Kickas.org
Posted By: newsjunkie Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/24/08 01:22 PM
Of course I am checking with the doc, and waiting to hear back, but I wanted to reach out to my kickas friends and see if anyone has had firsthand experience with this. I'm currently on Remicade, and obviously have a comprimised immune system, I want to get a tattoo next week . Its a small one, but I'm just worried about a risk of infection. I will be 2 weeks into my treatment when I get it done (if I get it done)
Anyone have any experience with this, not only remicade, but any immune supressing drugs? Thanks!
Posted By: JeanneMedina Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/24/08 08:59 PM
I don't know, but I don't think I'd trust the doc with this one. Unless a pharmaceutical has done some research on tatoos and are selling a drug, they have no idea what the effects might be. I would hold out like you are, doing your own research here, asking the people with experience.

My brother had a shamrock tattoo, and after he died, his son, and my sister, and a few of his friends went out and got shamrock tattoos to remember him.

I wanted a tatoo too, but I am affraid of putting the toxins in my body, not because I am on immune suppressing drugs (I'm NSD), but because I have a suppressed immune system and can't seem to handle toxins as well as most people. It's sucks and its not fair, but thats the way it is for me.

Do let me know how you do, maybe I'll change my mind
Posted By: Tim13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/25/08 12:05 AM
The problem with Remicade and other drugs like it, reduces your bodies ability to block an infection from entering your blood stream. You could get Sepsis. I've been on Humira and gotten my teeth done but I had to start antibiotics before and after the procedure. I would suspect a dental procedure is less invasive. As far as surgery my Rheumy suggested going off of the drug first.

Tim
Posted By: percypicklehead Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/25/08 01:35 AM
I have a tatoo of a horseshoe on my left cheek....not on my face...the doctor tried to tell me not to do it but he said to stop taking Enbrel 2 weeks before having it done.
Posted By: Angelmom Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/25/08 01:47 PM
Yes, I would be careful!

Maybe look up on Google to see if you can find any info or research, other people going thru the same thing.

I have no tatoo's but I have noticed over the last 4 or 5 years with AS that things I could normally do like I have my ears pierced twice.

My daughter and I decided to get our upper ear pierced (I had mine done before actually did it myself) but this time (proffesionally) she still has hers and I had to let mine grow back it hurt too much and stayed infected even with like sterling silver.

Also have had my nose pierced 2 times (the little cute tiny stud in the side) did them both myself first time no problem after time took it out and it grew back the next time same thing would not quit hurting, stayed infected.

So I have noticed over time my body able to handle less (intrusion) so it looks like my days of additional piercings or a tat might be over.

Good luck!
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/25/08 03:37 PM
Thank you for all of the feedback guys.
I think I'm gonna hold off for now, especially since I get my remicade infusions every 5 weeks as apposed to every 8 weeks, so I'm sure my immune system is even more compromised than someone who takes it at the 8 week mark. I dont want to push my luck, and so far I have tolerated the remicade very well.
I'll keep you all posted and let you know what the doc tells me when she gets back to me, even though I'm certain I'm going to get a big fat NO.
Thanks again!
Posted By: finnari Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/25/08 11:33 PM
I had one done 6-7 years ago and no problems while on enbrel. I had surgery no problems. But I take real good care of myself with nutrution, sleep and exercise. You gotta decide how bad you really want something, weight the risks and benefits.
Posted By: jpinperth Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/26/08 12:50 PM
Hi
I would be very careful, even if you didn't develop a systemic infection, I bet the healing time will be much longer and if by chance the tattoo became infected, the tattoo could become quite disfigured. That would just plainly suck, who wants a blob of color on their body which doesn't look like anything. So glad the Remicade is working well for you.

Janet
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 04/28/08 01:23 PM
My doc called me and left me a message saying it was fine that I get a tattoo and to just make sure I was going to a clean and reputable place. But now from everything I read on here, I'm not so quick to go get this done. Someone even mentioned Sepsis?!?! I'll have to actually speak to my doc and raise some of the concerns seen here before I make a decision, unfortunately I missed her when she called. Thanks for all of the feedback guys!
Posted By: Inanna Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/02/08 04:53 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question. I got the idea of getting a tatoo at the base of my spine (lower lumbar actually) about 10 years ago. At the time, I was hanging out with folk who had tatoos, so I decided to wait and see if I still wanted it after those people had moved on. I'm still thinking about it and know exactly what I want.

That said, I've been hesitating ... both out of fear of the pain involved and wondering about the Remicade. I'll ask my rheumy at my next infusion just to make sure, but ...

It seems to me that if you go to a reputable tatoo parlour, that uses clean needles and new inks on every person, there should be almost no risk of infection. But that's just my opinion.

Hugs,
Posted By: Boroboy Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/03/08 10:06 AM
Hi,
As previously stated by Kat, providing you use a reputable Tattooist, I think you'll be fine (my opinion only).
I myself am thinking about getting my first Tattoo, have been chewing it over for a while now, want to get my son's name on my inner forearm in Old English style lettering. Nothing to do with coming up to 40 soon Will I do it?? Not worried about the pain, just trying to make sure in my own mind it's what I really want. I start Remicade infusions again in two weeks time.
George.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/05/08 01:30 PM
Thanks for asking this, My husband and I wanted to get tattoos for our 10th in sept and now are thinking about the Enbrel. The lady we go to is very clean and we've never had issues/problems with any of our tattooists. If others have had it done without problem maybe I'll start thinking about it again! I'll talk to my dr as well.
Posted By: overcomer Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/22/08 04:40 PM
Due to computer problems, I've hardly been able to get on the site. Interesting question, though.

I've never seriously considered getting a tattoo, but I think it a good idea to mention that every time I've had an MRI (several since Dx'd with AS-probably 5 times now), I've had to deal with the question of having tattoos prior to having the MRI. Apparently, some older inks have metals in them, which can be sucked into the magnet. There are lots of questions on the pre-MRI screening questionnaire, several dealing with issues of having been a metal worker, shrapnel bits and tattoos. I don't like to think of what can happen if a stray piece of metal embedded in the body gets ripped out by the MRI, but I'm sure it's quite painful. I googled a website once that showed photos of metal items stuck in the magnet once-the most memorable being a metal office chair that was accidentally moved into the MRI room-the magnet is always "on" and it took 3 or 4 strong men to pry that chair out of there.

Something to think about for sure; I'm guessing that most of us have had MRI's during our diagnostic journey, and my most recent one was to prove that the Enbrel I've been on was indeed working (they compared images with my pre-Enbrel MRI-I had to jump these hoops to receive funding through our Provincial Drug plan-Trillium).

I believe a lot of the inks are metal free these days, but who can be sure? My greatest concern would be risking infection with Hepatitis from unclean practices. I recall a famous celebrity contracted Hepatitis from tattoo-ing (Pamela Anderson Lee, I think?).

All the best...
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/23/08 02:25 PM
Mythbusters proved that to be fake. I think there may have been one or two documented cases of burns from MRIs and tattoos, but i'm not sure.

I have lots of them and have never had a problem. I've also had lots of MRIs due to various health problems and have never had a problem. The only MRI issue I had was a pelvic MRI, I could feel my uterus moving inside along with the machine! It freaked me out a bit. I could also feel my eyes twiching with one for my head as well. The tech said it's rare but some can feel organs moving sometimes!

It's the same thing with IUDs They ask the question but none of the current IUDs will be bothered by an MRI according to both my gyn and MRI techs, although I still chickened out and don't have one.

As for tattoos yes I'm still interested, but I worry about sitting in a weird postion for hours. My tattooist is very nice and would be fine with breaks, but I still worry about getting sore.
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/23/08 02:41 PM
Gardengirl - Did you ever get any of your tattoos while on tnf blockers?

I haven't heard from anyone re: getting one while actually being on these meds. I'm planning on getting one 4th of July weekend, I will be 5 weeks into my remicade treatment at that time. I'm nervous but my doc ok'd it so I'm putting my trust in her.....

Thanks!

Jen
Posted By: Inanna Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/23/08 03:11 PM
Jen, I honestly think that if your doctor OKd it and if you're going to a reputable parlour that uses new needles and ink on every customer, you should be fine. Just keep the area as clean as possible and ask the artist about the best way to do that without wrecking the tat.

I would think, pharma company conspiracy theories aside, no doctor would OK a patient to do something that would be dangerous to their health.

Many hugs,
Posted By: overcomer Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/23/08 11:10 PM
2 interesting sites:

http://www.simplyphysics.com/flying_objects.html#

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/tatfaq/a/mri_scan.htm

Apparently it's the older inks...

Best...
Posted By: Inanna Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/26/08 07:51 PM
Sigrid!! Thank you for those! I love seeing urban myths explode.

I hope you are well.

Many hugs,
Posted By: Megan Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/26/08 09:54 PM
Sigrid,
Those are some great pics/links!
One of the research studies I was involved with years ago used MRI, so I spent a very long year screening patients and running them through MR brain scans.

I was using a 3.0 tesla MRI, so we had to be a bit more careful. The ones normally used in hospitals is 1.5T. I once accidently wore a toe ring into one of those 1.5T MR machines for a brain scan and was fine - didn't even dawn on me until I was getting dressed after the scan. oops.

We did have one woman wear an underwire bra into a machine, and it heated up, so we had to remove her - no issue there. Also, another had an undershirt on with tiny metallic threads that started heating up, so we removed her too. Can't say we had any problems with tattoos - we just made sure that all patients were aware to hit the alert button if they felt anything heating up. But all our patients were young women, so personally I haven't seen anyone with an older tattoo in an MR machine.

One other thing - we had alot of patients with metal fillings, and even braces, and they were all fine in the 1.5T MRI. So I'm pretty sure an older tattoo would probably be ok.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/29/08 12:19 PM
Jen, no tattoos since the new medications, but as others have said if your dr ok's it then don't worry.

I know plenty of people who have old military or prison or even homemade tattoos and not one has ever had MRI issues.

My MRI tech won't take anyones wedding ring off. He said he thinks the rings should stay where it is. I've felt it moving before but never burning.
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/02/08 04:49 PM
Ok, changed my mind again, both my rheumatologist and gastro doc gave me the ok on the tattoo. Sepsis is not a concern to either of my doctors, they just both advised that I go to a very reputable CLEAN place, which I will, so the plan is to get the tat on the 4th of July. I will keep you all posted, thanks for all of the input!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/04/08 12:31 PM
post a picture once it's healed!
Posted By: Trace Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/06/08 11:38 PM
It'll probably take longer to heal than what they tell you. Just be careful not to let the scab pull off because the inks will bleed. Ask lots of questions about caring for it afterwards (what ointments to use, how long to keep it covered, ...).
Good luck!
Trace
Posted By: Angelmom Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/08/08 06:25 AM
Yea we want to see a picture of it once it is healed!

Lisa
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/20/08 12:36 PM
OK, I've been off the Enbrel for a couple weeks and the insurance denied Remicade, so I went out and got my anniversary tattoo (my husband gets his tonight.)

All I can say is man it's was great to be back in that chair! It's so strange, it's almost theraputic. Causing pain that is wanted and intended is different then it was. Before I couldn't stand it, this time my lower back, hips knees everything stopped hurting. All I thought about was the tattoo and it made everything else go away! Of course as soon as I got in the car my lower backed started up and must have stored what I missed because I was in a good deal of pain. But the endorphins and adrenaline from the tattoo helped me deal with it.

But here are some photos. I hope it's OK to post so many here?

before

the stencil

during

after

It means to be in good health. I figured I need all the help in that department I can.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/20/08 03:58 PM
OK, the dr called while i was getting the tattoo. I called back just now and the nurse said they fought with my insurance company all day yesterday and they finally approved the Remicade!! So I'm glad I got this done now!
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 06/20/08 04:08 PM
Yay!! How can insurance companies deny these meds, those bastards LOL - I'm so glad you got the approval, and sweet tat!!

I may be postponing getting mine, only because of schedule conflicts with me and my girlfriends, but I will get it eventually, and post some pics if I can ever figure out how to do that on this site

Good luck with the remicade, it is working very well for me, I hope you have the same luck, all my best to you!

XOXO
Posted By: jessxo Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 09/14/08 03:50 PM
Interesting question and I'm glad u asked it. I am in the process of losing a few pounds and figured I'd get a "sweet tat" when I hit my goal (thinking angel wings). Have a few already, so didn't think anything of getting another but its a great point and something worth considering...
Posted By: jessxo Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 09/14/08 04:01 PM
Looks great! Its these small things that make life so much fun. Pretty extensive, how long would you say i took in all??

Happy Anniversary too.
Posted By: tiredofpain Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 09/14/08 06:47 PM
There was an episode on Mythbusters which dealt with this very question. They couldn't get a tattoo to "blow up" no matter what they tried or what styles of ink they used. That myth was BUSTED.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 09/15/08 12:57 PM
Jessxo from stencil to bandaging it afterward took maybe 2 hours only because the tattooist was very pregnent and we were both worried about my lower back so we got up to stretch often, which we both needed !
Posted By: molly_b Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/04/08 05:59 AM
I love Mythbusters. This is a great thread! I've got many tattoos and some specific piercings and have never had any trouble with either in MRIs (but piercings and x-rays are always funny). I'm planning on getting more tattoos one day, when I am no longer broke (but that may never happen, especially with all I spend on medical care! bah). For those of you on the biologics, do you really notice much of a difference in your day-to-day immune function? I will likely be starting Remicade or Enbrel in a couple months. Just curious.

~Molly
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/05/08 04:55 PM
hi molly,

i'm not on a biologic, but i've seen this question brought up and discussed within the last year. if you can't find it by searching (not sure myself what search words would get you a hit) and don't get many responses at the end of this older thread, i'd ask the question again in a new thread; in the past that question got lots of responses. from what i remember, the answers varied, some people said yes, some no; i know most people said if they felt a cold coming on, they'd skip an injection, etc and scheduled it after their cold. i also think people said they were a bit more careful with handwashing etc....

sue
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/06/08 01:14 PM
Molly neither enbrel or remicade bothers(ed) my immune system. The only time I had to postpone an infusion was because my husband was sick and he goes to the hospital with me. We put it off a week so he could go with me.
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/28/08 07:32 PM
I finally got it! It's a lotus flower. The lotus has many meanings in both hinduism and buddhism, but to me the meaning is simply - 'strenght through difficult times' and it means 'pure in spirit' a famous confucian scholar once said "I love the lotus because, while growing from mud, it is unstained" Now let me see if I can figure out how to post a pic...ugh

For larger version, click here: http://www.wearecrohns.org/stronger/photos/7937

Just in fixing the link - mig
Posted By: nordicskier Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/28/08 11:37 PM
Sweet!

It sounds crazy, but the pain factor has been keeping me from getting a tattoo (I know, I can hardly move some mornings I'm in so much pain and a little needle scares the poo out of me).

How was the pain? Did it go away fast? How long did it take? Is it your first one?

I'm intrigued

-Kim
Posted By: PjInIL Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/29/08 12:19 AM
I agree that if you are going to get a tat, I would talk to your doctor first. Chances are they would not recommend it. But if you insist on it, I'm sure that your doctor will have you go off of your immuno-suppressive drugs first for a few weeks to build your system back up - just like you have to do if you are sick. The possibility of having to take antibiotics beforehand would probably be a good idea, but not sure if the doctor would see fit to prescribe drugs just because you want to get a tat... know what I mean? Work on teeth is one thing, but just for sh*ts and grins they might frown upon - unless you've got a really cool doctor! hhahaha

I would also be very careful about placement. Some areas of the body heal faster than others and more more susceptible to infection. There are a lot of emerging studies about tats and the effects they can have on the interaction with anesthesia - for instance if you ever need an epidural (especially if they are located on the lower area of the back I.E. "tramp stamp".. sorry, no offense to anyone!!). Here is a good link that will explain more!

Tats and anesthesia info

Personally I got a tat many, many years ago before they were "in style" like they are now. I totally love the look of tats and mine looks like hell now because it's starting to "bleed". I really would like to get it touched up, but I don't think it's worth the risk. I've got enough problems without inviting another. I'm a risk taker in a lot of things, but not with my health. Whatever you decide, just be careful and do your homework first. ...Or, you can always hit the vending machine at the grocery store and find a cool temporary one to scratch that tat itch! j/k I think they have some Happy Bunny ones last time I looked! hahaha

Pam
Posted By: PattyD1 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/29/08 06:39 AM
I too have been afraid to get a Tat. My husband and two of my kids have them. (My kids are grown). They laugh at me. I just can't get past paying for pain. Do you think its worth it?
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/29/08 02:11 PM
It's soooo worth it! If you can deal with AS and the battery of tests that come along with a chronic condition, you can deal with the pain of a tat, give yourself some credit!
I just kept telling myself - If I can go through a spinal tap with no tears, this is nothing! - And I was right. Yes it hurt, but I've been through much much worse, I'd say that at times my pain from crohns has been worse than the pain from getting that tat, for sure!
Posted By: newsjunkie Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/29/08 02:13 PM
In answer to your questions it is my first tat , it only took about 15 minutes, and when it was over it felt like a sunburn, nothing more, within 2 days nothing! Its peeling now, but it was nothing, be brave, you can do it, especially if you deal with AS on a daily basis you know.
Posted By: jessxo Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/29/08 02:20 PM
Awesome! Very pretty and love the symbolism. Jess
Posted By: PattyD1 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 10/30/08 02:36 AM
Thanks I will
Posted By: Zernike Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 11/02/08 05:32 PM
There is some perversely gratifying about "volunteering" for pain and getting through it. I have a tattoo that took FOUR HOURS to accomplish. It is rather large and colorful -- a Scarab beetle with outspread wings (the symbol of triumph over adversity) located right between my SI.

