive, they may react differently. The dogs are praised and rewarded when they do a good job, so for them it is a positive experience. I don't think that's an odd question though, Sarah, I've actually been asked that several times.

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Has anyone heard from Doreen Bar or has anyone seen her posting lately? She lives right at the edge of Houston in Katy....they may not have internet service yet, the only reason I had access to it because I was at the OEP & it was still up & running here on the Westbank.

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I just saw the most heartwarming act of kindness unfold...there's an elderly couple that live two houses down...the husband has been gravely ill for the last year and there home was flooded by Ike, they don't have much family and no children, I've checked in on them once since I've been back and I could see the worry in their eyes, wondering I'm sure, what they were going to do....I just saw 3 men deliver a beautiful camper to them from an annonymous donor!

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
L
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
L
Wow, a camper just when they needed it! I have been reading your posts for the last half hour...wow...what an experience you had, I am so glad you all are safe, and that your dogs helped (if I have that correct)...you rock, don't forget it....I've been inspired by your posts and determination to get through this!!
Peace
Linc

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Quote:

I just saw the most heartwarming act of kindness unfold...there's an elderly couple that live two houses down...the husband has been gravely ill for the last year and there home was flooded by Ike, they don't have much family and no children, I've checked in on them once since I've been back and I could see the worry in their eyes, wondering I'm sure, what they were going to do....I just saw 3 men deliver a beautiful camper to them from an annonymous donor!

yes, the human spirit can be absolutely amazing at times,
thanks for sharing this story,

sue

Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie