Kickas.org
I have been on the NSD for around two years now. It's been a huge challenge, with mixed results, mostly positive though.

My latest issue - I get the most ridiculous dry mouth at night - My saliva is always dark red, almost bloody in colour. Started to wake me up very very regularly in the night too. I have read that dry mouth is very common in Atkins diets, I was wondering if anyone suffers?

Not taking any supplements. I eat salads once or twice a day, Eat a good amount of eggs / dairy / almond flour. I can get away with sugars and have avoided flair ups - but recently waking up in the night with terrible anxiety- and dry mouth - any help on this would be great!!
thanks /Andre
Hi, Andre:

I had dry mouth as a result of AS and less so after starting NSD, but my caveat is that I supplemented aggressively, and especially did the oils--EFAs, GLAs and vitE; these are very important!

Part of AS is Sjogren's Syndrome and it can affect our teeth, eyes, and even many other systems associated with our primary immune system.

Important to get enough vitD and for dry mouth take a couple of tablespoonfuls of magnesium citrate daily, also take some calcium, about 1:1 effective ratio. VitC is also important >1000mg daily. Electrolytes!

Now I have incipient diabetes so...more dry mouth! Can't win for losin'

HEALTH,
John
I just started using Xylitol (3 months now) to help remineralize my teeth (which has been working great).

One of the side effects is increased saliva production.

Basically after I brush my teeth at night, I take a packet of pure xylitol, pour it into my mouth and chew/swirl it around for a good 5 mins. I then spit it out, but don't rinse.

It's super safe to use, and diabetic friendly (low glycemic index). I also believe they are starch free (but you might want to double check).

These are the exact packets I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Xlear-Xylosweet-Pa...M0CKJA456VR9EX4
Maybe try to eat some more low fructose fruits for extra carbs, as well.? Eg. berries, cherries etc. Most citrus fruits are low fructose but I read mix reviews on their effect to those with auto immune conditions. I seem to be okay with them personally. I tended to be VERY low carb initially on NSD but somewhat rectified my anxiety and moodiness by adding a lot more carbs. I've recently added dextrose to ramp up my intake. Be careful with dextrose as some may not react well. If you're interested, you can check your levels by punching in what you eat here;
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
Are you taking any NSAIDS?

I've read a study that NSAIDS decrease the effectiveness of anti-anxiety medication.....which leads me to conclude that they may also decrease the effective of our natural well-being hormones / chemicals (ie. Serotonin etc.).

Before I read about this, I always noticed super higher anxiety levels after taking NSAIDS (my usual dose of 600mg ibuprofen).

What I found that really, really helps if this particular Rhodiola:
http://www.amazon.ca/sisu-RHODIOLA-STRESS-CAPS/dp/B00CORKXZY
(I'm sure you can find them cheaper)

I find it works best for me when I take 3 capsules, ten minutes before I take my NSAIDS. (Makes a HUGE difference for me!)

I once bought 2 other different brands of Rhodiola, and they did not help at all with the anxiety. Some add ginsing or other things. Plus supposedly there are like between 36-90 different Rhodiola species (Wikipedia).

Again, for whatever reason this one is the only one I've found that works for me!

I also take it when I feel anxious (usually morning anxiety) and it really helps.

Might be worth giving them a try.
I have also found relief from taking this combo which contains rhodiola;(adrenal health version)
http://www.allstarhealth.com/li.aspx?k=gaia+adrenal+health

I got the info about it from here;
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.ca/2013/12/how-to-cure-sibo-small-intestinal-bowel.html
I've had the horrible, night-time dry mouth, too, but not to the point of bleeding. Thrilled to know about rhodiola ... I have it here, but have only used it in the past as an antidepressant and for more energy. Will make a tea of it today (along with borage, an anti-rheumatic) as my anxiety has been bad lately.

It is also important to stay fully hydrated. For those of us whose immune systems have to work harder and longer, our bodies use more water to do just that. Recommended amount of daily water intake, as per Mayo clinic, is 1/2 of one's weight in ounces (or equivalent). So, a person who weighs 180 lbs would need 90 oz. per day. If you eat a lot of raw/watery veggies, less water is needed.
Anxiety could be from long term no starch. I believe long term a low carb diet increases cortisol hormone levels keeping you high anxiety and restless sleep. It certainly did for me until recently I added back in some resistant starch into my diet (e.g. unmodified potato starch powder, green bananas, and potatoes that have been cooked and then cooled for 24 hours before eating). Its early days for this experiment, but after 2 years of no starch, adding back in some resistant starch in the last 3 weeks.....I've never slept better. Look into resistant starch. Some of us are experimenting with it. No guarantee's though. Its just something you have to try for yourself but so far its making a huge difference for me.

