OMG!!!!

Posted by: Michelle70605

OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 07:10 PM

That's frustration up there not panic...so we're in the restaurant and all of a sudden,everyone in there is looking at the television and then I noticed that all of the waitstaff had stopped dead in their tracks and were standing there with that strange look that was everyone else's face and I thought, "Why is everyone staring at the TV?", in a split second, I figured out why....there bigger than lif, scrolling across the bottom of the television in BIG, BOLD, RED letters are the words MANDATORY EVACUATION! Just like that! I cannot put into vocal sequence how much I hate those words! The storm took a northerly path which is what they had originally forecast it to do, but they changed the forecast and they were adament that this storm was going to come ashore near the Texas/Mexico border. Now they're saying that about 60,000 people may have to ride out this storm because it's too late to evacuate them. They've really screwed up this time, I'm just glad that I didn't unpack when I got home from last week's evacuation.
Posted by: Sue22

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 07:23 PM

see you when you get back!

be safe,

sue
Posted by: wolverinefan

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 07:51 PM

Oh man Michelle, this hurricane season has just been a bear. Be safe, and our prayers are with you.

Brad

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:11 PM

We're not leaving until in the morning...they call people out in stages for evacuations now and our slot is 10 a.m. tomorrow morning. I'm so glad that I put a hold on my Doctor Fish.....can you imagine me trying to evacuate with a small herd of German Shepherds and 3,000 Garra Rufa fish?!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:15 PM

Thanks Brad, we've got to get my Mother out tonight because she's on oxygen with her latest Lupus flare, so she'll go out tonight with one of my sisters. We're at the house in Creole since Hurricane Gustav, that's where we came back to because of power outages in the city. When you look at the map, we're right below Lake Charles at the coast next to Cameron at the Texas/Louisiana border, 90 miles East of Galveston but this storm is 410 miles wide so we're still in the path.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMWgWOnObE&feature=related

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:27 PM

Wow Sue, I've never heard that one before, that's good belly-ribbin' music! Okay, on a more serious note, on the map showing in the background when the music starts playing, I'm sitting under the ber in Hackberry.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:38 PM

Lucinda Williams is one of my favorites.

Last time you mentioned Lake Charles, i thought of the song, but i was trying to refrain from posting too many youtubes, but mig got me on a roll tonight in another thread, so i figured i'd get it all out of my system in one evening

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 08:56 PM

This storm is really pushing some water up in the rivers and bayous over here, they posted a flood warning about 15 minutes ago so I took the dogs out to the back of the property so I could take a look at the bayou and the boat docks are already covered in water. I would go to the city but there's still power outages from Gustav and even if the lights were on, the storm could shift to the East before making landfall and I still don't trust the levees.
Posted by: DoreenBar

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 09:03 PM

Oh Michelle I really feel for you and all of those that have to leave. I am outside of the Houston area. I am too far away from the coast to be affected, the most we would get is some rain.
I had a Ministry call to pray for me today. I am sending prayers your way.
Do be careful.
God bless
Doreen

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 09:05 PM

Thank you so much Doreen, I'm sitting here watching them talk about it on the news, I'm glad that you're not caught up in it. BTW...it's very nice to see you, I missed you.
Posted by: molly_b

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/10/08 09:35 PM

Oh No! I'm so sorry!! Take care of yourself and yours. I'll be thinking good thoughts for ya!

~Moll
Posted by: tiredofpain

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 02:08 AM

I can't imagine what it must be like to be evacuated on short notice like that. It must be terrifying.

I'm hoping that all goes well and your family and you get away to a safe place. Let's hope everyone fares well and you and your neighbours "weather the storm" safely.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 02:57 AM

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts Molly and Tired, I appreciate that very much.
Posted by: mig

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 03:00 AM

Yikes Michelle... keep yourself safe please!!

I knew it too... the picture they showed on our news looked like it was heading straight for you, while the silly announcer was saying it wasn't. I yelled at my tv a few times even, but they weren't listening to me. Gosh I am so sorry you have to go through this scariness again. Yes, good thing you held off on the fish.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 03:02 AM

Ohhh sure Sue, blaming me now eh!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 03:09 AM

Yep Mig...I can conjure up a mental picture of you yelling at the TV! They still aren't saying that it's coming here, as a matter of fact, I just woke up and before I signed on KA, I tried to see what's happened while I was sleeping and they haven't updated all night....I think they're waiting until they know for sure....maybe they realised they were just sticking their feet in deeper everytime they said something stupid!

BTW....Sue said it was all your fault!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 06:42 AM

The 6:00 am briefing just ended and they informed us that the Hurricane Hunters detected 2 independent eyes in this hurricane, I've never heard of that before but evidently it's rare and dangerous, we've been told to expect at least a 16 ft. storm surge and could be 28 ft. and that this Hurricane might be worse than Katrina. I also saw the they have ordered evacuations for Houston, Doreen Bar is in that area, also any other members around Houston...heads up, this storm is twice as wide as the entire state of Louisiana and it looks like it may be more than half the size of Texas, well it's right at 400 miles wide and the weather is suppose to start taking a dive starting tomorrow, intensifying Fiday night/Saturday morning, just 12 hours later, so we don't have a head start on this one. If it holds the track to veer more to the left (Galveston/Houston), we'll catch the bad side of the storm but if it goes a little further south, I think we'd be okay to stay here and ride it out...it would only be a Cat 1, maybe even a Tropical storm, the only thing about that scenario that makes me think twice is that if the storm makes a sudden right turn(just like Rita did) it would be too late to leave.
Posted by: 30yrvet

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 07:26 AM

Wow Michelle,

Not again. God Speed again along your evacuation! Keep all those little'ns safe.

Dean
Posted by: SCSUE

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 07:37 AM

Michelle, I hope all is going well. I haven't seen the news to see if things have changed with the evac for you or not. I hope things go smooth and everyone stays safe. Write us back as soon as you get settled so we know you are ok...Sue!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 08:50 AM

Thanks Dean...we've been talking to everyone on our block, family & friends and we've decided to ride it out together...it's only forecast to be a tropical storm at this time and as long as it doesn't shift anymore, we'll be fine. If we evacuate this close to the storm making landfall, we run a very high risk of getting gridlocked in traffic and then we'd be forced to ride the hurricane out right there in our cars and that wouldn't be good...it takes about 15 hours to go 120 miles during a heavy evacuation, if everything goes well and stormy weather is forecast to start up in the morning and continue to go down hill from there.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 08:54 AM

Thanks Sue...it's still up in the air, I think they're afraid to advise us one way or the other and I don't really blame them because so many people threw a fit about having to spend money evacuating for Gustav last week and although we lost power and had moderate damage, had we stayed, we would have been fine for the most part but if they don't tell us to leave and it hits here, they would get the blame so, they're darned if they do and they're darned if they don't.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 10:12 AM

Whew are you going to go? I just saw on the news they are talking about texas. This thing is so big though...are you near the water or under sea level? They say the waves could be massive. We are on the myrtle beach sc shoreline and we all were more afraid of Ike then Hanna...the locals just looked at Hanna as another way of getting more rainfall as we were close to drought conditions. But Ike - I pray for everyones safety no matter where it lands...Sue!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 10:18 AM

Nope, we're going to hunker down and ride it out here. You're right, it's enormous and they're trying to evacuate 10 million people, literally...there's no way! We're right there between Cameron and Lake Charles....almost to the Texas/Louisiana border. I'm just sitting here eating Mint Chocolate Blue Belle Ice Cream and I'm going swimming this afternoon...we're stocked up on supplies pretty well.
Posted by: Inanna

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 10:41 AM

Michelle, wherever you are right now, I pray you see this and know we're all thinking of you. All of you living in hurricane zones. It's terrifying for everyone, I know.

Warm hugs and stay safe!!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/11/08 09:16 PM

Thanks Kat...I'll be thinking about yall too! I think we made a good call here, if the forecast holds, we will experience Category 1 hurricane conditions for about 18-22 hours, it's expected to start in the morning(Friday) around 9:00 and should be over sometime in the early morning hours on Saturday. Of course tornadoes are a hazard and flooding, they're calling for a storm tide/surge(similar to a tidal wave) about 2 ft. above what we had in '05, about 18ft. at the coast, so I calculate about 6 ft. or so here is possible and the pad under the house is built up about 5 ft. but of course you have to add in the possible 20 inches of rain but all-in-all, I'm confident that we're okay here too. We have plenty of food and supplies, we have a generator(they told us we will definitely have power outages and that we can expect to be without power for at least a week) and if the boat doesn't float away, we can use it to get out of here if we need to after the storm, I just pray that I'm not going into a flare, I've been really tired and the pain is climbing the ladder.
Posted by: sarahmd

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 06:45 AM

hey Michelle....

how are things going? I'm sorry I missed this yesterday, but i wasn't able to get on, super duper busy here at work.

please let me/us know how you're doing!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 07:00 AM

Hi Sarah...so far so good, I'm drinking a cup of coffee and fixing to attack the doughnuts! I have a huge bag full of chocolate, too! The clouds are really over exaggerated, the winds are light but the sky is dark, you can tell something's coming, it's kind of eerie...I've got a disposable camera handy and I'm going to take pictures and I'm going to post them.......yes, I will.... really! `

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 07:04 AM

doughnuts....i want some! what kind do you have, i might have to come steal one or two.
i can't wait to see pics, i love storm and storm pics.
keep us posted!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 07:11 AM

Come on down...I have those little white powdered sugar ones, my honey went and got them for me. Curfew starts at 10a.m. so we're going to go out for a ride and see what's going on. I know Cameron already has 6 ft. of water across the board and the storm surge has now been forecast for 18-22 ft. Check out this map....I'm located at 30.2N & 93.4W....

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200809_alerts.html#a_topad

I have a sister in Houston, she's a nurse so she can't leave and my niece and her husband live there with their 2 little boys. Oh, I forgot the point...oh yeah..my sister works at Woodland Hermann Memorial Hosp. and she's emailing me the live feed to the hospitals webcam that shows I-45 and Sarah, you can see what's happening in New Orleans through the webcams...I posted the link last year somewhere in the Asylum.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 08:59 AM

That's a cool map. Dont' like that hurricane sitting on it, but a cool map none-the-less.
How'd your drive go?

Hopefully you guys aren't buried under too much water.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 09:31 AM

I didn't go anywhere Sarah...we're staying...I listed all of my valid reasons for making this decision up above somewhere. We've been here since Gustav because there are still power outages in New Orleans. I'm going to report to yall from here until the power goes out...the winds are about 40 mph right now, the hurricane is going to make landfall here tonight, they're estimating between 10 o'clock and midnight.
Posted by: 30yrvet

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 11:05 AM

Michelle???

I knew you were tough. God stay with you, but KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!!

Dean

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 11:20 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dean and I promise to keep my head down!
Posted by: Angelmom

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 12:27 PM

Michelle,

You, your family and anyone involved in the paths of these things have been in my thoughts and prayers every day.

My heart is resting a bit better knowing that Bill is on his way home from Houston and should be home at about 6.

I hope and pray that it will dissapate (sp?) as it moves inland, it's like hasn't the area suffered enough???

Just know we are all keeping in our thoughts and prayers and God will have you wrapped in his arms.

Please keep us updated.

Many hugs,

Lisa

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 12:44 PM

Lisa, thank you for keeping us in your prayers....keep them up...we need them, we are already seeing some minor flooding and it hasn't even started raining yet...ya would know that I'd decide to ride it out the only time the weather people weren't crying wolf! I'm glad that Bill is out of Houston.....Kristen and Erica(Not my Erica, Kristen's best-friend Erica) were turned around and sent back but they're 10 minutes further inland at Erica Nelson's house, I'm thinking that the flooding won't be as bad there.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 01:08 PM

hey Michelle...I knew you were riding it out there, but I thought you were going to go for a drive to see what was happening before the 10am curfew. Oh heck, I guess I got confused with something else. I'm so brain dead. I've decided I want to go clean Shamu poop for a living.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/12/08 01:31 PM

No Sarah...you're not confused...I am! We went for a drive, the water was already over the boat launch at Shell Beach....and some roads that run alongside the beach are covered and the entire beach is under water ..you can't see the sand at all. The rains started about 10 minutes ago and I think we'll lose power in the next couple of hours (it took 6 weeks to get power bach here after Rita). We saw a lot of National Guardsmen all around and we saw a whole fleet of Chinook helicopters fly over to the staging area. My sister just called to tell me that my Mother's Shi-Tzu, Tofu was killed in an accident during the evacuation, she said Mom is just totally beside herself....he's been her constant companion for the last 14 years.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/13/08 03:36 PM

Hi Michelle - I didn't know if you had been able to get in contact with any of us here yet and wanted to see if all was well. Sue!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/14/08 07:43 PM

Hi Sue, I haven't heard from Michelle either and don't think she's been on since the storm hit.

From what I gather, she was awfully close to the coast (less than 5-10 miles?) and only 90 miles east of Galveston, so considering the eye of the storm was 50 miles wide.. she figured she'd be just north east of the eye, which is the most treacherous area apparently.

Oh dear, I just found this report (from the associated press):
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) Hurricane Ike spared Louisiana a direct hit, but its winds and waters killed two people as coastal areas were inundated with a storm surge that crawled some 30 miles inland, flooding tens of thousands of homes and making many roads impassable.

I also found a report that says Cameron has been declared one of the federal disaster areas! She said she was right BETWEEN Cameron and Lake Charles!!

And another report from Hackberry, an area just to the other side of Lake Charles and farther inland from Michelle's location was severely flooded so I can only imagine her area was as bad or worse. She's experienced with these and one tough cookie but still... I'm really afraid for her and just praying she's ok.

MICHELLE we hope to hear from you soon!
mig

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/14/08 08:31 PM

what mig said!

thanks for the update mig.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/14/08 08:46 PM

Oh dear, Mig - I hope hope hope they evacuated. I thought they were told not to. My husband and I live right off the ocean in Myrtle Beach SC and we were worried about Ike ourselves as we were preparing for Hanna. I can't take in the size of the storm. They were showing it on the weather channel and it took up almost all of Texas. I was surprised when little baby hanna hit 30 miles from us just how much rain and wind we got and she was just a bitty baby compared to Ike.

I know Michelle was concerned for her pets. I am really concerned now because if she was away at someones house I think she would have updated us on the forum. I will have Michelle and her family and the region in my prayers tonight...Sue!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 06:08 AM

Michelle...

I hope you're doing ok! Please please, check in with us as soon as you can. I'm/we're worried about you!

We hope to hear from you soon.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 06:11 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your mothers dog. I can imagine how horrible that must be for her. I can't imagine losing one of my dogs, let alone losing them like that. That would kill me. I'm super attached to my rotten pups, as I'm sure your mom was attached to Tofu. I hope she's doing better today.

I also hope you guys fared ok. I'm guessing you're without power right now since we haven't heard from you in a while. I popped in over the weekend to see if you were checking in, but I didn't see anything from you.

Hope things are ok, well as ok as they can be down there.

Sarah

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 06:49 AM

Hi yall....we are back on dry ground...we got an 11 foot storm surge sometime in the wee morning hours, luckily, I had left the access door to the attic open, as we needed it and of course we keep and axe up there so Mike hacked a hole in the roof and we got out that way, from there we could see many others in our community up on their roofs as well. The water level went down to about 6 feet or so the next day and we left by boat about 6pm last night, needless to say, the house is a total loss.
Posted by: Gerri

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 06:56 AM

Glad to hear you and family are safe.

Hugs

Gerri

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 07:04 AM

Just wanted to clarify, we weren't, I repeat we were not under an evacuation order and this may come as a complete surprise to many of you but the residents of Houston were told to stay in their homes, hunker down and ride out the storm there because the last time they tried to evacuate Houston, there was a total gridlock on the freeways and over 3 million people sat in their cars on the roads for 3 days....yep 3 days and every single one of them would have drowned in their cars if the hurricane they were trying to flee from had indeed hit them, so for those of you that are wondering why people don't evacuate, please educate yourselves before being judgemental, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. If you are not under a mandatory evacuation there's no sense in getting on the freeway and getting in the way of those that are ordered to evacuate. Also, all medical personnel, fireman and law enforcement are ordered to stay, as well as all oil refinery personnel (you know, the people that supply you with gasoline) there are also people that stay behind with loved ones that aren't able to evacuate, add to that the elderly, the ill, the homeless and the mentally ill, public works personnel and journalists. Some people stay because they know that they will run out of gas if they are stuck on the road in traffic for more than 24 hours trying to evacuate, what are they to do then, it's not like the gas stations are open. This is the equivolant of evacuating ALL of New England at one time, millions of people not just a handful. From a political standpoint, any idea how many U.S. tax-payer dollars it would take to feed, clothe and house 4 or 5 million people? There are lots of reasons why people don't/can't leave just please keep this in mind...the people of the Gulf Coast region have been through enough and many of us have lost everything we own and really don't want to have someone who doesn't have all the facts tell us that we're stupid for staying, when we see people being rescued in from flood waters in other parts of the U.S., we don't think that they're stupid for staying even though they stayed after 20 inches of rain was forecast for their area and they knew about it, we're empathetic and sypathetic of their loss, it's hard losing your home and everything in it...your memories, your children's pictures....I personally have been struck by 2 hurricanes in 10 days and I stayed, if you don't understand any of the reasons stated above, hang on to your pants because you might understand this one....I went into a flare a couple of days before Ike hit, probably due to the stress of hurricane Gustav and I wasn't up to it packing up my truck, driving to God knows where and then sitting in my truck for God knows how long because there are no hotel rooms available...I know people that had to go all the way to Oklahoma to get a hotel room....besides, you can't get away from the fury of a storm this size, people were killed up in Maryland by Ike....Gotta run now, 2 of my dogs have been called in, they are FEMA Search & Recovery Registered, I'm sure somebody will be very happy that we're still here.....

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 07:08 AM

Thanks Gerri....

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 08:18 AM

Hey Michelle...

I'm SO glad to hear you're ok and I'm so sorry your house is a total loss. That sucks so bad. I know exactly what you mean about the evacuations. People who don't deal with this, don't quite understand everything involved in it. Your explanation was right on.

Are you going to have to tear your house down and rebuild?

Keep us posted! Again, I'm really glad to hear you're doing good.

Sarah

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 08:26 AM

HI Sarah...thank you so much, I don't know what we're going to do about the house yet...we'll go back to New Orleans tomorrow, more than likely, I'm at the OEP....Office of Emergency Preparedness right now, waiting to go out with the dogs, there's an area they want the dogs to go through.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 08:56 AM

Do you go with the dogs or do they hand them over to someone else to take them out? That's really cool you have rescue dogs.
Your other home wasn't hit was it? Geez, I hope it wasn't. Good Luck!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 09:08 AM

It really depends on the situation, sometimes agencies call and ask me if they can "borrow" the dogs and as long as they have a certified handler I'm fine with that but they also call and ask me to go with the dogs because they think I'll get better results...today they're trying to find people's loved ones that were disturbed from their eternal resting place.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 09:38 AM

Hi Sue...I just got access awhile ago, I'm at the OEP office and they have a command center here, they're "borrowing" 2 of my dogs but heading back to New Orleans ASAP and should have internet there.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 09:49 AM

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) Hurricane Ike spared Louisiana a direct hit, but its winds and waters killed two people as coastal areas were inundated with a storm surge that crawled some 30 miles inland, flooding tens of thousands of homes and making many roads impassable.

Wow Mig....you're amazing, I can't believe you were able to map it out so well, you knew exactly where we were! Everything you read was right on the money, our area was hit with an 11 foot storm surge a few hours before day-break and the power was already out by then so, we climbed up out of the attic....I was up & down during the hurricane....you want to be in the attic in case the water rises but you don't want to be up there when the roof blows off! I got hit in the forehead with the edge of a door that blew open and Mike has a black eye from a flying piece of wood and I'm sore all over.... we've never been hit with more that 5 or 6 feet of storm surge right there at the house....storm surge is just like a tidal wave and this one traveled 15 miles inland past our house for a 30 mile ride....the tsunami tidal wave only went inland a couple of miles and it was taller. I'm so sorry that you were worried....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 09:54 AM

Thanks Sue...BTW...I finished that bucket if mint chocolate chip the other night!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 10:08 AM

Oh God Michelle - I am so THANKFUL to see you online!!!!!

Gosh I am so sorry about your house and so grateful that you, Mike and your dogs all made it through.

Please try not to over do it, I know you're in a bad flare. It must be an amazing feeling to know that your dogs are able to help out in such an effort. You should be very proud. Hopefully you'll get to your other home and be able to rest soon.

Oh and guess what? I had 2 bowls of mint chocolate chip Kawartha Dairy Farms ice cream on weekend in your honour...! yum

I'm just overjoyed to see you here my friend!!

mig

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 10:37 AM

Hi Mig!!! I'm so glad to see you too!! I was thinking about yall the whole time....I have so much to tell you! I can't wait to get to the city....ohhhhh, I'm so tired! The house is completely wiped out, nothing in it can be salvaged and our trucks are wiped out too! And...I have a dent in my forehead.....I missed all of you......I'm so glad to talk to you!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 11:09 AM

Oh thank goodness Michelle - God's speed and look forward to your getting back with us when you can. Thanks for letting us know you are ok...Sue!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 11:09 AM

Oh Michelle, I can't believe your terrible misfortune to lose your new place and wonder how on earth are you going to get to the city when your trucks have been wiped out???

Do you have any idea of how long your dogs will have to work? I suppose they get exhausted and rotate shifts? Are you able to nap anywhere there at the emergency preparedness station?

It must be quite a traumatic experience, I can't even imagine climbing up and out through your attic and chopping a hole in your roof to escape. Cripes Michelle! So did you leave by your own boat or was it damaged too? Hope you and Mike will be feeling better very soon and hope your forehead was not too badly injured.

We missed you too!! Up north, I didn't have news... as soon as I got home I combed the net, once I found you hadn't been on. And then I was really worried. I'm just so relieved to know you made it through and are still kickin'. Do you have any news of your home in the city? I'm praying it escaped any damage and that your daughter's are both safe... gosh, they must have been extremely worried, waiting to hear from you.

Err ok, please know that I don't expect you to be answering my millions of questions of course... please rest as much as you can, you can catch us all up when you're home and feeling better!!

more hugs!!
mig

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 11:23 AM

My forehead is fine...it was so strange...it really left a dent, it didn't bleed at all, the dent has since been replaced by a bruise but I'm fine. The girls are fine and we can get back to the house in N.O., no problem.....we can catch a ride with FEMA, they'll even let the dogs ride! The type of work the dogs are doing dictates how long they work...there are a million scents everywhere right now, so they'll burn out quickly, given that they'll scent for 30 minutes and then break for an hour and so on. They're working in a field looking for caskets that were unearthed and drifted off. The house in N.O. is fine...just some debris in the yard according to the report that we got. Mike's eye is pretty black and blue but it'll heal...of course he told everyone that I was the cause of it! I never expected the storm surge to come that far inland, that's very rare but I'm glad I was here...I felt the need to face this monster, I wanted to bear witness to the death of my home, I wanted to look into the eye of the demon that took from me everything and left my life lying in ruin...this nightmare didn't begin a few days ago for me, it began a few years ago, this is just another chapter.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 11:24 AM

I'm guessing the dogs went without you? I don't think I could let my pups go without me. But then again, I also don't think I could look at what they would find, so......

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 11:28 AM

I'm just too tired and I know the handler already and so do the dogs and she doesn't take risks, so I'm okay with it...besides, that's what they're trained to do and maybe they can save those families some heartache, I can remember how upset Mrs. Miller, our neighbor, was when her Mother was unearthed during Katrina, it took them over a month to get in there so they could start looking and another 2 months until they found her and then a couple of months longer for confirmation that it was her Mother and then there was a memorial service when she was replaced and Mrs. Miller didn't rest right until that was done...there were several hundred unearthed in both Katrina and Rita and it was so hard on those families, as you can imagine.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 11:32 AM

Well it's good you know the handler. I bet that makes things easier on you and the dogs.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 12:02 PM

It does Sarah...I'm not sure if the dogs remember her, it's been awhile but they were fine with it, Abigail stopped and looked back at me and whined, as if to say "Are ya coming Mom?" But I told her to go on and she did.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 12:39 PM

all i can say is wow. whenever i see people on their roofs waiting to be evacuated in a flood, i am always overwhelmed by emotion, and to hear you describe it so calmly and matter-of-factly. brave is the only word that comes to mind. i really have a lot of respect for everyone that has to deal with this. and to loose businesses, homes, etc, i really can't imagine how i would respond to all of that, but i suspect it wouldn't be very well. however, in the end, the most important thing is lives, and to know you and your family are safe....

and thank you for that explanation about all that is involved in evacuating / not evacuating....not so cut and dry......

missed you on concept association, that's how i knew something was up.
no idea, you were going through so much.
and to see you posting so soon, now that's dedication to us

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 01:26 PM

Oh, absolutely family is the most important thing! But, if the Devil said "Let's make a deal, I won't take your family from you but I am going to take your house and everything in it but you can have back your children's baby pictures for a small price, you get the pictures back and Mike get's a broken leg.", I'm afraid I'd have to say "DEAL!"

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 01:43 PM

oh michelle, i know, or at least i think i know.
as i said, i know i wouldn't deal well.
i can't even begin to imagine losing everything.
i'm always amazed at the strength of others.
words really can not express how sorry i am for your loss.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 01:58 PM

Oh Sue...that was a joke, I hope you didn't think that you offended me! I appreciate it, really I do...you know, losing our home in Katrina was much more painful than this, we lost all of our precious memories then, this is hard to explain this but I'll try, I'm not as emotionally vested anymore....I lost the material things I cherished the most in '05 and I have been very careful to keep it simple with the mind-set that if I lose my home again, it won't matter that much to me, I've been reluctant to decorate or personalize our home so that I wouldn't feel it so much if it happened again and I guess you get kind of used to losing your things after awhile...this is the third house we've lost to a hurricane in the last 3 years....I mean, what can you do? You can't just sit around and cry...you deal with it the best you can, you've got to be there for your family and try to move forward...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 02:01 PM

Hey yall, our ride is coming soon so I'll chat with yall later, I really appreciate all of the concern, prayers and well wishes....yall are a great bunch!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 02:41 PM

hi again michelle,

i didn't think i offended you, but wanted to make sure.
glad i didn't.

also, i wasn't here over the last few years, wasn't here when you lost everything to katrina, so i'm glad to hear some of the background. i'll go back and look at your posts from around that time to.

but i can understand why you are taking the loss so well this time.
and joking about having to eat up all the ice cream

this can in no way be compared to loosing everything, but i had a similar change of mind when i was robbed. they mostly stole jewelry and other small stuff. i didn't care about the monetary value of what was stolen, it was the sentimental value of what was stolen; i grew up poor and every piece of jewelry was a special gift, some from people no longer in my life. but i got over it and from then on, i just don't care about material things the way i used to. compared to losing everything, its small. but it did make me look at things differently, made me grow up a little that day.

and the thing i remember being really really thankful for. i was planning on going home early from the time i went to work / school in the morning. i was really tired and not feeling great. but didn't get home til 4 pm. if i had gone home, i would have been upstairs in bed, with the door locked, and not owning a car at the time, and both roommates at work, there would have been no car in the driveway, so it would have really looked like no one was home. thought a lot after that day of how someone was watching over me, preventing me from going home early.

sue
Posted by: JanetK

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 05:50 PM

I am glad to hear of your family's safety too.

After Katrina, a woman & her husband, and her mother were "relocated" next to me in West Virginia. The mother ended up going home after about 9 months or so as her home was "salvagable".

Kathy & her husband unfortunately lost everything & she told told she would never go back, in spite of being born & raised there.

She said being a middle aged couple trying to start over with absolutely nothing in a state they weren't familiar with wasn't something she ever expected to have to deal with. They had also left their teenage son behind with friends so he could finish out his senior year with some kind of "normalcy".

I remember how trivial my problems seemed after talking with her because most of us have never dealt with anything of the magnitude that all of you did after these hurricanes.

But time does have a way of healing & she & her husband did go back - just over a year or so ago. They were going to a location about 50 miles north, more off the coast this time.

I have thought of them so often these past weeks, hoping & praying for their safety too.
Posted by: BLESTER

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 08:32 PM

Michelle,

Wow two biggies in a manner of weeks is surely no fun. I hop you are doing ok and did not have a lot of damage. I've not read al the post so have not seen the answers but did want to say you and the family are in my thoughts and prayers. I talked to the my oldest in San Antonio Saturady and last night which I was surprised they did not get any wind or rain out of this last system. As much as I love the coast if I lived there full time I would be having doubts about continuing to stay there. Having lived in several states I knnow it is hard to move from one's home but had I not moved from California only months before the big earthquake there in 88 I probably would not be around today since the area I lived was the epic center.

Hope things recover for you quickly,
Brent

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 10:18 PM

Well, we got back to the city and things were pretty good for the most part....a little water in the house, the girls didn't want to tell me until I got home, they didn't want to upset me further....I appreciate that too...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 10:24 PM

Oh Sue, I'm glad you weren't home when your house was robbed, I think it's neat that you understand how that incident changed your life, a lot of people don't take the time to reflect on things.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 10:27 PM

Hi Janet and thank you for thinking of us...I'm glad that your neighbor Kathy and her husband found a nice community to relocate to after Katrina hit and I'm glad she had you to talk to about her fears and concerns, many evacuees weren't so fortunate.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 10:30 PM

Hi Brent...yep, it's been a wild hurricane season, it feels just like the 2005 season, I took a nap and now I'm so stiff and I feel like I've been hit by a bus, my muscles ache. Thanks so much for thinking about us Brent...
Posted by: ladybuggie

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/15/08 11:37 PM

Hola Michelle..
I am also relieved to hear that you and your loved ones got out okay!
I am so sorry to hear about your home. I pray for the best...your pal bug

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/15/08 11:59 PM

Hey Girl,

Bill and I have been keeping close tabs on all the news, we are hoping things will calm down now.

I can't even imagine what you and your family have gone thru, as long as your family is ok you can make it thru anything although I know it has to be hard.

One of my best friends lost everything in a house fire about 5 years ago, she still suffers from it, it was all the pictures and momentos. All the pictures of her kids and us together that I had I copied them and gave them to her but you can never replace it.

I can't believe that Ike reached all the way to Oklahoma on friday night, it was raining in sheets here for several hours.

Hopefully you can settle down a bit now. Still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Lisa

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/16/08 03:16 AM

Oh Michelle, I'm relieved to read that you've all made it back to your home in the city. I am sorry there's water in your house there too, you have a couple of very considerate daughters there, I think. Gosh, it just seems so overwhelming the nightmare of days you've just lived through.

If it's given you some power then I'm glad you got to face the demon and bear witness to the death of your home. I've been trying to imagine it, and as much as I've never been through anything even remotely similar, I think I have a tiny sense of understanding from your words and think you are awesome Michelle. I suppose it's a little bit like healthy people who can't know what it's like to live with AS, but really try to. I am just so grateful that you're okay!

Please rest rest rest and rest some more if you can... and give your star doggies a good scritch behind the ears from me for being man's best friends!! Your words about Abigail really got to me.

warmest hugs
mig

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/16/08 07:27 AM

Thanks again Ang.....last night was the first real sleep that I've had in 4 or 5 days and I slept so hard that when I woke up this morning, I thought it had all been a bad nightmare but then it hit me....I'm still in it.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 07:29 AM

Hi Lisa...it's bad down here...because the power was off for so long all the food went bad, even in the stores, not that I have much of an appetite, I feel for those with small children in this mess. The smell is horrendous because of all the dead fish that are everywhere.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/16/08 07:53 AM

Hi Mig.....I would say that I can't believe that both houses...but it's not the first time. The girls are very considerate and they were so worried about me but today I'm worried about them, both of them are being too quiet and they want to be right next to me at all times...I fear that an all too familiar reality has set in with them. I totally understand though, we were just in the past 6 months or so feeling a hint of normalcy, I was even getting nostalgic but our world wasn't back to where it was, we had begun to make new memories and take stock in this new post-disaster world of ours and now it too is gone. If I could leave right now, I would, I'd take my family far away but that's not how it works...I am legally responsible for my property and until all of that is cleaned up, I'm stuck here..I am glad however that I faced my fear, I do feel better in that regard...I've been around hurricanes all my life and they didn't bother me until Katrina & Rita took their toll and ever since, I've had a hurricane phobia....the hurricane season is 6 months long and everyday during that time, I'm worried to death and although I didn't purposely run into Ike, It happened and I survived it and now everything is back into perspective in my mind. The sound of helicopters and sirens isn't setting well with me today and they're everywhere, as you can imagine....I just want to stick my head in the sand about now...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 10:31 AM

I'm glad your other house faired ok in this mess.

Hopefully they dogs faired well with their adventure? Did you get them back?

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 10:48 AM

Yeah, I stayed at the OEP staging area until they were finished with them and the we hitched a ride over here with FEMA.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 11:09 AM

If the dogs find people who have died, do they tend to be sad or anything? I know that might seem like an odd question, but I've always wondered about that with rescue dogs. I know dogs are smart and rescue dogs have to be pretty dang smart, so do they understand what's exactly going on?
Did that make any sense?

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 02:02 PM

I haven't witnessed any sadness or depression in a cadaver dog after they locate human remains, they're trained to detect body tissue and/or fluids of the deceased and necrosis is present and they don't affiliate the scent of the dead with the living, in other words they recognize the living by their scent which is a totally different scent of course but they are not able to rationalize that a human being smells one way when alive and another way when deceased, to them the deceased are not connected to the living in their mind. Now if they were to come into contact with a deceased person that they had been close to while the person was alive, they may react differently. The dogs are praised and rewarded when they do a good job, so for them it is a positive experience. I don't think that's an odd question though, Sarah, I've actually been asked that several times.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 03:59 PM

Has anyone heard from Doreen Bar or has anyone seen her posting lately? She lives right at the edge of Houston in Katy....they may not have internet service yet, the only reason I had access to it because I was at the OEP & it was still up & running here on the Westbank.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 04:23 PM

I just saw the most heartwarming act of kindness unfold...there's an elderly couple that live two houses down...the husband has been gravely ill for the last year and there home was flooded by Ike, they don't have much family and no children, I've checked in on them once since I've been back and I could see the worry in their eyes, wondering I'm sure, what they were going to do....I just saw 3 men deliver a beautiful camper to them from an annonymous donor!
Posted by: LINCinNYC

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 07:49 PM

Wow, a camper just when they needed it! I have been reading your posts for the last half hour...wow...what an experience you had, I am so glad you all are safe, and that your dogs helped (if I have that correct)...you rock, don't forget it....I've been inspired by your posts and determination to get through this!!
Peace
Linc

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 08:36 PM

Quote:

I just saw the most heartwarming act of kindness unfold...there's an elderly couple that live two houses down...the husband has been gravely ill for the last year and there home was flooded by Ike, they don't have much family and no children, I've checked in on them once since I've been back and I could see the worry in their eyes, wondering I'm sure, what they were going to do....I just saw 3 men deliver a beautiful camper to them from an annonymous donor!

yes, the human spirit can be absolutely amazing at times,
thanks for sharing this story,

sue
Posted by: pianoplayer

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 09:54 PM

Wow... I just read your whole post as well. You've been through a lot. I'm glad that you and your family as well as your dogs are okay. My thoughts and prayers are will you all as it sounds like you still have a lot ahead of you.

God bless,
Kim
Posted by: ladybuggie

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/16/08 10:15 PM

Hi Michelle..
I was just telling Brent yeterday that I knew we had a member from Katy but couldnt remember their username. I certainly hope and pray she is safe. My cousin text me today....they are in Humble. One of their nearby neighbors had power back up while my Aunt was at a friends house last I heard. I hope they had power back up and food. This is just so terrible. That was so heartwarming to hear of someone helping the elderly couple.

how are you holding up? we have cool days now..but i am flaring like nobody's business. i count my blessings that i have food, water and shelter. they have donations set up at the local malls right now as well and at sofies school. i pray things get better...
buggy

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 03:37 AM

Hi Michelle,

I'm glad you're together with your girls and that you're all sticking close by each other, quiet or no, that's got to be the best comfort of any, with the sounds of helicopters and sirens still in the air.

If you ever do consider it, yall could come live up here in Canada! The only hurricanes earthquakes or tornadoes we have are just mere blips in comparison... tho shovelling snow is a national past time and it does get a bit cold. I'm sure we could use an authentic southern cafe and I'll bet my boots there isn't a garra rufa spa for miles and miles.. yet! And hey, you'd already have ready-made friends in TO..!!

But I am sure your sense of normalcy will come find you again and that you'd dearly miss the close-knit community ties that must be like no other. What a tremendous gift your neighbours anonymously received, it's heart-warming to hear of such thoughtfulness and generosity.

I'm hoping too that Doreen made it through the storm and didn't suffer any damage... and that we'll hear from her soon!

I'm wishing you every strength in the days ahead, deep sleeps, fresh food and sending bunches of hugs,..
mig
Posted by: Kelsey

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 06:04 AM

Gee Michelle you have been through so much, I just wanted to send my best wishes to you from Australia.
My partner, who has been living here now for 7 years comes from Louisiana, so we always have people here worried how his family are, but they are northern so not affected anywhere near like your experience/s
Take care, and hang in there,
Leanne

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:25 AM

Hey Linc...wasn't that just so awesome?! It's a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen, full bath and it is stocked to the gills with food and everything else they may need! I think it's someone that knows them pretty well or maybe someone they know told their story and it was picked up from there, however it came their way, it's just so wonderful! And after a hurricane the electric system is cooky for a long time, the power goes on and off all the time, well, their camper automatically swithches over to propane when the power goes out so they won't lose food or be vulnerable to the heat. You had it right about the dogs, they pulled their weight, I'm so proud of my girls! Thanks Linc...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:33 AM

I didn't think about it that way. That definitely makes sense. I always worried about dogs and them doing that because I wasn't sure of the toll it may or may not take on them.

And that elderly couple down the street from you, WOW! That is so freaking awesome. Just goes to show there are still good people in this world.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:33 AM

Hi Sue...yes the human spirit can be amazing! I know after Hurricane Katrina a lot of business owners gave almost everything they had to help those that were in need, reports from Senator Boasso's office stated that a large portion of the city's major business owners put all of their energy into helping their communities to the point of personal bankruptcy and they also reported that if they didn't get back to focusing on their businesses, they too would certainly face bankruptcy. This report was emailed to me over a year after Katrina hit N.O., I was amazed that they put everything on hold for over a year and gave those in need everything they had worked so hard for. Unfortunately, the newspapers don't report that kind of stuff.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:38 AM

Thanks Kim, I appreciate your prayers and you're so right it's a long road ahead of us, I'm not sure how long but I was calculating 10 years to recover after the '05 hurricanes hit Louisiana, that's based on the progress we'd made to this point.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:48 AM

Hi Angie...I'm okay, it's cooler here to, it's a Godsend for those that don't have power. I started into a flare a few days before this hit, I was trying to hold it at bay but I'm losing the battle, if I sit for even a few minutes, I can barely move, my hands are swollen and stiff and my hips, back, ribs, achilles tendons....everything but my lips hurt! I hope you feel better soon and it's great to know that people are helping out. I hate to say this but please be careful of donating money for disaster relief, I worked with Congressman Boustanti, Sentator Mount and Senator Boasso's offices after hurricanes Katrina and Rita, as a community liaison to help communities get the help that they needed, it was utterly disgusting to see how very little of the doanted money actually reached the victims that so desperately needed it!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 06:52 AM

Hi Leanne, thank you so much...if your partner needs any info, can't find someone or needs to contact someone, please feel free to let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 07:03 AM

Hi Mig...Canada sounds wonderful!! I don't know if I could handle the cold though....bbbrrrrr....I'm no snowbunny...I'm a waterbaby! Thank you so much for everything Mig...you're priceless!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 07:14 AM

I just want to let everyone know how much I appreciate everything! You are such a wonderful, caring, awesome bunch, I just can't thank you enough! I've though about yall throughout this ordeal and when I was up on the roof, I thought to myself...wow, if my friends could only see me now! And then it dawned on me that yall would be worried and that didn't set well with me but I want you to know that these posts are doing me a world of good, there is no way that I can or would talk about this situation with someone that's also in it...I can remember in '05 having all of these feelings and thoughts pent up inside of me and no way express them....I locked them up and threw away the key! So again...thank you all for being there once again in my time of need! In the words of Linc....YOU ROCK!!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 07:30 AM

Hi Sarah...Also in regards to the dogs, they are chosen for different jobs by using the results of a battery of tests...not every GSD will make a good search dog and the same goes when choosing a dog for narcotics detection, detonation device det., protection, companion dog, etc....we begin testing just weeks after birth, we test the dog's prey drive, herding instinct, temperment...etc. and we start developing the areas that we detect promise in and it's a continual training and reinforcement of training for life...also the dogs are recertified annually, that's a requirement to ensure that the dog is still on top of his/her game. One more thing that I want to share with you...when choosing a dog to utilise in search and rescue or search and recovery, it's not a matter of picking the dog that finds objects the fastest, you want to find the dog that doesn't give up when he doesn't find the decoy...I don't care if the dog ever finds the search object that I've hidden...I'm going to keep the dog that will search until the end of time for what I want him to find and then I'll take that dog and develop his/her talents and teach him/her how to follow my instructions/direction, that's equally important because you don't want a dog to contaminate a search grid.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 07:48 AM

Just a note....the floodwaters that inundated everything in the Gulf Coast in their path are saltwater...so everything they came in contact with is ruined, waterwell pumps, pool pumps, automobiles...etc. Saltwater is so corrosive it's just unreal! And due to the heat & humidity, everything is already covered in mold, I saw the same thing in '05 and unfortunately, a lot of insurance adjusters don't take this into consideration so the amount that they assess your damage for is rarely enough to cover the repairs.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 10:34 AM

Look at that, you learn something new everyday. I knew they did tests, but I guess I didn't realize how detailed they would be. But when I think about it...it only makes sense. You want the hardest working one for their specialty and just like us, not every dog will have the same specialty or desire.
Thanks for the info Michelle. it's really cool to learn stuff like that.

And yes, part of me would have loved to have seen you on your roof!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 10:46 AM

I know, I felt like Lucille Ball up there...I was half-way expecting Mike to say....Michelle, you've got some "splainin" to do! These weird little thoughts kept popping up in my head too...during the peak of the storm the house started moaning and you don't know that the storm is peaking, for all you know it's gonna get worse and worse until something gives, well at that moment I was wondering how did I get myself into this mess and when I was up on the roof, I was thinking, wow...I was high and dry just thirty minutes ago....who'd thought I'd end up on the roof! And when the sun came up, I saw that we weren't alone on the roof, a few critters had slithered up there with us but the weird thing was...they couldn't care less about you and they weren't no more a threat than the man on the moon...they were too worn out to care and maybe in a little shock too....wierd man....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 10:49 AM

Michelle,

I am astounded to read about what you've been through, what everyone affected by these disasters has been through. I'm sorry I didn't write before, but I have been thinking of you whenever I see the news. I have no adequate well-wishes for this level of disaster, but I do wish you and yours the very best in rebuilding after this. You are an inspiration - your, your family, and your dogs. I hope your flare is subsiding, too. Take care, and be well!!
~Molly B

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 10:55 AM

Well to be honest with you Molly, this doesn't even compare with hurricane Katrina or Rita...I know that's hard to believe but it's true....they're letting people go in to survey the damage of their homes...nobody was allowed in some of the hardest hit neighborhoods in New Orleans and Waveland for months and for Rita, it was 31 days before anyone who had evacuated was allowed in and they had every entrance blocked off by the National Guard and they were showing weapons....they were serious about it! Thanks for thinking of us but don't feel bad about waiting to reply, it makes me feel good but that's not why I post hurricane info... I do so people can get an idea of what it's really like during and after a hurricane, I think that way, when sisater strikes around the globe, I'm so sad for the victims but after the shock wears off, I'm interested in learning the specifics and the mechanics of it. I think that I turn clinical about situations because that's just how my coping system works.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 11:31 AM

I'm sort of the same way about being interested in the mechanics and those sorts of details. I didn't think you were posting about it for sympathy or anything . Yeah, Katrina was something else. I have a friend who was a jazz trumpet player in NO when it hit - he got out beforehand, but he has a lot of friends who didn't. I heard about it secondhand.

~Molly
Posted by: Orch

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 12:20 PM

I am glad your family is OK Michelle. Your dogs sound fun. I have a friend who trains dogs for the blind. I keep thinking that I would like one of the rejects. Just wanted you to know that there are alot of people thinking of you, and wishing you well even if we don't post.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 03:43 PM

Hi Molly, yes, Katrina was really something, honestly, I don't ever want to go thru something like that again! This is a cake-walk compared to that!! I was very productive today and it felt great! I was going to go back to bed this morning but I started netting leaves out of the pool, I got 10 hours of much needed sleep last night and I found my Tramadol and Flexeril yesterday and have been doubling up on them (my doc said it was okay) and I'm feeling a little better...anyway I wound up picking up a lot of trash out of the yard and I've started hosing everything down and I've even put on some ribs on....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 03:48 PM

Thanks Orch, that means a lot to me. The reject dogs are usually a blast! They're usually really goofy and playful, which is always a lot of fun. There are going to be tons of dogs needing homes after these hurricanes and some will be puppies I'm sure, if you really want one, check with your local rescue group, you can specify what breed you would like too.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 04:03 PM

Ribs! Sounds great! My fiance is from Memphis, and we live in Seattle. He tells me I have never had actual barbecue, and I think I believe him. Apparently, when Seattlelites talk about having "barbecues" we're just talking about grilling! I'll have to head South one day to try it.

Glad you found your meds - it's good to feel better, I'm sure!
~Molly

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 05:37 PM

hi molly,

i lived in richmond virginia for a while, and early on, i said i was going to have a barbeque (and i meant a picnic with grilling) and was informed, quite seriously, that BarBQ meant pulled pork...of course those from other BarBQ states would even argue with that definition.

but i will tell ya, even the best BarBQ food up here is no comparison to even average in Virginia....Pulled Pork and Hushpuppies, that's what i remember...and i can't believe none of the BarBQ places up here serve hushpuppies....they brag about being "authentic" and think they're doing well for having fried green tomatoes, but no hushpuppies! that's heresy.....ok, now i know i'm gonna hear it from other BarBQ capitols about what constitutes "proper BarBQ"

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 05:53 PM

Sue, I think you're right! You're gonna find yourself at the center of a KA barbecue firestorm shortly!!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:11 PM

Boom...there she goes, up in flames.....I knew it was only a matter of time!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 06:43 PM

Here's a good alligator story, Mr. Saucier(pronounced Sew-Shay) found a twelve foot alligator on his carport and they took it's picture. Sulphur is just above Hackberry on the map.
http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9010537

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 07:13 PM

Quote:

Here's a good alligator story, Mr. Saucier(pronounced Sew-Shay) found a twelve foot alligator on his carport and they took it's picture. Sulphur is just above Hackberry on the map.
http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9010537

lovely, just lovely....how'd ya like to be greeted by this guy in your robe and slippers going out for the morning paper

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 10:44 PM

Oh my GOD! The worst we have around here is raccoons and opossums! The raccoons can get pretty feisty, but they don't get QUITE that big! Yeesh!
Posted by: Maggie

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 11:10 PM

Hi Michelle

Glad you and your loved ones are safe. Sorry you had to go through this - yet again.
Thank you for all the info. You are so intersesting and informative.

Maggie

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 11:46 PM

Yeah, he's twice as long as the one I caught a few months back. We've got a couple of six footers hanging around and they don't bother me but I wouldn't let Godzilla there stay in my yard! And they can out run most humans on land too! On my birthday we went down to Holly Beach (when I saw the pink dolphin) and I asked a newbie to Louisiana if she wanted to come along and she was so shocked at how many alligators we saw, I guess we're just used to them.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 11:48 PM

Too funny Molly, if the raccoons ever got that big, you'd definitely have a problem on your hands!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/17/08 11:49 PM

how bout 6 foot coons and possums! now that would be something
ok, its late, i'm making no sense
i need to get this thing i'm working on done and go get some sleep!

sue

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/17/08 11:51 PM

Hi Maggie and thank you, I wish I could say for sure that this was the last time and that it won't happen again but in all reality, it probably will.....for the first time in my life I'm considering leaving Louisiana.....that's a scary thought though, I've been here all of my life.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/18/08 06:59 AM

I didn't make the Look & Leave yesterday because I got caught up in cleaning here and by the time I realised it, curfew was too close and if you get caught off of your property after curfew, you go straight to jail. I'm so glad that it worked out that way though because there was a big to-do over there, evidently a cable broke on the pontoon bridge that leads into the area and they couldn't lower the bridge to let anyone in...well people were lined up for miles anxious to get in and see their homes and businesses and they were very upset that they couldn't get in, I understand why they're upset but I'm glad I wasn't there.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/18/08 07:30 AM

This article does a good job of explaining the problems with evacuations in the Houston area, it's also packed with interesting hurricane facts regarding deaths and wind intensity, as well as damage cost estimates and hurricane ratings....it recorded the winds of Rita at 180 mph in Creole. It also discusses hurricane Audrey, all of us grew up on the stories from hurricane Audrey and most of us had a relative that died in Audrey, an interesting fact about Rita, a couple of coffins that were unearthed during hurricane Audrey were never recovered as they were dragged out into the Gulf of Mexico when the storm surge went back out, they were found onshore after hurricane Rita's storm surge went back out. The families of these poor souls were so happy that their loved ones were returned to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita

A few minutes ago I took the dogs out and when I opened the door, I found a neat little basket filled with cleaning supplies, protective gloves, sanitizing soap, sponges and even some bottled water, when I looked down the street, I saw that there's one on every doorstep...it was probably the Urseline nuns from down the street....what a fantastic idea and so thoughtful!

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/18/08 09:34 AM

That link was pretty cool Michelle. Thanks.

And that was an awesome gesture with the little basket. How cool is that.

Re: OMG!!!! - 09/18/08 10:02 AM

I thought it was a great little pick-me up for the neighborhood...it's very laboring, tedious and lenghty to clean up after this and it seems like you'll never get done, that felt like a soft little nudge in the right direction, a little encouragement....it comes in the strangest little tid-bits during a mass catastrophe and those are the moments you hang on to, they'll carry you through. Well, I'm back to work, I'm shoveling mud out of the shop/kennel area so I can wash it all out of there and clean it up...this mud stinks! I can only do a small section at a time because the water takes forever to go down because the ground is so saturated.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 10:13 AM

A friend of mine went to New Orleans to visit and went sightseeing at some local park with footbridges and paths around a swamp...which was filled with alligators! That just makes me laugh! I mean, it's a public park, and it's full of huge alligators! But yes, if you are used to it and know how to avoid them, I'm sure it's a little less shocking. When I was down there, I stayed in the city, so all I saw were drunk tourists. Still scary, but in a different way.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 10:27 AM

I can't even imagine cleaning up after something like that. I'm sure it takes forever, or at least seems like it.
Have fun shoveling mud! I can't imagine having to clean up all that mess!
Happy shoveling....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 10:51 AM

It can get a little hairy down in the French Quarter, Molly....we see alligators everyday in Creole, I caught a 5' about 6 weeks or so ago just playing around, I didn't hurt him and I let him go after.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 10:53 AM

It's pretty yucky...especially if you wait...2-3 days max and everything starts molding and mildewing...I'm doing pretty good though, so far.... The city is picking up storm debris, you just have to separate it, limbs can be no longer than 5 ft. and 6" in diameter, so you cut them up with the chainsaw before stacking them and they're going to start picking up appliances tomorrw and then early next week, they'll start picking up carpeting and furniture and then hopefully they'll be picking up fencing by the end of next week.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 10:57 AM

Michelle, you are SO cool! For real - that is just...so cool.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 11:05 AM

i was about to post:
"Michelle, you are amazing."
but Molly beat me to it.

i can't even fathom what it must be like down there.
but here you are posting, "getting on with your life", like its nothing.

your posts are "good" for the rest of us. i think we all learn so much from each other. not just the health stuff; the life stuff too.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 12:01 PM

I was wondering if they came and picked up that stuff for you guys if it was left to you guys to dispose of it somewhere.

I can't even begin to imagine what that would smell like after it starts to grow mold and everything. EWWW!!!!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 12:54 PM

Thank you but what's so cool? What did I miss?

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 12:57 PM

Yes, they do, the only thing that'll mess you up on that is if you can't throw it out while the city is running the storm debris trucks they're...for instance, if your insurance adjuster hasn't been there yet and you need the debris to prove your loss, that happened to me last time, I wouldn't touch a thing until my insurance adjuster came, it took him 7 months to get here, so this time I took pictures and threw it out anyway...and they say we didn't learn anything from hurricane Katrina!!....pffftt

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 01:10 PM

So, here's my Michelle's a doofus story of the day....I wanted to go see if the pet rescue was set up yet but the only vehicle over here that I had any luck with is one of the shrimp trucks....so here I am driving around a box-truck with FRESH SHRIMP on all four sides in HUGE 15" red letters...but hey, it gets me around and it has A/C so I go down to the coliseum and the staging ground is set up and 18 wheelers are there full of supplies from private donors...it's utterly awesome to see what animal lovers donate for the orphaned animals, I helped after Katrina & Rita and I was just amazed at this operation, the goal is to assemble 700 crates a day to put rescued animals in and fly them out to foster homes all over the country, they'll get top notch vet care and shots and baths and de-worming and hugs and kisses and of course all the food and water they can stand before they leave here...the volunteer ratio is 1 volunteer per 5 animals...that's pretty good and they have been through so much that they all get along beautifully, I've got pictuers of cats and dogs sleeping together after being rescued in '05. So, anyhoo, they finally opened the 1-800 line for people who have evacuated to call in and give their address if they've left a pet behind and they can't get back to their home and we go and break in their home and rescue their animals...my favorite job...there have been over 10,000 calls today already we were told....Well, when I got to the arena area, there was a church using the parking lot to distribute hot meals, bags full of staple goods, toiletries and ice & water to whomever needed it...if there weren't 400 cars in line, my name aint Michelle but anyway, the coolest part was that the youth members of the church were directing traffic and everything was nice and orderly and efficient...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 01:22 PM

What I mean by cool is that you have captured and released alligators (which, for me, counts as cool!), you raise and train rescue dogs, and despite any pain or difficulty you have in your own life (which is a lot right now!), you're helping all these other people and animals. I think that's awesome. Also, it's an everyday thing for you, and you don't seem to even consider doing different. That makes it even cooler.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 02:00 PM

Thanks Sue...that's a very nice compliment, it helps my mind to stay busy, I think it helps everyone's mind, it takes the sting out of it....there were a lot of "feel good" stories down here in '05 but the news stations don't want to report that, the sad truth is, those kind of stories don't make the ratings go up...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 02:02 PM

Thanks Molly, it's common here for women to hunt & fish right alongside their husbands and the men cook too, we own our own trucks, horses, boats & guns and we get upset if we break a nail or someone catches us with a messy house, I will say though that most of them won't fool with alligators or my dogs.....there are tons of people here at KA that if put in the situation would react the same way, it's been awhile back, so I don't remember the name of the post but it was a personality test of sorts and the results showed that our personalities were very similar....this is a great bunch of people in this community and I'm so glad that you found us....you fit right in, Sue was that way too...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 02:39 PM

Awww Michelle, 10,000 calls is gut-wrenchingly sad. I wish so much I could help to rescue their animals... wow it has been days they've been alone now and likely without clean water or food. I always wonder about the wildlife too and how they fair through these terrible hurricanes.

Molly is right on, you are a star Michelle - you are beyond cool!!!

Hugs!
mig

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:05 PM

Hi Everyone,
I just want you all to know I survived IKE. I spent Friday night with my son who lives 5 minutes from where I am here in Katy, we just got lots of rain and winds, lots of trees and fences down. Some roof problems. No water problems. My son is still without cable and Internet but we all have lights.
We have wall to wall coverage on our TV stations here. The devistation in the Galveston and some of the small surrounding small town is really bad.
I have been blessed.
Mitchelle I am so sorry for your loss. But very happy to know you and your family and dogs are alright.
I have been in the Houston area for 30 years now and we have had some hurricans, but nothing like this. Fema and the City folks are doing their best, but it is going to be a long haul. There are many that evacuated that have to be accounted for. And a lot of them will come back to nothing. They are saying now that since there are some that have not been located, they may have been washed out to sea.
One of our TV stations did a Helecopter fly over. Some were blessed and other total loss including businesses.
Any way I am really frustrated that I can't do physical labor to help out but I will do my part in giving to the Red Cross.

God bless you all,
Doreen

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:08 PM

Just want to clarify something. When I said WE I was speaking about the Katy area. My son had no damage to his home.

Doreen

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:32 PM

Thanks Mig, you're pretty cool yourself! You're right, it's been too long for the animals, although this is a quiker response time than it was for Rita and a lot of the calls this time are for checks on livestock, I was told about 40% of the calls are for that...cats will fare better in this situation than dogs will, we've done dog rescues in the past that were two weeks in some cases and they survived. Wildlife really tends to get out of dodge ahead of the storm, that's how I can tell if the storm is really coming, you'll notice that the birds are gone...I read an article after the tsunami that hit the Sri Lanka area and they reported that they found absolutely no dead wildlife...the only dead animals that they found were domestics that couldn't escape the water due to captivity.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks Sue...that's a very nice compliment, it helps my mind to stay busy, I think it helps everyone's mind, it takes the sting out of it....

i think i can understand that. i seem to have less pain on the days that i am busy at work. of course if its a lot, then work makes it worse, but if its less, keeping busy definitely is the way to go.

still, i'm not taking back what i said, so there

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:37 PM

Doreen, I'm so glad that you're okay and I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this. I will tell you though that after Katrina there were so many unaccounted for that they feared the death toll may be as high as 10,000 but it was a little over a third of that in the end, people slowly started contacting family and friends and getting their names off the missing list...we had websites to post the names of people that we were looking for and for us to post so that people would know where we were, hopefully they'll start up something like that for yall. I'm so happy you're alright, I hope things continue to improve and God Bless!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/18/08 03:42 PM

hi doreen,

good to see you popping up here and glad you were spared too much damage.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 06:59 AM

Ok, yeah in that situation, it would suck to have all that stuff laying around for 7 months and then have to find a way to get rid of it. I bet that stuff smelled pleasant after a while!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 08:37 AM

Yeah, it was pretty yucky....I carried around a jar of Vick's vapor rub and put it under my nose, I used it so much that it blistered! I was amazed at how fast the mold grew on everything inside and out! I still had the gutted frame of the first story of the house left and the mold was growing at a rate of about 6 feet a day, and outside it covered trees, fences, everything, like a blanket of snow, it was crazy! Well back to work, my house was on the way to one of the houses requesting pet rescue, so I stopped in to kiss my little Ali & Claire, that's always the high-light of my day!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 09:10 AM

that is some fast moving mold! i didn't even know it could reproduce or whatever it does that fast.

You'll have to post more pictures of those little girls!

Good luck in your pet rescue!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 12:53 PM

I don't know if you have ever heard that Texas is big. You would have to travel around here to see how big. Where I live is far from the coasts like Galveston and some of the areas that was hit hard. All we got was winds and rain. Trees down and some roof were damage and lots of fences down.
I went out to get gas today because I didn't think we would have a problem. There was the normal traffic same prices as before the Hurricane everything is up and running as tho nothing happened.
Michelle hope things are looking better today. I imagine it must be tough to see what has happened to your home and what is continuing to happen.
I am so glad you have the dogs to lift your spirit. Trust God he will make things better than before.

Love and hugs to you
Doreen

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 12:57 PM

Sue I have to say I am blessed. I spent Friday night with my son. The only thing he got at his house was lot of leaves from the trees, not even broken branches. I had no problems at all at my place either.
When I see pictures of Galveston and surrounding areas it is horrible.

Thanks for your response to my posts

Hugs,
Doreen

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:07 PM

Sarah, I have a few pictures to share, the front of the house & pool....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:10 PM

Next door neighbor's....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:13 PM

The downstairs playroom....

Reese's house......

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:14 PM

Neighbor's house as Ike was coming in.....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:15 PM

House in New Orleans.....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:17 PM

ohmygod Michelle. wow....

I can't believe those pictures.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 01:31 PM

Bright side: indoor pool. Sorry, I'm sure you've NEVER heard that joke before. Or the one about waterfront property.

These pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them! I hope clean up goes as smoothly as possible.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 02:07 PM

Ohhh Michelle my goodness. I don't think I fully appreciated how MUCH you were swamped at your home in the city too. I hope you are coping as well as can be through a clean up that must seem overwhelming in magnitude.

(super job on posting pics, btw, you are a star!)

mig

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 05:31 PM

Sarah...I got kicked offline right after I posted these pictures, I needed to go anyway, tomorrow the pet rescue is moving west towards the Bolivar Peninsula(Galveston & Shell Beach) they weren't able to let anyone in, that's of course where most of the calls came in from btween Lake Charles and Galveston....I've been helping to pack the supply trucks this afternoon...oh yeah...I took a picture inside a rescue house for yall today...the house was in really bad shape! We actually take a picture at each rescue but this one is a little different, I spoke to the owner awhile ago, we call them after we get their pet so they know that they got out okay and I asked her if I could share the picture, she said absolutely, no problem, she was really nice, but out of respect for her, I'd rather to send it in a PM.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 05:32 PM

Hi Molly, I know huh?! I was thinking today, it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "House on the Water" too!....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 05:38 PM

Hi Mig, actually the pictures from LC were taken after the water went down except the one of my neighbor's house, the one taken of Ike rolling in...the one of Reese's is in town, that's wind damage but the water level in the picture of the other house is accurate, so it's not too, too bad by comparison. I hope I'm coping alright too, last time I did the same thing, I worked like this for about a year and a half, then I took a 2 month nap. Thanks for the compliment!

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 08:04 PM

wow, michelle, that really helps in the visualizing of what you've all been through.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 08:41 PM

I just saw this on my homepage and thought it was a neat story....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920/ap_on_re_us/ike_mystery_ship

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 09:18 PM

I got this one of Claire right before the storm.....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 09:36 PM

This picture was taken right after the storm by a friend of ours that is a parish planner, they were out in boats surveying the damage......

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 10:02 PM

its nice to have photos on the internet now,
i thought about that after you mentioned losing photos of your children in katrina and seeing this photo of claire.

when i'm writing a long important document (paper, grant proposal, etc), i email it to myself and my husband as backup, just in case anything happens to my laptop or the building burns down.

sue

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/19/08 10:09 PM

That's a good idea Sue, I've got most of my pics stored on disc and a lot of them stored on an online photo storage and I also keep my negatives seperate from the photos in case something happens that way I can print more photos and the negatives fit in a dry box better.

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/20/08 06:10 AM

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/20/08 06:28 AM

I saw a story on CNN this morning where some evacuees from Texas that have been living in their cars for a week with their children, pets & everything they have left in the world, found a hotel yesterday, spent 1 night but they're getting kicked out this morning to accomodate football fans that are coming to town for a game....this is what it's like when you evacuate and then can't get back in after the storm and you have nowhere to go...some of these poor people didn't look as if they had the money to drive around...it's pretty hot to be sitting in your car all day with babies & pets, if I knew how to contact them, I'll let them come here...

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/20/08 07:06 AM

I should probably explain why so many people stayed after the '05 hurricanes because I'm sure a lot of people wonder why anyone in their right mind would stay....okay, Katrina hits and the powers that be have a round table meeting and I would guess that it went something like this..."What are we gonna do? You know that when the homeowners get their insurance money, they'll pack up everything they've got left and they'll be gone and then all we're gonna have left are the citizens that need our help and without the tax revenue from the homeowners, we can't afford that, we'll be broke in no time and we won't have jobs!"..."I know, let's call the insurance companies and tell them to drag their feet settling these insurance claims...we can tell them to drag it out, I don't know...a year or two...and by then, people will have settled down."..."Yeah..and we can send them letters from the city & parish telling them that we're going to fine them if they don't clean up their property and that way not only will we still have tax paying citizens here but the city will be liveable and we get to collect some pretty hefty fine money from those that can't/won't clean up their place in the meantime."...."Hey, check this out, I got a phone call from a private for-profit company this morning...they said that if we can get the Feds to give us some disaster money for rebuilding, they'll handle the distribution of the money to our citizens for us and we don't have to be bothered with it at all.".....Enter R.O.B.(the private, for-profit company that has so generously offered to help), "Gentlemen, Good Morning and I must say, great job! I understand that you rallied the government and they allotted yall 15 billion dollars to help the poor people of this unfortunate tragedy.....well that's great, wonderful news!...as my partners & I explained in our earlier conversation, we would like to help you and the victims of this hurricane....for a small fee, of course...oh and, uhhmm...we'll need money out of that fund for administratives fees and uhmmm payroll, bonuses, travel expenses and general overhead...yes sir, it's gonna take BIG money to help these people...big money but your people are gonna love you for it, no doubt you'll be re-elected next term, you see we have a subsidary enrollment company, Wehook Youcrook, that we'll deploy to sign up the victims and they'll be lobbying for you while they're out in the field getting the contracts signed, we had our legal firm, Dewey, Skrewum & Howe, formerly known as Sucker, Punchem & Runn, draw the contracts up. All of this can be yours for a small fee, of course.... but the best part, you won't have to lift a finger, no sir, not a finger we'll do all the work for you....let's see, how does 40% sound?"....all the while he's thinking to himself..."HeeHee, I'm gonna shake things up so bad that by the time these fools realise what's happened, I'll be long gone and I'll be taking most of that money with me and if the feds figure it out, I'll blame it on my CFO and let him take the fall while I'm laughing all the way to the bank!" Meanwhile, back at the farm....

The citizens call R.O.B. to check on the status of their application and the phone number has been disconnected and suddenly reality slaps them in the face....the boat's gone and they're still in the fishbowl....

Re: OMG!!!! Are you ok? - 09/20/08 09:56 AM

The insurance adjuster from my auto company just left, he totalled out the trucks immediately and I'm so lucky, my neighbor's have a different insurance company and they told them to hose out the inside of their vehicles and then take them to a dealership and they'll clean them up and they'll be just like new (she's got a new cadillac & he's got a new dually truck)....my insurance adjuster agreed with me that since it was salt water the vehicles are going to rust out, he even showed me that mine was already starting to rust....I have State Farm and I have to say that they treated us well but I feel for the Lebleu's, they've got a tough battle ahead of them with their insurance company..

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 10:01 AM

One more note...we were notified this morning that there are two more tropical systems out there and one of them is favored to strenghthen and be a threat to us as the steering winds will likely bring it right through here...this is it for us if we get hit again...I've already begun gathering what I can and taking care of as much as I can, we may have only a few days to do what we can....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 11:14 AM

Oh nooooo Michelle... there is NO WAY you can be in for another storm, that is just utterly unfair and how on earth will you evacuate without your trucks?

That's it, you need to come to Canada now.
mig

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 11:34 AM

Canada Dry.....that has a whole new meaning now too! My neighbors called me shortly after hearing this news to see if I wanted to meet them outside for a drink...I had to tell 'em that I'd already started without them! Yep...I'm having me a few White Russians...at least I'll get my calcium intake! The girls are at the coliseum bathing the newest rescues that were brought in last night, I hope they don't hear the news while they're there but it's very likely that they will because I've already had calls about relocating the staging area for pet rescue....I don't know how we're gonna leave without the trucks, I was contemplating that one myself! But...then I remembered....I have the lovely shrimp truck to fall back on! WooHoo!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 11:39 AM

BTW...thanks for fixing my baby's picture....in the words of Lync....YOU ROCK!!! Oh, and did you see the storms on the hurricane map that I posted the link to? I don't know if this is a battle worth fighting anymore...it may be time to through in the proverbial towel! J'ai eu assez mais il est tout bon!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 12:15 PM

Let's here it for the girls!....Chelsea & Abigail!! This was on the front page this morning, it's the second time in three years that this poor soul's casket was unearthed!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 12:22 PM

Sue got me to thinking about something...she said it was nice to have pictures on the internet now, so I decided to post my baby's pictures here in case something happens to my computer...so, here's my Monica, Claire's big sister...they say she's a mini Me and you can hardly tell the difference between Monica, Claire & I in our baby pictures. You can't tell in this photo but Monica's hair is all the way down her back...long, long...it's in a ponytail in this picture because we were eating langouste (crawfish) at our camp....

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 12:57 PM

GOODBY JOE" J'AI POUR ALLEZ, MI-O-MA-Y-O
J'AI POUR ALLEZ MOI TOUT SEUL
SUR LE BAYOU
MA YVONNE, LA PLUS JOLIE
SUR LE BAYOU
TONNERRE M'ECRASE
UN VA AVOIR UN BON TEMP
SUR LE BAYOU

JAMBALAYA, DES TARTES D'ECREUVISSE, FILE GOMBO
PAR A SOIR MOI J'VA ALLEZ VOIR
MA CHERE AMI-O
JOUER L'GUITAR, BOIRE DE LA JOGUE(cruche)
ET FAIR DE LA MUSIQUE
TOMNNERRE M'ECRASE
UN VA AVOIR UN BON TEMP
DE SUR LE BAYOU
THIBODEAUX, FONTENOT, LA PLACE APRE SONNER
CA VIEN "EN TAS" POUR VOIR YVONNE
PAR LES DOUZAINES
FAIR BIEN L'AMOUR, ET FAIR LE FOU, FAIR LA MUSIQUE
TONNERRE M'ECRASE
UN VA AVOIR UN BON TEMP

AaaYYEEeeee!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 01:00 PM

Good-bye Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou
My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, well have big fun on the bayou

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and file' gumbo
'Cause tonight Im gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o

Thibodeaux, Fontainenot, the place is buzzin
Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style and go hog wild, me oh my oh

Settle down, far from town, get me a pirogue
And Ill catch all the fish in the bayou
Swap my mon to buy Yvonne what she need-o

I say....AAaaYYyyyEEEeeee....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPEsa5e7K0

This is a must see!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 01:10 PM

Mitchell I could see this is beginning to get to you. But hang in there. Let's pray that these storms they are talking about will leave us alone.
You have so much to deal with right now, I feel for you, when I look around Katy and see life going on as tho nothing happened I am amazed. We didn't have church last weekend, but our Pastor Dr Ed Young sent us a recorded message telling us we will have church at all five of our campuses this weekend, but come dressed super casual. Our main campus was used as one of the pods giving out stuff. But we also on our own prepared hot meals for the first responders and our volunteers and whoever needed a hot meal.
Houston still have over a million without lights. It is going to be a long haul. At my age all I am able to do is pray and support the Red cross.
Hope you are able to get some rests in between planning and cleaning.

God bless
hugs
Doreen

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 01:18 PM

Michelle oui, vous avez eu assez... pour tout le monde!

Canada dry, that cracked me up! Still cracking jokes even with this news, wow. Yep I saw that map and this time I hope you'll get outta dodge and find a way to move the pet rescue staging area - gosh but that will be a massive undertaking all in itself. Thank goodness for the shrimp truck!!!

And three cheers and scritches of praise for Chelsea and Abigail!!

Wow yes, the resemblance between Monica and Claire is amazing. They share that same cute smile too.

Lots of hugs and wishes that these new storms will fizzle out.
mig

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 01:32 PM

Thanks Doreen, yes it is getting to me a lot, when I talk to my older generation, my maw-maw, paw-paw and mee-maw, my parrain & nanny, I can see the fear in their eyes and hear it in their voice, you know a lot of them don't speak anglais...or if they do, it's broken and they are just as afraid of living in "the other world" as they call it, as they are of the hurricanes...and I understand where they're coming from...we live in a whole nother world and we're afraid that our culture will die. I'm glad that things are going as well as can be expected there and I hope they continue to do so...

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 01:35 PM

I don't know about enough for everyone but for sure a lot...thank you, I think my girls did well too...and thank God for the shrimp truck...Oui, Sa C'est Bon!!!

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/20/08 07:06 PM

hi michelle,

my dad listened to hank williams all the time when i was growing up....
knew many of the songs by heart.....
this one and "hey good lookin'" were two i remember especially well....
of course back then i thought that second song was about him wanting his "woman" to cook him something to eat ....

i know what you mean about "way of life".....i hate to see the homgenization of the U.S., everything fast food chains and chain stores...i love regional traditions, regional cuisine, regional music....and New Orleans and Louisiana in general are one of the best for that.....being such a big music and food fan, i can really appreciated that.

stay safe and thank you for all the photos and stories,

sue

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/22/08 06:02 AM

Hi Sue...that's funny that you should say that, Hunter also did Hank Williams' "Hey Good Lookin"! I'll have to find that one for you....Oh, you mean he didn't want her to cook for him?

Re: OMG!!!Here we go again! - 09/22/08 06:36 AM

Ohmygod Michelle. I don't even know what to say to be honest! Another tropical storm/hurricane. NO WAY! That just stinks. I saw the link. Hopefully it just dies. HAHA...odds of that are pretty slim huh?

I got the picture, thank you! I can't believe it. These poor people. I don't think I could leave my dogs behind. They're just like my kids. And if I couldn't leave with them, I'd probably end up staying behind.

And the pictures of the Clair and Monica are so cute!

I guess you guys have to go buy some new cars now? Goodness Gracious!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/22/08 06:43 AM

I looked at the computer predictions last night and we might be spared by this one...I know, I couldn't leave my pets behind either but a lot of people do. Yep...new vehicles but I don't even know where to start looking...most of the dealerships lost all of their vehicles and the ones that had any vehicles left sold out real fast! The insurance adjuster for the house might come today too...if they total either house, I'll be looking for a house too...I'm not sure what city or state, for that matter....

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/22/08 01:10 PM

Holy cow Michelle. I can't imagine having to do all of that. Do you think they will total out the house? If they only totaled one house, would you keep the other one? Or sell the other one off and just leave LA?

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/22/08 02:07 PM

I don't really know Sarah, part of me wants to stay but honestly, it's getting old, going through these hurricanes, for the last three years, we've spent amost all of our time cleaning, painting, roofing, rebuilding, repairing or evacuating, it's time to get back to living. Louisiana is our home but....leaving might be the most practical thing to do, although it will also be the most painful.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/22/08 09:26 PM

I just finished reading the minutes from the OEP meeting concerning Cameron, Creole, Hackberry, basically the whole area and I was both shocked and impressed, they advised citizens that we are still under a mandatory evacuation and we won't be able to return until it's safe and then they went down the usual list of hazards, snakes, alligators, chemicals...but what impressed me is they ended with a note about bacteria in the standing water that could affect the young, old and those with a compromised immune system such as persons with auto-immune diseases. I think it will in all probability be quite some time before we can get in there, because they actually moved all court cases from the area to a court house up north instead of just suspending court and I've still gotten no mail at either place since two days before the storm.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 05:51 AM

Well, the post-hurricane hatchlings have arrived! OMG...I walked outside this morning and got mugged by some of the biggest mosquitoes I've ever seen!! We had the same problem in '05, a week to the day after the hurricane, I was outside at around 2 p.m. cleaning up debris and one of my neighbors hollered over at me to take cover, she said that she'd just heard on the radio that a swarm of mosquitoes was heading our way, she no longer got the words out of her mouth when a swarm of mosquitoes so big came through that it almost blocked out the sun! Well, it got hazy anyway, it was unreal! What happens is this, the mosquitoes lay eggs in all the warm water that the storm pushed ashore and that water is absent of it's normal mosquito egg eating predator population and the parish hasn't been out spraying either, so this unbelievable mass of eggs hatch but there's nothing for the mosquitoes to eat, so they head north in search of food, it's a sight to see, but this time, they invaded in the still of the night! I heard on the 6:00 news that they're going to send out the planes as soon as the sun comes up to spray the little monsters...

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 08:42 AM

I can imagine leaving under these circumstances would be hard. It's not like you're leaving because you really want to, but more like because you feel that you have to. I can imagine it's been quite tough. You definitely need to get back to living.

Did the adjuster come out?

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 08:43 AM

OHMYGOD. I can't imagine having that many mosquitoes around. I hate those things. hopefully they got them all sprayed and they're leaving you guys alone!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 09:27 AM

Yeah, the adjuster came to the house in the city but they're getting real good at squirming out of paying, flood insurance here costs us $428.00 a month and it only covers 60% of the loss and the adjuster tried to tell us that the water only came up 10" deep, so I gave him a copy of the pictures, so we'll see. And it is going to be hard to leave but you're right, it's time for us to get back to living...

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 09:44 AM

Oh they're awful Sarah, even in the daytime, I heard the plane this morning but it didn't sound like he was low enough to spray, I'm wondering if they can't really spray certain areas because it will get inside the houses that have roof damage or that have to keep their windows open because their AC was ruined by the water and could make people sick or worse.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 11:30 AM

ohmygosh Michelle. that's horrible. Only 60%???? Only 10" huh? Hopefully those pictures will prove they're insane!

Speaking of moving, Tim and I are contemplating a move to FL. How crazy is that? You want to get away from hurricanes and I want to move to them!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 11:31 AM

That might be it. I know when the planes up here spray their crops they have to be really careful after a storm or anything that's left a home exposed in any way. Could be the same thing.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 02:02 PM

Florida's not too bad, my in-laws live just outside of Miami and they haven't been hit in a few years plus, my father-in-law and I were talking about the difference between hurricane damage here and there and he explained to me that the houses, buildings, etc. are designed to withstand hurricanes so even when they do get hit, they bounce back quickly. Also, the hurricanes aren't very big or strong when they pass through because there's a lot of land off the coast of Florida that the storms have to cross over and it takes the punch out of them...there's Cuba, the Florida Straits, the Caicos, the Lesser Antilles, etc....we get it so bad because the hurricanes are out in the open, warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico building up for several days before making landfall. I think you should do it, it's beautiful!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 02:03 PM

P.S. I'm so glad to see Benjamin!!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/23/08 06:56 PM

The pricetag of the evacuation for hurricane Gustav is in, it was posted on the front page of the paper today...384 Million Dollars is what it cost the state to evacuate people in Louisiana, this doesn't include Mississippi, Alabama or Texas...I bet the bill for Ike's evacuation is going to be a real whopper! And this is the state's cost for traffic police, contraflow & shelters...this figure doesn't include the cost that citizens had to put out of pocket for gas and hotels rooms....of course we'll pay the state bill when they hike up our taxes to cover it.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 04:34 AM

WOW. My goodness Michelle, that is massive!! I imagine it is far from easy and and employs thousands to orchestrate.

Wish this hurricane season would end for you already.

mig

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 06:00 AM

Good morning Mig...yep, by my estimates, that's about $284 per person, on the state's side. Today is the anniversary of hurricane Rita, ironically your post was sent at the precise moment that Rita made landfall. Hurricane Rita hit Louisiana 3 weeks after Katrina, it was a devestating hurricane and actually went down in history as being the stronger of the two storms, it didn't get the national attention that Katrina did due to government censorship, the majority of it was kept out of the press. I suspect this was because there weren't enough National Guardsman stateside to protect life & property and after the embarassing publicity of a the unchecked civil unrest after hurricane Katrina, the government didn't allow the media in at all, fearing another public "black-eye" months before the beginning of an election year. Rita is however in the history books listed as one of the largest, strongest and the fourth most expensive natural disaster in U.S. History.

Hurricane Rita was the fourth-most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded and the most intense tropical cyclone ever observed in the Gulf of Mexico. Rita caused $11.3 billion in damage on the U.S. Gulf Coast in September 2005.[1] Rita was the seventeenth named storm, tenth hurricane, fifth major hurricane, and third Category 5 hurricane of the historic 2005 Atlantic hurricane season.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 06:27 AM

If I can find a job down there, you better your butt I'll be going. I've always wanted to live in FL and if I can find something in my line of work, I'm totally there!

We're looking mainly at Tampa or Melbourne areas right now. i didn't think FL got hit as bad as you guys. But, it's been a while since they really got bombarded, so I couldn't remember.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 06:28 AM

he's glad to be smiling at you!

he's sick right now. he got a cold yesterday and is just one unhappy baby. i feel so bad for him, but part of me loves it because he'll snuggle with me. Probably not a nice "mommy" thing to say. but it's true. he's not normally a snuggler, you might get a hug and he's off doing a million things, so when he does, i love to take complete advantage of it!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 09:20 AM

Awe, poor baby! I'm sorry to hear that he's under the weather, I don't think it's bad that you're loving the snugglin'! And as far as that goes...it's always nice to know that they need us and that they know that nobody can comfort them like Momma can!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 03:13 PM

Frankly, I don't care what it cost. As long as nobody was hurt or killed or anything, the expense is worth it.

Glad you're OK. The tyke over on the link you posted is adorable.

Hugs,

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 03:49 PM

Thanks Kat, it's good to see ya, I hope you & your baby are feeling well and we all love that little tyke!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 09:00 PM

Well, I have good news on the pet rescue end, most of the rescued animals have already been reunited with their owners, our group pulled 182 pets and all of them were in pretty good shape, thank goodness we got a cool snap right after the storm hit and we weren't battling dehydration like last time so it was a relative breeze by comparison. It was in the lower 80s during the day and upper 60s at night, during the '05 season it was unbearably hot, so it took it's toll on the poor animals. We are going to foster 50 or so animals coming out of Texas because their owners just aren't in a position to take them back right now, the families are either staying in a hotel or with family/friends and there aren't accomodations for their pets right now, so we'll take care of their babies for them until they can bring them back home. We've got a litter of puppies coming that was born a few days after the storm, I'm going to keep the momma & babies at our house, I can't wait! Puppy breath!!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 10:13 PM

OMG! Puppies are the best. I'm so happy to hear that the pet rescuing is going so well. I always worry about the little guys.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/24/08 10:33 PM

I totally agree, Molly, puppies are just great! I can hardly wait until they get here!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 09:08 AM

It's good to know he still needs me! He's just a go, go, goer, that it seems like he could care less about me....I know that's not true, but you know what I mean!

that's awesome about all the pets you guys rescued! I'm happy they're ok. And you're taking in puppies, i'm jealous! I LOVE puppy breath!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 09:18 AM

I bet Ben is all over the place, when the kids were about that age I let them play in the pots & pans while I was in the kitchen cooking, which, as you know, is just about all of the time and two of them can cook like nobody's business, you'd think it would be my girls but it's Kristen & Brandon!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 09:35 AM

My Mom has had an upper respiratory infection since Monday and her doctor told her at her follow-up visit this morning that it's developed into pneumonia in both lungs and he's admitting her to the hospital. Mom has SLE, Systemic Lupus, and she was Dxed with Pulmonary Fibrosis a little over two years ago, at first they called it "Glass Lung Syndrome", anyway, she is on oxygen and has to do several breathing treatments a day and she has a home-health respiratory therapists that comes in three times a week for breathing exercises but because of all the mold that's everywhere from the hurricanes, she's having a really hard time. I know her blood oxygen saturation was pretty low when she went in, so he sent her to the hospital by ambulance but she's in the ER because there aren't any beds available. My sister asked one of the ER nurses how long she thought it might be and the nurse pointed out a man in the ER and told my sister that he'd had a heart attack the day before and they were still waiting on a bed for him and about 10 other patients. Mom has really been having a rough year, she has spent most of the last year in the hospital, she was permanently hospitalized at Dubuis but they had us go get her when the first hurricane, Gustav, hit. She says that she's ready to go into assisted living because she's afraid to be home alone at her house, so I started looking into places to places this morning but she will have to go to north Louisiana because all the nursing homes here are still damaged and it will take awhile to make the necessary repairs.....she can't come to our house for the same reason and the mold would just be too hard on her lungs.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 10:43 AM

sorry to hear about your mother.
hope you find a nice place for your mother to call home.
i can understand about the mold being bad for her.

sue

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 10:51 AM

You bettah post some puppy pics!!!! Need my vicarious puppy shnookums. I SO want to adopt a pet right now. My fiance is allergic to cats, so we are considering a rabbit, a dog, or (and this is my idea) CHICKENS! I read that I am allowed up to 3 chickens in my urban backyard. How cool would that be? Very! But I'll probably start with a bunny or a rescued greyhound. Then, I'll move into the urban animal husbandry. I know the neighbors wouldn't appreciate the early morning clucking!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 11:00 AM

Thanks Sue, I was realy shocked to hear that my Mother wanted to leave her home and enter into assisted living...she definitely has enough serious health issues, having so much trouble with her Lupus to warrant it but I just can't believe that she wants to leave her house, she loves that place! I think it has something to do with losing her beloved pet, Tofu, during the evacuation. He will be so missed! Maybe she stayed in her home this long because she knew that she couldn't bring Tofu with her.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 11:03 AM

hi molly b,

funny you mention this. i just saw a story on our local news related to this.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=fdd010dc-e99c-4dbc-b842-c660dcccbed5

http://groups.google.com/group/citychickens

sue

PS when we lived in virginia, my husband traded a queen bee (he kept a hive of bees, and when they send you a new queen, they send two, in case one dies i guess, and he didn't want to see one "go to waste" so he asked the local "bee man" for names of anyone that could use a queen....but i digress) for fresh eggs....a variety from a variety of different kinds of chickens, they were really good, and we talked about getting chickens but never did. but apparently from that news piece, sounds pretty easy for people to do.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 11:04 AM

Hi Molly! I will definitely post pictures of the puppies... I'm excited to get them & Momma dog here so I can love on them and puppies always keep me in a good mood, yep, puppies & babies...it just doesn't get any better than that! Well, I'm off to pick up a rental car, it was almost impossible to find one, we have rental allowance on our insurance company but until today, there were absolutely no rental cars available anywhere in the city because so many people needed them.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 11:21 AM

Yay! Chickens! I'll keep working on convincing my sweetie (and the neighbors!)

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 11:53 AM

Hi again Molly, I thought I was going to go pick up the rental but it's not ready yet, but I was thinking about what you said about the chickens, I've heard of people that had chickens and they said they loved them! Now Kristen brought a rabbit home from the Rabbit Festival one year and of course I was the one that took care of it and I gotta tell ya...I fell in love with that rabbit, this little bunny was hilarious! It's a tough call between the two I'm sure, Molly but you can't go wrong either way!

P.S. Have you thought about getting a pig? I heard that they are very smart and make fantastic pets!
Posted by: trudi

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 04:44 PM

Hey Michelle.. I haven't been able to read the whole 23 pages of posts here, but letting you know my thoughts are with you... you can always move in with us!!! ;-) we have a big house!! hehehehe...

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/25/08 05:16 PM

Hey Trudi! Thanks for the offer, I plan on giving you a call, as soon as everything slows down a little bit...Thanks for the offer and you never know, I might just show up on your doorstep!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/26/08 06:19 AM

The kid is non-stop. From the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed, he goes goes goes. He might lay his head down for a 5 second rest, and then he's off again! He's a trip! I don't think he knows how to sit still.

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/26/08 08:47 AM

I bet he is a handful, Brandon was like that but now that he has children of his own, I tell those stories from when he was young and the shenanigans that he pulled and we laugh & laugh about it!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/26/08 11:40 PM

Angie just called to let me know that she'll be here in about 30 minutes with the puppies!! I just can't wait...we set them up in the laundry room that way the Momma dog won't have to worry about my dogs being around her babies, I can close the door and it's nice and quiet, I put a kiddie pool in there and put a blanket down in it and I put one of those big doggie pillows outside of the pool in case Momma dog wants to get away from the puppies every now and then, I'm so excited!! Puppy breath!!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/27/08 07:41 PM

Puppies!

now we only have a bird (as cats and dogs like birds, but not in the same way we do )

but growing up, we lived on my great grandparents old (what had been) dairy farm, and we had cats and kittens, dogs and puppies, horses. animals are great. i know some people have a preference, but i love them all. great therapy.

sue

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/27/08 07:50 PM

I know Sue...they are all awesome, I just finished pottying all the dogs and I someone let Kristen's chihuahua out on accident and Chelsea & Abby almost got her, she was flat bookin' it trying to get away from them, I picked her up and I told her that she was lucky I was there...those to German Shepherds must've looked like monsters to her because her little heart was going 90 to nothing!

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/29/08 07:45 AM

How are those puppies making out Michelle? Everyone behaving themselves?

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/29/08 03:56 PM

Hi Sarah...oh yeah, they're having a blast!! My dogs are dying to see them but of course I won't let them near them because I don't want to upset Momma dog. Yeah, Momma dog and puppies are behaving wonderfully, my dogs are acting all innocent but waiting for me to turn my back so they can go see.... I took pictures, I need to post them, maybe tonight, I'm slap-dab worn out! I woke up in the middle of the night soaking wet from a night sweat! I had to get up and shower and luckily I was wrapped up in a summer blanket so I didn't have to get Mike up and change the bed...I hate it when I have those, they worry me more than anything, I always think I have some dread disease...oh yeah, that's right...I do! I found a vehicle today, I'm happy to have that over with! I've been looking at what the dealerships have online but shopping for a vehicle is stressful no matter how you do it....

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/29/08 04:01 PM

Hi Michelle,

Yes! We need puppy pics, please! Sorry you're having night sweats. Those do not seem like they'd be too much fun. Glad you found a car, though! That's good!
~Molly B

Re: OMG!!!Better Days! - 09/29/08 08:43 PM

Hi Molly, no they aren't fun, I don't know what is causing me to have them, it's happened 3 or 4 times now and it's not fun...I love my new Tahoe though! It'll be here Thursday, it's coming from a dealership in west Texas....

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/29/08 08:57 PM

Oh my! Aren't they so sweet?!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/29/08 09:04 PM

This picture was on the same roll, it was taken at our church on Christmas Eve '07, at midnight mass, that's my friend Theresa holding her little boy, Michael Patrick, he's such a cutie.... I was trying to untangle him from his Mother's cross chain, we lost the church to hurricane Ike, they finished rebuilding it last summer, it had been destroyed by hurricane Rita in '05.

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/29/08 09:48 PM

Sorry these pictures are so big yall, I guess I need a little more practice... I sent mig a PM and asked her to down-size them for me and I'm sure she'll come to my rescue...again... when she gets the message...

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 03:29 AM

Sorry not quite as fast today Michelle but done!

Sorry you lost the church building again, that must be very hard on the whole community. Wow tho, I can tell by this pic how much Monica and little Claire DO take after you! And those puppies awwwwwwwww they are so tiny and adorable!!! That must be oodles of fun, fostering them right now. I love how you have em all corralled safely in a kiddie pool, what a great idea. lol

Hugs!
mig

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 06:22 AM

Thank you so much Mig...and that was plenty fast! Yes, it's a blast having the puppies in the house, Momma dog is having a stomach problem this morning, I went to bed about 2:00 and I heard her whining around 5:00 and I went to check on her and she'd had an accident...poor thing...I could tell that she was embarrassed about it. I took her outside and she was ina little distress, so I'm going to bring her to the vet in a little while, I think I know what it is though, Mike & Gabi BBQ'd ribs Sunday and gave the dogs rib bones, by the time I caught it, it was too late... The kiddie pools work great for puppies and post operative dogs because they're not porous so you can sterilize them after cleaning them and I keep old sheets to put down in the bottom... Thanks again Mig, you're a lifesaver!!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 07:08 AM

Ohmygod Michelle...those puppies are just way too cute! I just wanna kiss them up! I LOVE puppies! and puppy breath....I'm so jealous.

i'm sorry to hear about your church.

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 09:42 AM

My head just exploded from all this cuteness! OMG!!!! Can I get in the pool, too?

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 09:56 PM

Thanks Sarah, Our Lady of the Seas will be missed by many!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 09:58 PM

C'Mon!...There's room for all! We have a new addition, this little guy lost his Mother in the hurricane....he lives in the house too now, he was so hungry that he literally ran up my leg and got on my shoulder and then the top of my head while I was having coffee this morning! I named him Rocky!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 10:25 PM

THAT's not a puppy!! Wow. I have seen shows about little baby squirrs being raised by people. There's one show that had him making a little bed in a mixing bowl using kleenex. It was so fricking cute!!!! Keep up posted. How adorable!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 09/30/08 11:49 PM

OMG!! I forgot about that... I saw that commercial recently, for the first time...I laughed so hard!! I wonder how they did that?!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 10/01/08 07:17 AM

Michelle! I'm so jealous of you!!! Puppies, now squirrels...what's next for you?

The world is lucky to have someone like you in it. They need more of you!

Re: OMG!!!Puppies! - 10/01/08 07:42 AM

Hi Sarah...that's so sweet of you to say! But really, I'm getting the better end of the stick here, I get puppy breath and baby squirrel...they have to put up with me googling over them like a kid.... I made up a post just for the squirrel, it's titled Rocky Rescue and that's where I'm going to put the squirrel updates and pics...

Re: OMG!!! - 10/01/08 09:18 AM

The evacuation order was lifted in Cameron a couple of days ago and sadly, Marcel Thibeaux, a woman I know, went home and fell off of a boat and was carried under with the currents and drowned...she leaves behind three children and two grandchildren, please keep her family in your prayers...

Re: OMG!!! - 10/01/08 12:29 PM

Quote:

The evacuation order was lifted in Cameron a couple of days ago and sadly, Marcel Thibeaux, a woman I know, went home and fell off of a boat and was carried under with the currents and drowned...she leaves behind three children and two grandchildren, please keep her family in your prayers...

that is so sad to hear.

sue

Re: OMG!!! - 10/01/08 02:16 PM

Yes Sue, it really is sad, I spoke with her Mother while the search for her was still going on and she was just beside herself and I know her heart is broken and her children and granchildren's lives will be forever changed by this and the family is still struggling to find a suitable home as they lost their home in the hurricane.

Re: OMG!!! - 10/01/08 02:21 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll send good thoughts to the family.

Re: OMG!!! - 10/01/08 10:25 PM

That would be great Molly!

Re: OMG!!! - 10/02/08 06:32 AM

Oh Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That's so sad. My thoughts and prayers are going to their family.

Re: OMG!!! - 10/02/08 07:34 PM

I heard today that some of the local businesses pitched in together and sprang for the funeral expenses and gave it to the funeral home and the funeral home told Marcel's family that it had already been taken care of when they went to make the arrangements, I thought that was awesome! What a blessing!

Re: OMG!!! - 10/03/08 06:39 AM

Awww....that's so sweet. It's really nice to know there still are nice people out htere. Too bad you don't hear about them on the news and stuff.

Re: OMG!!! - 10/03/08 07:25 AM

I know, I've always wanted to have a happy news only program!! You know....and in Akron, Ohio today little Timmy Anderson found a small treasure under his pillow that was evidently left by the tooth-fairy! His cousin Susie, who viewers may remember from yesterday's special report on honor roll students, reported that she too had gotten a visit from the tooth-fairy the week before and we have confirmed several sightings in the area....

Re: OMG!!! - 10/03/08 08:18 AM

teehee! that's a great idea!

casket rescues - 10/19/08 08:33 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/19/ike.lost.caskets.ap/index.html

found this news story on CNN that reminded me of what you discussed in this post regarding your dogs and finding unearthed caskets.

thought others might like to read it too.

sue

Re: casket rescues - 10/21/08 11:33 PM

Hi Sue, the dogs and I are still pitching in where we can, it's a very difficult task though, both mentally and physically and it takes it's toll....thanks for posting the article, the scope of the aftermath of something like this is very hard for those not in it to understand and for many it's very hard to cope with the thought that people far away may think that our region has recovered from the devastation and that it's behind us, like any other situation, the worst thing that can happen to someone who's been through a traumatic experience is to not have their emotions validated, so on that note, it's important that people understand.

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 09:53 AM

Well, I just got notification that our house is slated for demolition in 2 weeks.... I guess you win some and you lose some, this is the second time in 3 years, I won't rebuild this time.
Posted by: stevec

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 10:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear that your house is scheduled for dmeolition and that its too much to try to again rebuild.

Rather than just passing along my sorrow and regards, I wanted to state the obvious and just tell you that I and my wife are amazed by the courage and determination you have shown through your posts. You are amazing and you ability to cope through all this reminds us how we should deal with our challenges.

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 04:14 PM

i second steve's sentiments.

sorry to hear the news, and hard to imagine dealing with challenges like this, not once, but twice.

and i know its a lot of people down there in the same position; we really do admire the strength and fortitude you all demonstrate.

sue

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 06:51 PM

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate that, yall have been really instumental in keeping me sane but I feel it only fair to come clean.....I'm not always calm, I have been known to rip-up a politician or two over this levee situation, definitely not some of my proudest moments but I have to admit, they had it coming and it felt good.

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 06:57 PM

Oh Michelle,

I am just so sorry!

I know there is nothing to say that will ease the hurt of losing your house. Just know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Lisa

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 07:04 PM

Thanks Sue and yes, you are absolutely right about others being in the same boat, actually some are in much worse shape, a whole neighborhood that was denied by FEMA, the reason stated was that there was 0"0' of water and the damage was "insufficient" to qualify them for help.....the entire neighborhood got over 8' of water, so a bunch of us have taken up their cause because they need help, they were all told that they would have to go directly into the appeals process, so it'll be at least 90 days before their case is even reviewed and they've all lost everything, over 50 families that really need that help now, it's frustrating, to say the least and I've already heard many people say that they're leaving, they've had enough and I really can't blame them, it may be time to let it go, you can't keep your family in limbo forever.

Re: OMG!! - 10/27/08 07:06 PM

Thank you so much Lisa....I appreciate that very much! I think that we should just get a motorhome, that way we can just drive it North for a storm and come back when it's over.... The ironic part about the demolition is that the Army Corps of Engineers is in charge of the demolition work...the same agency that is in charge of the levee system...after they demo your property, they bill you and then you file for reimbursement with your insurance company, they use the records from the parish clerk of court to verify ownership and to file a Right of Entry but last time, they demolished the wrong house, I had three properties listed in my name, two rental properties and our house and I had just owner financed one of the houses to a family and they tore down that one instead of our home and billed me for the work and they never came back, so I had to hire a contractor to come in and demo the house and wound up having to pay out of pocket and then found out that there was no legal recourse against a government agency under the goodwill act(or something like that) and it was just a huge mess and they don't give you a choice in the matter, the Army Corps of Engineers gets the contract and that's that.....this ought to be fun!

Re: OMG!! - 10/30/08 06:04 AM

Oh no Michelle. I'm so sorry to hear this. Wow....I don't even know what to say.

Re: OMG!! - 01/20/09 11:44 AM

Update...FEMA announced today that they will provide temporary housing to the residents of Cameron...their travel trailers will roll in in mid-February and FEMA will pick them back up at the beginning of the '09 hurricane season(June 1)....our fellow ASer that has been living in a tent since Hurricane Ike will be among the first to receive a trailer....YEA!!

Re: OMG!! - 01/20/09 12:22 PM

I'm sorry, but I think I'm behind on something here. Who's been living in a tent? That just sucks huge.

Warm hugs,

Re: OMG!! - 01/20/09 01:07 PM

Yeah Kat, it really does stink, several families that make their living on the water had to stay there and they're living in tents, a couple of them took what was left of their savings and bought campers but Lorraine Dyson, who I've known for years has AS and Lupus, she's been really ill the last few years, in and out of the hospital and on the front page of the paper, there's a huge picture of the tents and I was so shocked to see Shirley in a tent. I've got the paper here, I'm going to try and scan it so yall can see.

Re: OMG!! - 01/20/09 01:12 PM

It's so hard to know what to do when you hear something like that. I can imagine your shock when you saw her. I hope she gets a trailer mighty quick. It's been almost six months, for crying out loud!!

Warm hugs,

Re: OMG!! - 01/20/09 01:17 PM

I know, I'm horrified...I scanned the paper and it tells the story about the FEMA fight and Shirley...I have to send it to photobucket to post it...okay this was two months after the storm...I wish I could minimize it so yall could read about the battle with FEMA and what they've been through, the next scan will be from yesterday when FEMA finally agreed to bring in temporary housing...I had no idea that they had continued to live in tents through the winter, because we haven't been back over there since the house demo....I have photos of the tent villages, it's horrible and officially, they've denied 400 applications for campers, so 400 families are out in the cold.....

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 10:03 AM

i'm so glad to hear that Michelle.

I'm a little behind, need to really get on here more.

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 11:04 AM

Man, that's really something. It's inconceivable to me that something like this would happen in the big, modern West, you know? We're supposed to be so civilized. I guess I was wrong.

Warm hugs,

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 11:13 AM

Hi Sarah....I'm so glad to see ya! .... How are you feeling?.... How's Ben?.... How's your new job?.... Tell us everything....we miss you!

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 11:17 AM

I know...and that was 2 months ago and they're still living in tents... I didn't want to post the lastest newspaper articles because as you can see, I'm not very good at it.... I got the pictures back of my house being demolished, they're not too pretty...I do have to go over there Monday, I'm going to check in on Lorraine, she has both AS and Lupus, like Possi, so I want to just kinda make sure that she has what she needs...

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 11:45 AM

Hey Michelle...I'm doing good. We're having a little girl! Kind of shocked at first, really wanted another boy, but now I'm used to the idea of a girl and we bought her first outfit yesterday!! We haven't picked out a name yet...Ben's wasn't decided on until the end because his original name was ruined! Stupid people! But anyways, that's all going ok. Still have morning sickness 24/7...probably will have it the entire time just liek I did with Ben.
The new job is GREAT! I freaking love it! It's so much less stress than the other place. I still talk to a few people over there and the people who took over for me (2 of them to do what I did) are dieing! They are completely overwhelmed...so I'm like now you know how I felt..HA! But other than that, I'm great, so is Tim and Ben and the dogs! Just trucking along as usual.
How are you doing after your surgery?

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 12:03 PM

I'm doing great...I'm working out daily and I'm starting to see results...I love that! And we're getting ready for Mardi Gras this week, we had a wreath party yesterday, we all made a Mardi Gras wreath to hang on our front doors...it was a blast, a whole lot more fun than just buying one!

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 12:40 PM

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well after you surgery! I forgot all about Mardi Gras. Have fun with that!!!
Oh yeah, How's Rocky doing?

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 01:12 PM

He's doing fine...he's rotten but he's doing good!

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 01:23 PM

That's good to hear!
Did all of the pups find homes? Where's mama pup?

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 01:32 PM

Yep, they all have great homes and we kept Mama dog because bless her heart, nobody else wanted her! She's a little skiddish after all she's been through and she's adjusted here nicely anyway, so we're just going to keep her, I could rehab her so that she can go to another home but after all she's been through, I don't want to put her through anymore....besides, we get along fine...
Posted by: Lon

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 02:49 PM

Hi,
You have been in my thoughts had prayers.
I have trouble reading some things all the way through, but I hope that you are doing better, I hope that you are settled in an nice home and that you are safe and with someone that you love.
Lon

Re: OMG!! - 01/22/09 03:25 PM

Hi Lon, You are so sweet, you've got so much going on and here you are worrying about me, I'm proud that you're my friend! We're fine, I promise you Lon, we are fortunate, we had another home to go to but I'm just floored really that you can worry about others while going through a really tough time yourself, Lon, you're awesome! And I'm anxious to hear....how is Lin?

Re: OMG!! - 01/23/09 06:29 AM

That's great that you were able to keep her! I have a skiddish dog and after 3 years with us, he's still that way! I think he was abused 19 ways to china before we got him.

Re: OMG!! - 01/23/09 01:26 PM

Hi
Lin is fine. She is starting to tease me again.
her sister is here, now I have two Checz to contend with. Her lungs are clearing up the fluid is off her heart and her scar is not as swollen
she ill be in church sunday. they told her to wait because of flue and colds i stay the same, onery stiff and sore but thankful to Iesous for all the blessings that i enjoy.
snow cold and wind here, but living with a promise is so good!
agape'
Lon

Re: OMG!! - 01/24/09 06:44 AM

That's so great to hear Lon! I pray that Lin's health continues to improve...I always find it to be so funny when a doctor warns a patient of the health risks associated with socializing.....as if the hospital isn't a germfest! I also was thinking this morning that I neglected to explain why whites & coats aren't considered "desirable"...it's because they are lacking the ability to camouflage themselves....unless you live in Alaska, a white GSD is going to stick out like a monk on a roller coaster...and speaking of Monks, you should read about the German Shepherds and the Monks......fascinating!

Re: OMG!! - 01/26/09 07:03 PM

What German shpeherds and the monks?
Now you have done it! Come on you gotta tell me more.
I pray you and your family are safe, warm and all in love!
agape'
Lon

Re: OMG!! - 01/26/09 07:27 PM

Aha...pretty good stringer, huh?! Okay, they're the Monks of New Skete, they raise German Shepherds and their training is based on a philosophy that they wrote collectively and basically, it has to do with building trust, bonding and then training...all of which I agree with but the rest of the GSD community thought they were kinda "out there" when all of this first began 35 years ago but as it turns out...it's a fantastic philosophy and they've been very successful with it...they've written books about it...it's really a neat story...here's their link....enjoy, Lon...

http://www.newsketemonks.com/dogs.htm

Re: OMG!! - 02/02/09 01:40 PM

HI.
I am wondering how you and your family are doing?
I did go to the site. Thank you. Although having a trained dog would be wonderful, I have a cash flow problem, always have had. It has been my experinece that if I wait around, for one reason or another, someone gets rid of a good teachable dog. I have learned from you thanks.

Lon