Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#226556 - 04/21/06 03:50 PM Amylose/Amylopectin
phil28 Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

Loc: London UK
Hi Ted, I have tried some short grain rice and that was fine no problems there. So I also tried millet and again no problem. I tried some beans just to see the effect of amylose/resistant starch and I had no back flare but I did suffer with some slight fatigue. I am going to look into this further, do you happen to have a list or know of anything else with low amylose?

Thanks
Phil

#226557 - 04/22/06 12:03 PM Re: Amylose/Amylopectin [Re: phil28]
la_monty Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Glad you are robust enough to not react badly.
Try the listing in that CSID web page and interpret as you may...
They say wheat is high amylopectin (which means it may be better for me) but as i actually react badly to gluten i avoid wheat more than any other starchy food. The idea is around that older wheat strains (with lower gluten) are better, but so easy to just ditch wheat...
Starch forms in crystals in the grains and the long thin shapes suggest amylose, rounder ones amylopectin so maybe approach beans/legumes and other starchy foods in that manner. Amylose is more soluble, but falls out and then clumps together due to "hydrogen bonding" a weak attraction between molecules that is not really a chemical bond, but quite strong along huge straight lengths.
I eat the yellow/orange yam/sweet potato at will and tend to throw out any water used in boiling starchy foods - haven't been brave enough to boil ordinary potatos, throw out water and eat the flesh.
Surf around This Site to see where i am coming from and remember that amylose must be broken down into disaccharides - over and over and over again - hundreds of times for each molecule and it MUST BE SEQUENTIAL due to long, long chain. That is why i think the octopus like amylopectin is more quickly digested - far more access for the enzymes. If someone throws up "stearic hindrance" it is a red herring.
Lotsa basic chemistry to play with.
I haven't searched much on starch lately maybe you'll find something new - there's a lot about how all the thickeners are made for food products.
Have fun.

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln

#226558 - 04/22/06 01:38 PM Re: Amylose/Amylopectin [Re: la_monty]
phil28 Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

Thanks Ted,

I have given beans another try, no major issue just a bit of minor fatigue for a short while. It seems that anything with resistant starch is still an issue for me. But the amylopectin starch seems ok for the moment. Will see how things go. I am not sure why I am tolerating these though because I still have a leaky gut with some minor colitis. I have just had a lot of kefir and probiotics and my bifido/Lacto levels are very high, managed to get the klebsiella down to +2 from +4. I have also looked around but cannot really find much on amylose/amylopectin content in foods, shame. Only thing I can really add is the GI of foods seems to be implicated, higher amylose or resistant starch lowers the GI, in comparison hi amylopectin/low resistant starch is associated with a higher GI. All going back to what you said re the digestability of the starches, i.e amylopectin being digested faster and easier. Just another url below on rs starch, same sort of thing you have again said.
http://hec.server101.com/info/articles/nutrients/resisstarch.htm
Phil

#226559 - 04/22/06 01:59 PM Re: Amylose/Amylopectin [Re: phil28]
phil28 Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

Have found one article of potatoes though
There are hundreds of varieties of potatoes worldwide. Luckily for us, the majority of US supermarkets have seen fit to lower our options to three, generally a baking potato, a boiling potato and one that works in both arenas fairly well.

But, as we are humans, and humans are a visual creature, we tend to categorize potatoes by the color of their skin. There are Russet-skinned varieties, red-skinned varieties, yellow-skinned varieties, white-skinned varieties and blue-skinned varieties. But really, a potato should not be judged by what's on the outside. Rather they should be judged by what is on the inside.

What is on the inside that's so important anyways? Two things really -

amylose
amylopectin
These two polymers are the basis of starch, and help determine how starchy or waxy a potato will be. If you have a potato that has more amylose, than amylopectin, you've got a great baking potato. They make also great creamy mashed potatoes and they're also the best potatoes to use in french fries.

If you've got a potato that has less amylose than amylopectin, then you have a waxy potato. These potatoes are good for roasting, or in use for soups, casseroles, and potato salads.

