Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223963 - 03/28/06 08:48 PM Acid reflux disease and AS
Scotty Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Does anyone know if Acid Reflux is related to AS symptoms at all. I know I have suffered with acid reflux for many years and think it may play a huge part in my AS progression gradually getting worse. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Scotty...

#223964 - 03/28/06 09:46 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
Megan Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey Scotty,
I was just going to post the same question. I've had acid stomach problems for years, but in the last month, it's gone to acid reflux too...and it's driving me insane. No acidic food or drink, and 300mg ranitidine/day and it's still there.
This is the weird part - the only time when it DOESN'T bother me is when I'm taking prednisone. Figure that out.

#223965 - 03/28/06 10:09 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines

Hi, Scotty:

I would estimate that AS is one of the myriad symptoms of AS--in fact, the whole alimentary tract seems to be involved at one time of one kind or other. Yes, I have had GERD and cured myself of this--SO FAR (16 years and counting). NSAIDs certainly exacerbated this aspect, but others with AS and not so affected have also developed this condition. Good luck to You,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#223966 - 03/29/06 08:01 AM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
Nonnie Offline
Steel_AS_Kicker

Loc: Virginia
Hi Scotty,

It's a beautiful day here in Virginia. I hope others out there are getting some sunshine also.

I was just diagnosed with AS in January, but had so many problems for years. I can tell you that GERD or acid reflux has been a major one for me for at least 15 years. I've had several endoscopys and they did the balloon thing to open the esophagus more. I don't smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine. I'm sure you know those things can make it worse. Right now I take Protonix two times a day and still have problems with heartburn. I saw an improvement when I started it a couple of years ago. I also take extra strength Gaviscon as needed. I've been on quite a few different meds for it(Zantac, Axid, Prilosec(prescription)etc. I can't remember them all. I also have a hiatal hernia which doesn't help. A lot of the meds we take for joint pain make it worse. I used to have a bigger problem with my lower digestive system. I sometimes wonder if all the meds for the upper slowed down the problems I was having with the lower. And of course, today I am prepping for my 2nd colonoscopy in the last week.(cross your fingers) I've had an increase in other AS symptoms since last January, which led to my diagnosis. Of course, increasing my meds because of that has upset my stomach more. I'm not sure which makes it worse the AS or the meds for AS. I'd be interested to know also. Take care, Wanda

#223967 - 03/29/06 09:25 AM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Megan]
Scotty Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Thanks for all your replies, and to Dragonslayer? Did the NSD cure you of acid reflux?

#223968 - 03/29/06 02:17 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
WifeOfNG Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: Everett, WA
Hey Scotty,

I dont know the exact answer, but I can say I have had Acid reflux problems over the yrs too. Seems that quite a few people with AS get this. Who know? Sometimes I wonder how AS doesnt affect us!

#223969 - 03/29/06 07:45 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines

Hi, Scotty:

I did not know about the NSD when it became so extreme, but I had already overcome AS once--by fasting, so after 17 days there was no GERD, ulcers, etc, and few AS symptoms except for the remaining damage. There was some minor relapse subsequent to this, but by then I knew about antibiotics and the NSD.

The NSAIDs had perhaps exacerbated problems that had remained 'below the radar' before, and I believe mostly that, once off these, I was not quite as susceptible to GERD as before. With the understanding of just how much fasting will reduce the bacteria, it is no longer a mystery why it helped me so much.

Health to You,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#223970 - 03/29/06 09:55 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
Deborah Offline
Platinum_AS_Kicker

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi Scotty,

I had acid reflux about 5 years ago quite bad. No amount of prescription medication could help. When I had an x-ray done I found out it was a hiatus hernia. I had an operation to repair it and have not had a problem since. I have no idea if this is related to AS but I know it can be an annoying problem and I sure do not miss it. Hope you find some answers that help you. Have you had the x-ray done that diagnoses a hiatus hernia? That may be your problem???

Debbie

#223971 - 03/29/06 11:50 PM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
xheathernaughtyx Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker

Loc: Boston, Lincolnshire
hi
i get a lot of acid reflux, heartburn etc, but i think mine is mostly down to my meds irritating my already fragile stomach. I am taking omeprazole, which has helped a lot but still get some symptoms. It is kind of interesting the responses to this post that so many of us have AS and so many get acid reflux!
take care
heather

#441126 - 04/25/11 05:58 AM Re: Acid reflux disease and AS [Re: Scotty]
jstdiven Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have not posted in awhile, I hope this helps someone else. I have had chronic acid reflux for over a year from taking NSAIDS.
I can not take PPIs, instant sever headache if I try. I had raised the head of my bed, don't eat for three hrs before bed ect ect for over a year. Recently, I started chewing Gaviscon tablets after meals and before bed. I also take a generic Zantac before bed. Instantly, I noticed my inflammation in my back (particularly neck and thoracic) is gone. The movement of my neck and even rib cage (already fused) is noticeably better and getting better by the day. I do not take any other meds for AS or reflux. I eat a normal diet of stuff I prob should not eat. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Weak legs
by fonzy
10/13/20 01:14 PM
Fever from AS flares
by sBrian
10/04/20 10:36 AM
VACCINE for COVID-19--CONCERNS
by DragonSlayer
09/30/20 10:29 AM
Are AS and Ulcerative Colitis connected at all ?
by MarkyT
08/13/20 06:14 PM
juvenile idiopathic arthritis Enthesitis-related
by Missalicia
07/31/20 12:21 AM
How many of us had / have covid?
by DonCA
07/23/20 03:19 AM
As Patient You Tube Channel- brand new. all welco
by kristenlittle
06/14/20 07:58 PM
(Views)Popular Topics