Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#297911 04/24/08 01:22 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Of course I am checking with the doc, and waiting to hear back, but I wanted to reach out to my kickas friends and see if anyone has had firsthand experience with this. I'm currently on Remicade, and obviously have a comprimised immune system, I want to get a tattoo next week . Its a small one, but I'm just worried about a risk of infection. I will be 2 weeks into my treatment when I get it done (if I get it done)
Anyone have any experience with this, not only remicade, but any immune supressing drugs? Thanks!

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
I don't know, but I don't think I'd trust the doc with this one. Unless a pharmaceutical has done some research on tatoos and are selling a drug, they have no idea what the effects might be. I would hold out like you are, doing your own research here, asking the people with experience.

My brother had a shamrock tattoo, and after he died, his son, and my sister, and a few of his friends went out and got shamrock tattoos to remember him.

I wanted a tatoo too, but I am affraid of putting the toxins in my body, not because I am on immune suppressing drugs (I'm NSD), but because I have a suppressed immune system and can't seem to handle toxins as well as most people. It's sucks and its not fair, but thats the way it is for me.

Do let me know how you do, maybe I'll change my mind

T
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
T
The problem with Remicade and other drugs like it, reduces your bodies ability to block an infection from entering your blood stream. You could get Sepsis. I've been on Humira and gotten my teeth done but I had to start antibiotics before and after the procedure. I would suspect a dental procedure is less invasive. As far as surgery my Rheumy suggested going off of the drug first.

Tim

I have a tatoo of a horseshoe on my left cheek....not on my face...the doctor tried to tell me not to do it but he said to stop taking Enbrel 2 weeks before having it done.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Yes, I would be careful!

Maybe look up on Google to see if you can find any info or research, other people going thru the same thing.

I have no tatoo's but I have noticed over the last 4 or 5 years with AS that things I could normally do like I have my ears pierced twice.

My daughter and I decided to get our upper ear pierced (I had mine done before actually did it myself) but this time (proffesionally) she still has hers and I had to let mine grow back it hurt too much and stayed infected even with like sterling silver.

Also have had my nose pierced 2 times (the little cute tiny stud in the side) did them both myself first time no problem after time took it out and it grew back the next time same thing would not quit hurting, stayed infected.

So I have noticed over time my body able to handle less (intrusion) so it looks like my days of additional piercings or a tat might be over.

Good luck!

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

N
OP Offline
N
Thank you for all of the feedback guys.
I think I'm gonna hold off for now, especially since I get my remicade infusions every 5 weeks as apposed to every 8 weeks, so I'm sure my immune system is even more compromised than someone who takes it at the 8 week mark. I dont want to push my luck, and so far I have tolerated the remicade very well.
I'll keep you all posted and let you know what the doc tells me when she gets back to me, even though I'm certain I'm going to get a big fat NO.
Thanks again!

F
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
I had one done 6-7 years ago and no problems while on enbrel. I had surgery no problems. But I take real good care of myself with nutrution, sleep and exercise. You gotta decide how bad you really want something, weight the risks and benefits.

Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Hi
I would be very careful, even if you didn't develop a systemic infection, I bet the healing time will be much longer and if by chance the tattoo became infected, the tattoo could become quite disfigured. That would just plainly suck, who wants a blob of color on their body which doesn't look like anything. So glad the Remicade is working well for you.

Janet

N
OP Offline
N
My doc called me and left me a message saying it was fine that I get a tattoo and to just make sure I was going to a clean and reputable place. But now from everything I read on here, I'm not so quick to go get this done. Someone even mentioned Sepsis?!?! I'll have to actually speak to my doc and raise some of the concerns seen here before I make a decision, unfortunately I missed her when she called. Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

I'm so glad you asked this question. I got the idea of getting a tatoo at the base of my spine (lower lumbar actually) about 10 years ago. At the time, I was hanging out with folk who had tatoos, so I decided to wait and see if I still wanted it after those people had moved on. I'm still thinking about it and know exactly what I want.

That said, I've been hesitating ... both out of fear of the pain involved and wondering about the Remicade. I'll ask my rheumy at my next infusion just to make sure, but ...

It seems to me that if you go to a reputable tatoo parlour, that uses clean needles and new inks on every person, there should be almost no risk of infection. But that's just my opinion.

Hugs,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM