Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19392 - 02/25/02 05:42 PM Links [Re: DragonSlayer]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
For Carol Sinclair's "The IBS Starch--Free Diet" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091815134/qid=1014679548/026-1017966-2544419.

Another good book is: Zampieron et all: "Arthritis: An Alternative Medicine Definitive Guide." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1887299157/qid=1031417460/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-4622339-3403111?v=glance&s=books&n=13996

Another recommendation, written by another AS sufferer, Jackie Le Tissier "Food Combining for Vegetarians:" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0722527632/qid=1014680383/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5260311-1101639

Looks like a winner: Elain Gottschall's "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0969276818/qid=1021942300/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1003764-2655110

They might have some products we could experiment with:
http://www.glutenfreemall.com....

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#19393 - 03/19/02 05:32 PM Crackers [Re: DragonSlayer]
Starfish Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: NC
Crackers

1/4 lb grated cheddar cheese
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup oil
3 tblsp cold water
Coarse salt(and/or sesame seeds or poppy seeds)

Mix together all ingredients except the coarse salt(sesame or poppy seeds). Form mixture into a ball and refrigerate about 15 minutes or until firm. Roll the ball out into a flat thin layer. Press in coarse salt and/or sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Cut into squares and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

These are crispy and really good!!!! If you don't have sage or thyme you can always use oregano, basil or whatever you like. Some specialty grocery stores will carry almond flour in bulk. Otherwise, you can purchase it online at http://www.almondsonline.com

Enjoy!
Meredith

made linkable

Edited by DragonSlayer on 03/19/02 07:43 PM (server time).

#19394 - 04/30/02 07:19 AM Crustless Spinach Quiche [Re: DragonSlayer]
Starfish Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: NC
Crustless Spinach Quiche

1 9oz Pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach
2 cloves garlic minced
5 Eggs
2 Cups shredded cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Thaw and drain spinach. Saute garlic and spinach in a little oil or butter for a few minutes or until all liquid evaporates. Beat eggs and combine with cheese, salt and pepper. Combine spinach with eggs and then pour into a lightly greased pie pan. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

I usually use cheddar cheese and sometimes a little feta, but any cheese of your liking will work. The original recipe calls for 3 cups of cheese, but I found this to be excessive. Although I have not tried it, I'm sure that meat could be substituted in place of the spinach.

Enjoy!

Edited by Starfish on 04/30/02 08:26 AM (server time).

#19395 - 05/02/02 06:39 PM Link with recipes [Re: DragonSlayer]
hawkman Offline
Commanding_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Union , Alabama
I found this site " Upper Canada Lower Bowel Society " they have lots of recipes that should be good for us , I saw quite a few recipes using almond flour http://www.uclbs.org/bmc.htm . Enjoy !

Bruce

#19396 - 05/15/02 02:42 PM Re: Recipes and important links [Re: DragonSlayer]
ouch_in_LA Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
Carrot Curls

This recipe may be used as a substitute for potato chips or when something crisp is desired.
Using a potato peeler, make curls out of about 3 carrots.
Deep fry in oil until they turn golden brown.
Drain in a colander or strainer. Refrigerate oil for next batch.
(Do not use oil more than 3 times as it may become rancid.)
Turn carrot curls onto a paper towel and pat dry.
Salt to taste.

Vanilla Candy/Becky's Magic Toffee (I kind of combined the two recipes)

1/2 C. Water
1 lb. honey (about 2 cups)
1 tsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbl. butter
1 Tbl. baking soda

Heat honey, vinegar, and water in a large pot.
Allow to boil gently until a firm ball forms when dropped into cold water.
Remove from heat, place pot in sink, add vanilla, butter, and baking soda.
Stir briskly but only until baking soda is thoroughly blended in and toffee mixture foams up.
When the foaming begins to subside, pour into a well-buttered pan and cool.
When candy is firm enough, it may be cut into bite size pieces using kitchen shears or cracked with a blunt instrument. (I refrigerated it, then cut it with a knife when it was firm enough, then wrapped the pieces in waxed paper like carmels.)

Variation: When candy has cooled enough to handle, it can be pulled like taffy and then cut into pieces.

Recipes taken from Elaine Gottschall's "Breaking the Vicious Cycle"

#19397 - 05/15/02 02:52 PM Re: Recipes and important links [Re: ouch_in_LA]
ouch_in_LA Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

Soda Pop Replacement

Mix grape juice - no sugar added (Welches is the most reliable according to Elaine Gottschall - other brands say no sugar is added, but aren't truthful) with soda water.

Very nice fizzy drink for those of us who were soda junkies in our "past life!"

#19398 - 07/25/02 01:03 PM Grilled Veggies, Fajita & Taco Seasoning, Jello [Re: DragonSlayer]
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Central Illinois, USA
Hi All,

Just wanted to save some recipes from posts. My hard drive is not a safe place.Hope you don't mind that i did not document sources.

ike

Grilled Veggies

You may grill any veggie you like. Cut about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. They may be grilled plain - which gives a stronger, sweeter flavor or brush with
a Italian dressing, flavored vinegar, olive oil, liquid aminos or soy sauce if you can use.
The veggies may be sprinkled with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ginger, lemon juice or any spice you wish to try. Some veggies take longer to cook than others. I start with 3 min. and add 2 more each time I check. ( If I think they are not soft enough. The ones with the most water content take about 3 min. After removing from the grill I put in a covered dish, to set while the rest cook. I cook for 4.
You may put very thin sliced garlic and/or onions and/or mushrooms on top of meat. It takes 3 or 4 min extra to cook.
If you want the veggie to have flavor from the meat place it on bottom half of grill and meat on top. The juices will run and lightly flavor the veggies.
I cook all kinds of squash, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, green beans (strung and whole), egg plant - no need to soak in water- just sprinkle on seasoning and grill (very good with all kinds of seasonings) also may put spaghatti sauce or cheese on when grilled.
Asparagus - whole, tomato sliced (brush with oil first - they stick)
Broccoli - stalks sliced long ways - good with almond slices toasted.

If you do not like veggies - try grinding up a 2 carrots and a zucchini and cook for about 20 min extra. It thickens the sauce and you do not taste the veggies.

Fruits may be grilled also. ginger is one good spice a little butter brushed on after a couple minutes of grilling.
Apple, pineapple, peach, pear are also good grilled .

Taco Seasoning

Mix together 3 T chili powder, 1T salt, 1T garlic powder, 1.5 tsp black pepper, 3/4 tsp red pepper. Brown and drain your ground beef, add about 1 T of this mixture (more or less to your liking) with 1/4 cup water and let simmer.
I mix quite a bit up and keep in a airtight container

Fajita Marinade

For fajitas I use 1 cup of Italian Dressing, 1 cup of salsa and 1 TBS lime juce and 1 TBS Worcestershire's. I slice my meat up toss it in a ziploc bag with the ingredients from above. Refrigerate over night. Just turn the baggie over everytime you open the fridge. Then cook your meat as you would without the marinade.

Thanks for the tip about the lime juice. The fajitas (can be either beef, chicken or turkey) will have the meat, onion, red & green pepper slices wrapped in a lettuce leaf.
We used green leaf lettuce for the tacos and it wrapped very nicely. The lettuce didn't fall apart like soft or hard shells do, so I was pretty excited about that aspect too

Jello

I make my own jello.

1 pk gelatin for each cup of water
add extract to taste (I like strawberry)
sweeten to taste

#19399 - 07/30/02 12:38 AM Re: Recipes Link scdiet [Re: DragonSlayer]
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Central Illinois, USA
Hi All,

Here is a link to many recipes based on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Some are No-Starch others are Low Starch. None contain grains or Lactose.

Beware of beans, peanuts, nut flours, bananas, sunflower seeds, squash and a few other indredients. They do contain some starch. Even the yohgurt has been known to trigger some AS sufferers. (myself included)

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html

#19400 - 08/01/02 10:07 PM Re: Recipes and important links [Re: DragonSlayer]
ouch_in_LA Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

"Blackening Rub"

Mix the ingredients below and keep in an airtight container until ready to use. Best if used within 6 months of mixing. This is great on beef, chicken and pork. Use about 1/2 tablespoon per pound. (I actually just use as much as it takes to cover all surfaces of the meat.)

2 1/2 Tbl paprika
1 3/4 Tbl salt
2 tbl garlic powder
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
3/4 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper (Vary to taste based on desired heat. If cooking for children or others sensitive to chili heat, you may want to start out with a 1/2 teaspoon.)
1 1/4 Tbl dried oregano
1 tbl dried thyme

Cover the meat with the rub, put in a plastic bag, then let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour. You can cook the meat with just the rub, or you can marinade the meat in the following marinade (let soak for at least half an hour):

"Creole Marinade"

4-6 crushed or pressed garlic cloves
1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp rough chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp rough chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp rough chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup olive or canola oil

Mix and let sit out overnight to blend flavors. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use. Best if used within six months of mixing.

My husband and I also like to brush our "rubbed" steak with the following mop sauce instead of using the marinade:

"Basic Barbeque Mop Sauce" (This is taken from "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen)

2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 Tbl coarse salt
1 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 jalepeno pepper, thinly sliced

Place the vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot pepper flakes in a nonreactive bowl and whisk until salt dissolves. Stir in the onion and jalapeno. Taste for seasoning, adding black pepper or hot pepper flakes as necessary. Brush on grilled beef, chicken or pork once the outside is cooked. The mop sauce can be made several hours in advance but use it the same day.

NOTE: Don't let all the talk of peppers scare you away from these!! They aren't hot at all, if made just like the recipes say. The peppers just add a nice richness.

#19401 - 08/01/02 10:12 PM Re: Recipes and important links [Re: ouch_in_LA]
ouch_in_LA Offline
Warrior_AS_Kicker

"Strawberry Sauce"

I made a very yummy sauce the other night. I was just dying for something sweet, so threw this together. I just ate it like a soup/pudding, but if you can eat ice cream, it would be fantastic on it!!

2 cups fresh strawberries
2 Tbl honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp rum extract
1/2 cup water

Heat all ingredients to boiling in a saucepan. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

ENJOY!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Anti-TNF medication and HPV/molluscum contagiosum
by GeorgiT
08/22/17 05:22 PM
New issues
by Gman1970
08/20/17 11:17 PM
Confused - AS
by jay_bharat
08/18/17 03:45 AM
Mayo clinic