Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27
J
J
What strain do you use or recommend? I heard only certain strains work for inflammation and pain. Thanks

S
S

I'd also love to hear more about strains to try? I am interested in CBD. I live in the UK but understand CBD can be purchased online from the U.S.

L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
I have had mixed reactions on two different occasions when I smoked Marijuana.

The first time I took it for pain my pain increased tremendously and it did not help. The second time I tried from a different supplier and I had good pain relief. I could hardly move my neck with it being so stiff and painful, after having some weed my neck loosened up and I started flexing it in all directions. I even heard some cracking sounds while moving it around.

I think the reason for it not working and then working is because I had purchased two different strains of Stavia

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

N
New_Member
New_Member
N
I'm wondering if there is anyone around that is familiar with medical marijuana, prescribed by a doctor for your ankylosing.

I am in Canada and just received my oil to begin trying it. My condition has gone downhill so fast in the last six months. What a scary situation. Life is changing so quickly and my new setbacks are so life altering.

So I thought the medical marijuana might be the answer to the pain anyway. I've been reading so much good about this. I was adamant that I didn't want THC but after meeting with the doctor, she recommend two different strains.

One dose in the morning that is mostly CBD and the night dose with is to help with insomnia and it has the same amount of CBD as the daytime one but added into it, is THC. I didn't like the idea of that stoned feeling. I think it's a horrific feeling and was told that it's such a small amount that I wouldn't likely feel anything.

My starting dose is .25 ml and I'm to work my way up to where I feel comfortable. Up to 8ml per day or in flower for would equal 1 gram.

So I got the oil on Friday morning and took the first dose. Omgoodness. This one was the daytime one with only a trace of THC. Regardless, something made me as high as a kite. I'm sensitive to drugs so I'll chalk it up to that but really, this is such a small dose.

I developed a headache that is not going away. It's now Monday morning and this headache is still with me. I'm also getting random stabbing pain in crazy spots. One spot being the side of my head, one spot deep in my left leg and then another crazy place was the front of my face. I never had these random things before.

I still feel like I have that stoned, fuzzy feeling and when I take the nighttime one with more THC, I can't seem to fall asleep? I can't figure this out. If the CBD is used to help people with anxiety (as I've read) then why would a doctor prescribe a dose of the THC at bedtime for someone with insomnia. I would think the THC would stir you right up.

Anyway, I find this all so overwhelming and I wonder if this side effect of "fuzzy, stoned, I have zero motivation" will pass after awhile. I am so not a fan of this feeling and I had such high hopes.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks so much. If I can be of any help to any of you, please let me know.

B
B
NayaBlu, like so many things (all?) our individual responses vary. The first time I tried medical M, it was a capsule I was given, which was WAY too potent and had two effects. It made me high as a kite, completely loopy, and it made me acutely aware of the pain in my body, in a kind of detached, observer type of way. Where I lay on the bed and thought "Ah, look at how those pain pathways move through my body", yet didn't really care.

Given that experience, you might wonder why I persisted? I am stubborn like that.

I know it's probably better to use the high concentrates, but truth be told I only do that just before going to bed, because I find the dosing very tricky and I don't want to end up feeling high. When you have ingested it, it takes forever and a day to get it out of your system. So I am OK overnight, but for daytime I currently stick with smoking. I know it can't be good for the lungs, but it allows me to dose it just so. I know quickly if I am getting enough pain relief, and if I do make a mistake and take too much it is brief compared to the ingested concentrates.

As for CBD vs THC, I believe in a somewhat balanced approach myself. Again, I suspect individual experiences vary, but for me a VERY high CBD with no THC to balance it actually gives me fight or flight syndrome, I feel very rushed and adrenalized. If I use a 1/1 ratio of CBD and THC or a 2 / 1 is OK as well, I get much better results. Different strains act differently, even when they are virtually the same CBD/THC content, so it can take a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.

I am so grateful to live in a state where it is legal to use. I like it ever so much better than Vicodin.

Last edited by boel; 03/27/16 06:09 AM.
B
B
Oh, and I forgot to mention... some very high THC strains have been very effective for me with pain, without giving me a high feeling. I don't know if that is because the pain receptors block the high? But THC can definitely work on pain.

