Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#214817 - 12/31/05 08:12 PM Meditation for AS
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Loc: NSW, Oz
A few years back I went on a short Buddhist meditation retreat and I remember that my AS symptoms improved considerably at the time. I often wanted to go back to that retreat, but somehow I never did. It was a long time ago and my memory is a bit sketchy...

The meditations centred on wishing 'loving kindness' (metta) for others, and that they "be well and happy" .. first starting with those that are most dear to us (partners, family friends), then gradually widening this to colleagues, then to those in our town, then the entire region, then the entire country, then the world, then the entire universe.

Here is a very similar exercise I found on the net (almost identical) :

Quote:

Loving-Kindness Meditation

The original name of this practice is mettabhavana, which comes from the Pali language. Metta means ‘love’ (in a non-romantic sense), friendliness, or kindness: hence ‘loving-kindness’ for short. It is an emotion, something you feel in your heart. Bhavana means development or cultivation. The commonest form of the practice is in five stages, each of which should last about five minutes for a beginner.

1. In the first stage, you feel metta for yourself. You start by becoming aware of yourself, and focusing on feelings of peace, calm, and tranquillity. Then you let these grow in to feelings of strength and confidence, and then develop into love within your heart. You can use an image, like golden light flooding your body, or a phrase such as ‘may I be well and happy’, which you can repeat to yourself. These are ways of stimulating the feeling of metta for yourself.

2. In the second stage think of a good friend. Bring them to mind as vividly as you can, and think of their good qualities. Feel your connection with your friend, and your liking for them, and encourage these to grow by repeating ‘may they be well; may they be happy’ quietly to yourself. You can also use an image, such as shining light from your heart into theirs. You can use these techniques - a phrase or an image - in the next two stages as well.

3. Then think of someone you do not particularly like or dislike. Your feelings are ‘neutral’. This may be someone you do not know well but see around. You reflect on their humanity, and include them in your feelings of metta.

4. Then think of someone you actually dislike - an enemy. Trying not to get caught up in any feelings of hatred, you think of them positively and send your metta to them as well.

5. In the final stage, first of all you think of all four people together - yourself, the friend, the neutral person, and the enemy. Then extend your feelings further - to everyone around you, to everyone in your neighbourhood; in your town, your country, and so on throughout the world. Have a sense of waves of loving-kindness spreading from your heart to everyone, to all beings everywhere.

I found the above by googling for things like: mettabhavana meditation "be well" Loving-Kindness
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)

#214818 - 12/31/05 08:28 PM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)

#214819 - 01/02/06 10:11 AM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
Inanna Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Zark, thanks for posting these. How do you find it most comfortable to meditate? I use a walking meditation, since my hips and knees stiffen far too much to be comfortable if I sit in lotus.

Hugs,

"Frost Moon" by Nene Thomas

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

#214820 - 01/02/06 03:29 PM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
xheathernaughtyx Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker

Loc: Boston, Lincolnshire
hi
i find meditation a very good thing too, i am all for it. Its very good for stress and general wellbeing, however i do find it very limited for trying to control pain, but its deffo always worth a try.
take care
heather

#214821 - 01/02/06 10:03 PM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
vizreal Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I am very interested that you feel that meditation helps you. Let's just say that I was raised in a "non-meditative" environment. Now I'm a lot older, and have been interested in it because of some scientific beliefs I've aquired along with some of my own theories which are probably not new at all I tried some meditiation awhile back. Had no clue what i was doing but do you know what i found!!!? I felt a lot better for awhile!!! It really helped! I haven't done it in awhile and i miss it. The reason I stopped doing it was because it usually took me at least an hour. I started to feel "hemmed in" by the amount of time because there were other things I wanted to do also. If I spent less time, i didn't find as much success in the exercises. I'd love to find ways to shorten it but still get benfit from it. I noticed specifically that i was way more focused at work, less edgy (swiss for cranky) at work in high stress situations, I did have less pain, and once i managed to head off one of my killer migranes before it officially arrived and that was really something! I didn't know what i was doing, and it was all just practice and curiosity for me but it made a believer out of me!!! Maybe I should try it while i try my exercises at the same time...i wonder if i could do them both at once. The exercises are a little distracting but I think I'll try it Anyway, I think it's great for some of what ails us...I was really floored by the results! Ames

#214822 - 01/03/06 01:44 AM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: vizreal]
xheathernaughtyx Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker

Loc: Boston, Lincolnshire
Hi
I learnt meditation out of books (this was before i had the internet!) As far as i am aware its all in the breathing (it can be done even with thoracic involvement) and focusing the mind. Do u have some calming relaxing music just for meditating too, i find that helps. I beleive it does take some practice to get it rite tho. I find half hour is enough or if i have a major stress on up to an hour is needed. Maybe its poss u could train urslef to do it a for lesser amount of time, i certainly understand the problems of time management, i work part-time have 2 kids and live on my own, oh and have 6 cats! I have been told for many years its important to set a aside a little time to urself for general wellbeing, but granted its easier said than done!
I have read some books that say u can meditate waiting at traffic lights for a min or 2! I howver have never tried this as i am unsure of its safety! And i know i get narked at the person in front of me if they hang about on a green light, wouldnt want to inflict that on others lol
take care
heather

#214823 - 01/19/06 01:22 PM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Zark,

Good thread

Have just mentioned in another post that I learned to meditate on a course last year - that had I known was going to be so meditation-intensive it would have put me off, as I'd tried years ago and always had problems with external noises and internal yatterings. Thankfully, I didn't realise it was going to be so full-on, and just launched myself into it - finding it wonderfully relaxing, yet intense and partially addicitive - in some respects!

It has helped me immeasurably with recent events, learning how to tap into it properly was easily one of the best things I learned last year, or as I've just said in the other post - EVER!

Saw this recently: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/dn8317 an article entitled "meditation builds up the brain" - it makes interesting reading.

Love the Buddhist/Zen approach to most things, being truly 'present' is a gift in itself, and I think it what helped me being able to meditate so deeply.

J

#214824 - 05/04/06 08:34 PM Re: Meditation for AS [Re: zark]
zark Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker

Quote:

quoted from: http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/Hea...erapies.htm#top

Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy & Ankylosing Spondylitis

All physical diseases including cancer, heart disease and even skin complaints have been helped with Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy. The power of suggestion and mental imagery is a tool all too often overlooked but which can be of immense help to Ankylosing Spondylitis sufferers. Remember also that Ankylosing Spondylitis is a stress related disease and Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy are both excellent aids to help control emotional stress.

There has been at least one study involving hypnotherapy and arthritis. In one instance (1), reported levels of pain, anxiety, and depression, and plasma levels of beta-endorphin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin were measured in 19 arthritic pain patients before and after hypnosis. Correlations were found between levels of pain, anxiety, and depression and following hypnotherapy, there were clinically and statistically significant decreases in pain, anxiety, and depression and increases in beta-endorphin-like immunoreactive material. This reveals that hypnotherapy may well play an important role in conquering the painful symptoms associated with Ankylosing Spondylitis.

One dramatic case was reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association ( 2) of a 10 year old girl diagnosed as having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis which had responded minimally to large doses of aspirin and physical therapy over a period of 7 weeks. The doctors decided to try hypnotherapy and 4 hours after her second session, the girl was able to ride her bicycle and was free from any pain. Two further reinforcing sessions were given and the girl remained well for the three years to the time of the report.

(1) Biochemical correlates of hypnoanalgesia in arthritic pain patients. Domangue BB; Margolis CG; Lieberman D; Kaji H - J Clin Psychiatry Jun 1985, 46 (6) p 235-8,

Moderator:  fyrfytr187, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Guy claims to know the cure for AS must see!
by L33
10/11/17 04:57 PM
women who have as
by connieb
10/02/17 11:43 PM
taken off biologic, help
by Winter
10/02/17 06:51 AM
Drinking diluted bleach eliminated symptoms
by Robin_H
09/30/17 09:29 PM
pain pump