Kickas.org
Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post here. I have been recently diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis and put on Humira approximately 5 months ago. It has definitely helped in reducing (almost eradicating) the pain; however, maybe a month ago I started having issues with recurrent human papilloma virus (genital warts) and molluscum contagiosum in the genital area. I've never had issues with that prior to starting Humira. I was wondering if there is anyone in this forum that has experienced this as a side effect of any anti-tnf meds, and how did they deal with it. Is discontinuation of Humira the only way to tackle this? Please, if anyone has any experience, share, because this is really depressing me, and almost putting me to the point where I was 5 months ago. Thank you!
Hello JayTeee and welcome to KA!

Sorry to hear that you have this rotten diagnosis but glad to hear that Humira has been effective with reducing your pain so much! While I have not had experience with infections, the biologic class of meds do make us more susceptible to infections and it is a known risk since the medication lowers a part of the immune system.

Your Rheumatologist may be able to help with a strategy - they might be able to lower your dose or space out the frequency enough, or they might recommend a treatment break. I'm not sure but I do think you should be very careful to get this addressed as soon as possible. A recurring infection is not fun and best to take seriously.

I do hope you are able to get over this soon and will be able to stay on med since it's helping you so much.

Take care!
mig
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Anti-TNF medication and HPV/molluscum contagiosum - 08/26/17 12:33 PM
As someone who has in the past and at present suffered for infections due to Anti-TNF and even landed in hospital because of them I agree with mig. So take care great care the sooner a prob. is seen to the sooner it can be sorted.
© Kickas.org