Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
L33 Offline OP
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Greetings All

I just thought I would share my experiences with Short term High Dose Prednisone which might be helpful to someone.

I have recently started taking 50mg of Prednisone/day 25mg morning and 25mg in the afternoon after finding this page ------> http://www.rheumatologynetwork.com/spond...ing-spondylitis

I have severe AS with fusing in my neck and upper back and am currently walking with a walking stick for the past year....I am only 34 years old with my AS getting out of control in the past three years.

I recently stopped my Biologic Infleximab because it had stopped working for me.....

During the 2 weeks I have taken Prednisone, I can now walk without a walking stick and have considerably less pain. However if I don't take the prednisone in the morning the pain comes back in the afternoon.

I know that Prednisone and steroid medications are bad and dangerous long term but I was very desperate for some relief.

Its nice to know that there's some kind of medication which could be bought over the counter and make a significant impact
unlike felling like theirs nothing that can be done....

I wish I found this information a year ago I would be in a much better shape now...

When you have less pain you can do so much more like exercise regularly and maintain your mobility and health.

When you are in extreme pain everything just falls apart.....

Last edited by L33; 12/25/17 09:34 PM.

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
They had me on Prednisolone some years ago. It was just a low dose so it did nothing for me. Eventually the rheumatologist put me on a high dose for six weeks and then reduced the dosage back to the original low dose. Rather to my surprise it worked and as long as I continued to take the lower dose my A.S. was about as good as I could hope for at that time. Now with a new rheumatologist that is not interested in prescribing Prednisolone I have to manage on other less effective medications. As with most steroids Prednisolone can be dangerous so I assume that is why it is not available as a over the counter drug not here in the U.K. anyway.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I'm on Humira, and usually it works well.

But occasionally I have a flare that even Humira won't touch.

When that happens, I take a short course of methylprednisone...its already methylated, so easier for my body to process....

I take 4 mg pills...it used to be 8 mg, 4 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg on day one and then step down from there...but that dose makes me face beet red and hot...I've found instead to do 4 mg five times on day one and again on day two, then 4 mg four times on day three and day four, etc...works like a charm and no red hot face.

So glad to have this back up as needed.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
L
L33 Offline OP
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Hi All

I have tried Prednisone for a while now and it does help but a word of caution to all who use it since when I stopped suddenly without tapering off, I broke out in Acne throughout my body and had lots of akes and pains in places where I never had pain before lucky the pain lasted for a few days only.

Dont use Prednisone unless you are extremely desperate.

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
I was on Prednisone but many years ago. I don't remember the dosage but the original low dose did nothing so they increased it to a higher dose but only as a short term thing about six weeks I think. I was then returned to the original low dose. It worked very well for me at the time but I can't get the current rheumatologist to let me try it again. Different rheumatologist with a different way of doing things I suppose.

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM