Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165556 - 07/31/04 11:02 PM Fantasy football league--retry
wolverinefan Offline

Loc: Motown
Hi all,

Well, back when the old forum was up, I tried this post and got a very tepid response (thanks to Dorothea, Cat, and Tim for responding there, and Lori here), but I thought I wouldn't go down without a fight and would try posting it here in its rightful sporting home before I give up.

For those of you who've played fantasy football, I'm proposing an eight-team (likely, I'd do more, but don't think we'll get it) league that I'd run through the free section at Yahoo. I volunteer to be commisioner and set up the draft, etc., if seven other folks were interested.

C'mon, it's free and it's fun! I'm just stunned that there aren't at least seven folks here who play the game--I'm in four leagues myself, and I have been playing since before the Internet, when we had to check all results in USA Today every Monday then fax out results. That's ancient times, folks! And don't be shy if you've never played--Cara and Dorothea are both newcomers, so you wouldn't be alone!

If you're interested, post here or send me a private message here at KA. The season starts the first week of September, so if we're going to do this, we need to get organized within the next couple weeks.

Brad

Sounds like everything takes time, discipline, and patience, and those are seven things I don't have.
--Jon Dore

#165557 - 07/31/04 11:09 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
cheerful Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Brad

How does it work?? I don't know anything about NFL but I do watch CFL all the time. Let me know and others so maybe others will join in as well.

John

#165558 - 07/31/04 11:24 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: cheerful]
dorothea Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

Loc: regina, canada
Hi John,

... join the club ! I know next to nothing about the NFL. It can't be all that different from the CFL, can it ? Guess we'll find out ... all I know is that unlike the CFL with 3 downs, there are 4 in the NFL. Other than that ... I am blissfully ignorant.

And John, if you can talk others into joining, that would be great ... Cat

#165559 - 07/31/04 11:52 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: cheerful]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
John/Cat,

Basically you draft players from the NFL for a team of your own. Typically start one QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's/TE's, a kicker and a defense.

Your teams points for the week are generated from how the players you start do. There are point only leagues (score points with TD's, FG's, extra points, safety) and there are point and yardage leagues (more complex). I am in two leagues each year, one of each. But I prefer point only leagues.

That is a brief description.

Take care,

Tim

Hope is only a post away with KickAS.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#165560 - 08/02/04 11:12 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
wolverinefan Offline

Well, thanks to those who replied, and by this point, you all know who you are! lol (thanks for upping the count by one John!) However, it appears that this was an idea whose time was yet to come here at KA. I'm very surprised by this--we've always had a lot of diehard sports fans, and football is the biggest spectator sport in the country (well, after NASCAR), so I thought we'd have no problem getting eight folks. Shows what I know!

Maybe next year!

Brad

Sounds like everything takes time, discipline, and patience, and those are seven things I don't have.
--Jon Dore

#165561 - 08/04/04 01:40 AM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
Gimpy_As Offline
Commanding_AS_Kicker

Loc: Caledonia, Michigan
Hey Brad,

How many ya got? Im in if it is still in the works.

Bob

Got an itch? Scratch it!! Scratchboard Art by R. Berendt

[teal]Got an itch? Scratch it!![/teal] [maroon] Scratchboard Art by R. Berendt [/maroon]
Copyright 2004 do not use without permission

#165562 - 08/04/04 02:33 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
Cara Offline
Major_AS_Kicker

Loc: MI, USA
Hi Brad,
Is it a go? Gosh, I can't wait for the football season to start. I am hoping that the Lion's can actually win on the road this year. They keep talking about how great the team is going to be. Only time will tell.

Hi Tim,
How is it determined who gets to select which player first? You know I will have pick good old Brett for my QB.

Take care,
Cara

#165563 - 08/04/04 03:29 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
wolverinefan Offline

WEll, I guess if some more folks do express interest in the next week or two, we would still have time to do a quick draft and have a league. We're up to five now, so if we could get three more, we could do it. So, I won't say that it's a no go yet--just that it's still looking a little iffy.

If we don't get enough interest for a league, I'll create a team call the AS Kickers and sign up to play in a league. That team will represent all ASers in the world of fantasy football, and I'll post weekly updates as to how the team is doing.

Brad

--Jon Dore

#165564 - 08/04/04 05:17 PM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: Cara]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Well Cara,

If you want Bret you can have him

Who goes first? Good question.... I am in two on-line leagues, one is with all my bodies from where I first lived after college. 9 of the 12 still live in that town, they meet one day for pizza (starch) one Friday close to the draft and determine the order (names in a hat typically). Now with that league determining the divisions and division names since so many teams is much more interesting (2 divisions of 6).

Other league I only know 3 of the other people, couple of my high school buddies and people they know. I honestly do not know how they decide it. But the draft is performed on-line and everyone is on line (or you can rank your players prior and will draft from your rankings if you do not want ot be on-line).

To anyone that wants to join it is fun and makes games more interesting to watch on Sundays. But I would suggest buying one Fantasy Magazine or visiting one free website to get a feel for who to draft. Can make a big difference if you are new to this. RB's go early, they are the most valuable..... your elite QB's and WR's will go rounds 1-3, otherwise most will go in the middle/late rounds. Kickers and defenses will go later.

That is my Fantasy advice unless someone wants some more specific

Tim

Hope is only a post away with KickAS.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#165565 - 11/24/04 04:08 AM Re: Fantasy football league--retry [Re: wolverinefan]
arthur Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: california,dixon
Is it to late to join? Arthur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  fyrfytr187, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Weak legs
by fonzy
10/13/20 01:14 PM
Fever from AS flares
by sBrian
10/04/20 10:36 AM
VACCINE for COVID-19--CONCERNS
by DragonSlayer
09/30/20 10:29 AM
juvenile idiopathic arthritis Enthesitis-related