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2014/02/resistant-starch-panacea-but-why.html
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Exactly one week on and this is what I decided to try:

supplements: Vit C / magnesium & calcium / Folic acid / extra virgin olive oil before bed. Also cut down on dairy and fried foods and added much more raw veg / ginger. Cut out caffeine completely and switched to fruit teas. Feel much better as a result, less dry mouth. Cutting our coffee always seems to make me calmer.

Also - as a bit of a test to I tried Glutinous Rice the other day, after two years of zero carbs.

https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=499988#Post499988

Interesting to read that it is around 100 percent amylose starch, so there is virtually no resistance starches at all. I have had some rice two nights in a row now and I feel unbelievably calm. I got some symptoms not long after eating, but nothing major, so I am going to keep testing, will report back....
Originally Posted By: andredenito
100 percent amylose starch

my bad - Glutinous Rice is 100% amylopectin starch.
Hi andredenito, glad you're trying the glutinous rice smile Hope it works for you ok. Really good to get some constructive feedback - both positive and negative.
Wow, I'm really fascinated to see more people getting the same health issues I have been battling with. First proctitis, and now dehydration at night. OK here is some stuff from my notes:

-- Worsens my dehydration at night: --
*** Tired / Going to sleep too late. Weakens immune system / liver?
*** preservatives. 220 & maybe Benzoates too. Herx reaction? (death of mould/fungus)
*** alcohol /preservative 220/yeast (champagne & sweet wines are high in preservatives). worse in 30-60min
** Yeast products
** Vinegar (except ACV?)
?? Cheese
?? Dairy - yoghurt, cream, cheese

So far working out things that help have been less clear-cut. I tried large doses of Lufenuron and that seemed to help, which implies a fungal issue. Also, foods that had a laxative effect seemed to help too.

But also have had at least one time where I ate very large amounts of salmon belly and felt better, this and the possible cheese/dairy issue implicate Omega6/Omega3 issue, similar with what Dragon pointed out re EFAs. Is it a result of being in fat burning mode I wonder? But then, eating amylopectin starch didn't help...
Hey dlee,
The link on resistant starch is very interesting smile

I read in one of the pages (maybe one that you posted) that Konyaku noodle has huge amounts of resistant starch. I need to check up on whether that is true.. BUT the good part is that I don't react to it. The odd thing is it doesn't react to iodine, so that is why I am wondering about whether it really does have resistant starch or not.
Hi Zark,

You might want to check out http://freetheanimal.com as well. A lot of people experimenting there with RS.

So far I've stuck to Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch, cooked and cooled Potatoes, and Green Bananas. I'm on NSAID's however I've noticed no noticeable increase in inflammation and massively improved sleep and bowel motions. These things improved almost immediately. I'm cycling NSAID's on and off whereas previously I just took 1 per day. I want to get off them.

Sleep quality is unbelievable. I've spent 12 years sleeping badly due to AS pain and the last 2 years sleeping badly (difficulty getting to sleep, sleeping lightly, waking up 5 - 6 times per night) possibly due to very low carb since going on no the no starch diet 2 years ago (also no dairy, low sugar/fruit) which I suspect boosted cortisol hormone overnight as a result when it should be at its lowest.

I look forward to going to sleep now. I'm out within 5 minutes usually and sleep is so much deeper. I wake maybe once per night and go right back to sleep. However the sleep quality is sooo much better. The other morning I woke up and had no clue as to where I was (I was in my own bed).

I tried a bit of rice that had been cooled for 24 hours as well the other night. It was Basmati which is supposed to be one of worst for AS I read (on one of your posts actually) but it seemed ok to me in a small dose.

I take 4 tablespoons of the Potato Starch a day (2 with evening meal and 2 about an hour before bed). I now eat Potato (cooked and cooled for 24 hours then reheated in duck fat) 3 times per week (post workout meals). And now trying Rice as well. Noodles is definitely on my list for a little further down the track.

For me, adding the Potato Starch powder was an exciting experiment which fixed sleep and BM's and gave me confidence to trying adding back in Potatoes, Green Bananas & Rice. I added these foods back in because recently....funnily enough I had an urge to eat them anyhow after not having any for 2 and a bit years, and I also liked the idea of a bit of variety for the colonization of any beneficial gut bacteria.

I feel much better as a result.
Hey dlee, I'm very interested in this. Maybe it needs its own thread though.

Here is the guy that mentioned Konjac: http://eatingoffthefoodgrid.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/resistant-starch-and-sibo.html
He said "konjac is basically super-concentrated RS." and this is what Konyaku noodle / Shiritake noodle is made from. I don't react! No pain at all smile
Apparently Konjak is not a RS but similar to it and seems to have the same benefits. There is a little bit on it in the article below about 2 thirds down.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegetable.../#axzz30i9wOeDx
Thanks dlee, very interesting smile
© Kickas.org