Difficult to explain...this kind of pain makes you (me) stronger, knowing you can do that -- you can choose pain rather than have it choose you. I put myself in a kind of Zen meditation that worked, as long as no one tried to carry on a conversation. I told everyone to leave me alone and went into that space where it was just me and the needle. I was intensely "right there" every second. Maybe a little like giving birth, once it is done, the pain is nothing, just a bit of tenderness.
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/19/09 06:01 PM
Bringing back an old thread. Just in case anyone new is curious.

The tattoo I spoke of earlier in the thread is my avatar and I got it between enbrel and remicade. I recently got another one done while on weekly humira. I noticed a slight difference. It took a day longer to heal, and was a bit more swollen then other tattoos have been. But all in all it turned out great. I go to get it finished next week.

I do have to say, like I did before and like zernike says, it's a nice pain. Like accupuncture only a bit more painful. But in some weird way it helps deal with the other pain while it's happening. As long as I get up often to stretch, which my tattooist and I both agree is needed, I feel ok. Only a little stiff.

Now this time I a bit more concerned due to me possibly starting MTX today. If I get a reaction I think I'll skip my dose next week just in case. I don't want to postpone the finishing of the tattoo due to the fact it's driving me and the tattooist crazy that it's not done (she had a babysitter issue and had to leave an hour early.)

But aside from the MTX the biologics seem to have no effect on the tattoo for me personally.
Posted By: funchefchick Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/20/09 02:58 AM
Hey folks - I have 3 tattoos (all done before diagnosis or any immune suppressants) but I *can* tell you how to find a reputable tattoo parlor!

1. Your tattoo parlor should make you show ID that you are of legal age, even if you are obviously of legal age.
2. Your tattoo parlor should have a stated policy that they don't work on people who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or other mood-altering drugs.
3. Your tattoo parlor should be CLEAN in appearance, not shady or sketchy or funky. CLEAN and organized. They gotta keep the equipment clean and sanitary, so if the carpets are ugh or the floor isn't swept or the counters are not clean . . . walk, then RUN out the door.

AND NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

4. HOSPITAL AUTOCLAVE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclave Tattoo needles are exactly like surgical instruments. They *must* be appropriately sterilized between uses. Your tattoo parlor should a) have a hospital autoclave and b) allow you to see it, or have it on display in a public area.

5. Autoclave Spore count: The tattoo parlour should have available, for your review, their latest sport count report. Here is a good overview article: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2007/09/09/news/local/doc46e4b33beeaee358677160.txt

If the tattoo parlour meets all of the above criteria - without resistance or complaint - then go right ahead, you have chosen a quality tattoo parlor!

Me, I only patronize the finest in tattoo establishments.

Use your best judgement, of course, about your health and concern about infection. But if your tattoo place meets those criteria and you care for your tattoo as directed post-inking then I would be surprised if you have problems. (You keep it clean, apply neosporin or "Tattoo Goo" regularly on the inked area ... )

Besides, all the cool kids are doing it!
Posted By: Gardengirl13 Re: Tattoo and Remicade ??? - 05/21/09 02:43 PM
Becareful with neoproin, it can take the colors out. My tattooists have all (I've had...let's see...5 or 6 of them I think) said to use A&D, and then only if you get any problems with healing then go for the neosporin. But she told me recently because of my AS and medications and that since it's black work the neopsorin would be ok if needed. I didn't need it.

And I've never gone to shop where they have autoclaved needles. I've only gone to places that have single use needles and single use ink holders. Do they autoclave in some ares? Ours autoclaves all the other equipment. I do have to say the shop is clean around the work area, but it's kinda hippy and has stuff hanging around the walls. I wish they'd be more organized, but we've been going there for ten years. I don't mind the posters and dolls and such, it gives me something to look at while I get work done.

Another shop I went to had nothing around. Everything was super duper shiny and white and stainless steel. It seemed almost impersonal. It was nice and clean and they did great work, but just so cold seeming.
© Kickas.org