Then there are the oddball potatoes, those with relatively equal amounts of amylose and amylopectin. They are particularly well-suited to roasting, soups, stews, and gratins. I find them particularly good in making breakfast potatoes, fried in a cast iron skillet.

Once you decide on how you're going to use a potato, then and only then should you decide which kind of potato to purchase.

Baking Potatoes:Russet Burbank (this is the most popular variety in the United States), Russet Arcadia, Norgold Russet, Goldrush, Norkotah, and the Long White.

Waxy Potatoes: Carlingford, Nadine, Round White, Round Red, Yellow Potato, Red Potato, Salad Potato, La Soda, Red La Rouge, Red Pontiac, Red Nordland, Red Bliss, Yellow Finnish, Ruby Crescent, and Australian Crescent.

All-Purpose Potatoes: Charlotte, Nicola, Maris Peer, Yukon Gold, Peruvian Blue, Superior, Kennebec, and Katahdin

#226560 - 04/22/06 09:05 PM Re: Amylose/Amylopectin [Re: phil28]
la_monty Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
The term waxy is applied to rice, corn, potato and starchy things and again reflects molecular shape. The 3D aspects of amylopectin molecule versus amylose can be related to a wax molecule versus (say) an oil molecule - fatty acid oils are long and straight, wax is more 3D. As far as taste goes there is some waxiness with sushi rice being light and fluffy and has a milder glugginess if not strained/overcooked. Long grain amylose grains are usually more discrete, separate and under-cooked in their texture as i think it is hard for the water to penetrate the grain - until lots of heat anyway. They must have the water thrown away as it is all amylose that will congeal in the gut. If overcooked they glug straight into amylose and AS disaster.
Sushi rice rocks.
I used to like the simplicity of water absorption cooking of rice and of course rice cookers, but do not feel that is the healthiest way for ME to go.
Read a bit of the potato thing...
Reminds me of a picture i sent in some years back of a potato variety which was high in iodine content - it was of course very very purple as it was a self indicating starch package. I had seen these purple potatos from my days in Tasmania - the potato centre of Oz and John pointed out these were the close relatives of the s.american variety that Raleigh would have originally brought back to europe anyway in the 16th century.
Would love to have numbers on AS since those days and numbers for irish people and those who ate a lot of spuds...
I have to emphasise that most of my thinking on starches is my opinion/intuition and i could not find a lot of written stuff on it which related to my separation requirements of amylose/amylopectin. It may be that there may be more info found by chasing up on the enzymes required to deal with them - probably the iso-maltose iso-maltase trail.
I mentioned stearic hindrance - the only real part it may play is to actually define RS - nothing can digest it because it is hard to get at chemically so it just forms a blob which really becomes just an inert substrate and sure that has a use in the gut - so has bentonite clay. Some people made a big deal of amylopectin being hard to break down as the branches were difficult to get at - no problem - they would be just as difficult to get at for the Kp enzymes whereas the amylose glug is packaged up and a nice slow release possible for Kp colonies. The glug is also lying on the gut walls gluing up the vilii and causing physical damage. The bodies own glycogen does not seem to have any such availablity problems.
All good stuff to study.
Remember that most articles done as a study or research are by people who are usually very willing to correspond with interested parties - i had some good asides and leads from academics and researchers - don't have the same internet and time resources nowadays, but still interested.

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Still surviving AS
by stevec
10/13/18 11:00 AM
Hello kickers... long time since checking in
by Dotyisle
10/08/18 12:28 PM
Health insurance delaying medical services
by mutagen
10/06/18 08:52 PM
Cosentyx. Has anyone had success with this?
by Cre8tive1
10/04/18 04:34 PM
Pain where pectoralis minor inserts into the ribs?
by The_Inflammator
10/02/18 05:22 PM
Skin that burns and is sensitive to pressure
by Robin_H
09/22/18 10:57 PM
How I cured my AS (continued)
by davidchen
09/06/18 02:46 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 40,002,965
hmmm 2,120,954
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,766,957