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
As one who has smoked cannabis most of my adult life (I'm now 55 and very successful, so there go the lazy stoner arguments) allow me to offer some suggestions to new consumers. First and foremost, just relax and go very slow to start. Whether you're smoking, vaping, or using edibles or oils, the amount to 'do the job' will vary from person to person, so always start with the smallest dose or no more than two puffs. Remember, no one has ever died from a cannabis overdose and you'd have to ingest about a semi-trucks worth before reaching lethal levels. Even if you pass out, cannabis does not inhibit your bodies ability to continue breathing or for your heart to keep beating like opiates can. Yes, today's cannabis is more powerful than what your grandma smoked at Woodstock, but that just means you need to use less. You may think you're going to die and may start to have an anxiety attack, but you'll be okay.

The reason I think most newbies start to have anxiety attacks are pretty obvious if you think about it. Many people still view cannabis as something bad or evil or illegal, so they're already putting themselves in a paranoid mindset. To me, cannabis IS medicine! If you're using this for pain relief you should feel no more quilt than you would when taking an aspirin or injecting yourself with Humira. Get over that right now! There is legitimate science backing this up and forget the fear mongering of the politicians and moralizers.

The bodily sensations you'll begin to feel as the medicine takes effect can be very disconcerting for many. You'll begin to notice things going on that you never picked up on before. You may become more aware of your heart rate, your breathing, notice sounds that were always there but you had tuned out before. Don't allow yourself to get into a negative feedback loop just because you're noticing some of these things now that you're more aware. Allow the medicine to show you what you need to work on. If you feel anxious it's probably because you were already anxious and the cannabis is pointing this problem out. God, that really sounds like something a hippie would say, but it's true.

If you still feel anxious/panicky, drink a glass of water and go outside for a walk to get your mind out of its self. Enjoy nature and stop focusing on what your body is feeling, it will pass. I've also heard that chewing 3-4 black peppercorns will help, but that may just be an old folk tale.

Finally, does cannabis really work? That's like asking if Humira really works. Some swear by it, some swear at it. For me personally, I can't say that the pain entirely goes away, but it just doesn't seem to bother me as much after smoking. If I'm smoking and consciously think of what might be hurting... then yes, I'm aware that I still hurt. But what it does for me is it lets me get my mind off of the pain and it actually does allow my neck and shoulder muscles to relax. I have a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders from not just bone fusion but also from fighting to maintain my posture as straight as I possibly can.

I'd definitely suggest anyone give it a try (if you can legally get it of course ;)) and see if it works for you. Even if it doesn't help the pain it's 100 times safer than alcohol and doesn't give you a hangover. Nothing wrong with laughing and enjoying everything at a higher intensity than before.

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
MikeGinnyMD,

The only time I notice the pain being worse while smoking is if I've been sitting still for a length of time and then stand up. Perhaps I'm so relaxed and less aware of the pain while smoking that it feels more intense when I stand up? But I'd have to say that overall I've never had my pain get worse while using cannabis. I'm sorry you're having this reaction. Maybe try a different strain?

Last edited by msmart; 04/01/16 09:04 PM.
M
New_Member
New_Member
M
JVentura,

It'll probably come down to trial and error. Just remember, there are two basic strains of cannabis... indica and sativa. Indicas (aka in-da-couch) will provide a more sedate feeling and is good for relaxing or sleeping. It's notorious for what we call 'couch lock' and shouldn't be used if you have things you'll need to get done later in the day. Sativas offer a more energetic or euphoric feeling and are good for lifting your mood and may help with depression in some people.

Of course there are also varieties that offer less THC (the psychoactive compound) and more CBD (the more socially accepted medical compounds) than others. If you are in an area that has cannabis readily available, I'd suggest dropping by a shop and speaking to a good budtender. You can usually purchase pre-rolled cigs that would allow you to try various varieties to see what works for you.

Good luck and have fun.

N
N
Interesting that some are using pot as part of the treatment for their autoimmune diseases when I have been wondering if my past use has caused it.

Yet waiting for my diagnosis.
Believing there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
HLAB27 negative
On the path to getting back to THE GOOD LIFE! Yeah!
Now working towards the solution instead of sitting in the problem.

Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!