Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Hello to all fellow kickasers !
I've just started the NSD diet a few days ago, and I've got a couple questions, if anyone could answer them, I'd really appreciate it :
- I can't make my mind up about the "dextrin"/"dextrose" family. I know that I'm not meant to have anything that says "wheat dextrose" or "maltodextrin" on the label, but what about when it says just "dextrose" or "dextrin" or another component with those words ?
- What about the Enumbers ? Are there any that should be avoided as they contain starch ?
- And last but not least, I've struggled a bit with the iodine-testing. It's simple enough on some foods (bread...) but how do you do it with dark foods (ie, i wanted to test my balsamic vinegar ??) or foods that absorb the iodine straight away. Are there any tips ? (Think of it as "Iodine-testing for dummies").
Thank you in advance for your help, I'm trying to do it as well as possible so i can see quickly if it's for me or not.
Marion

G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Hi,

Hopefully somebody else will chime in with a more comprehensive answer but I remember reading on here that any E numbers over 1000 are starchy. I have tried looking for the post but I can't find it.

Re Iodine testing I think if you dilute the dark liquids with water that should help it show up and foods that absorb the iodine should still change colour if starchy I would have thought. It can however take ten/fifteen minutes or even an hour or more for some foods to 'turn'

I can't help you on the dextrin or dextrose. I believe it is a form of sugar again someone more knowledgeable will let you know. I try and avoid anything with additives where possible and if you are trying the diet to see if it works I would recommend you are very strict and if you can, prepare everything from scratch then you know there are no sneaky starches.

I hope this helps somewhat until someone else replies.

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
Avoid E numbers in the 1400 range - they are all starches

http://www.starch.dk/isi/applic/E-numbers.htm

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I agree with Miss Grumpyally.

Just make everything from scratch. I am so senstive to food additives, that I just make all my own yummy goodness from scratch for ultimate healing & health. Or else I just don't feel good, and my body gets a bit haywire.

I personally eat mostly raw vegan, and LOVE it, but here are some more common low/no starch foods to ease into this diet with:

Saute up some broccoli. Cook yourself some eggs. Broil Fish. Eat sliced apples with almond butter. Make a homemade salad dressing, or just toss vinegar & oil over a big plate of veggies like lettuce, cucumber, celery, radishes, sauerkraut, carrots (I do fine with carrots), some raw walnuts, sesame seeds. Or saute some kale and mushrooms. Make a scramble with avocado & crab. Make homemade guacamole for dipping veggies. Saute shrimp and veggies. Saute some swiss chard with garlic and basil. Eat a plate a of pineapple. Eat a grapefruit. Make a homemade snack mix with raw almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds, cranberries. Broil some asparagus. BBQ a salmon. Make a pureed veggie soup. I also have a whole website full of yummy anti-inflammatory recipes.

My best advice, and the fastest way to start feeling better is to stay away from any products with a list of ingredients that you don't know what they are. Those products by law can have other added ingredients at low PPM, that aren't even listed on the label and likely contain MSG and other icky perservatives that destroy the food, and make the nutrients less accessible to your body.

Best of Luck on This New Adventure!!

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Hello everyone and thank you for your replies !!
As I started reading about all the diets around there, I noticed there are several that are sort of close, but overlapping quite a bit : some allow you dairies, other don't, some allow you peanuts, other don't, etc, you get the gist !
So I decided, to start off with, to focus on Carol Sinclair's diet, as it is specific for ppl with AS. I try and eat mostly stuff that are "unprocessed" such as fruit, veg, meat, fish, eggs, some nuts, oil... However, Carol Sinclair's diet recommends also foods that you have to buy already prepared such as bacon, ham, ice cream, mustard, crème brûlée, chocolate, wine, yogurt, etc... And unfortunately those products do contain additives, so I'm trying to figure out which ones to stay away from.
I'm not saying Carol Sinclair's diet is the best, but I decided to start from there and then start tweaking it if needs be. I'm keeping dairies at the minute (although I'm trying to avoid cow's milk product and choose goat or sheep or buffalo milk's product as I think they're meant to be less "aggressive"). I might try taking out dairies alltogether at some point to see if it makes a difference.
Also I'll have to go and see my GP, as there is added starch in my methotrexate and my birth-control pill. I'm dreading that a bit, as he might think I'm crazy (people in France always take a while to get used to new theories...), and dismiss my request.
So it is quite an adventure, as there are so many things to get your head around, and it is so different from everything I thought I knew about diet !!
Oh, and Betty, by the way, I saw you drink quite a bit of homemade juices, is it only the vegetables juices that are beneficial or fruit ones as well ?? Cause I don't like much the taste of veggie juice...
Right I'll stop going on and on, thanks again and hope to get some more input/opinion...
Marion

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Sounds good! Starting with Carol Sinclair's book sounds like a good idea. I also read it and it helped me get all the starchiness out of my diet. I just wish her book didn't include so much inflammatory sugar & dairy recipes. Depending on the progress you feel, you might do fine just focusing on getting the straches out of your diet. Seems like overall for most of the people I run into on here and other forums, they find that getting the refined sugars out of the diet has been really healing for in addition to removing starches. I believe and keep reading how refined sugars and refined starches are at the root of so many diseases in the body.

I have been at this diet for healing thing for going on 7 years. So I actually make my own mustards from scratch, raw vegan ice creams, all my own sauces, all from scrath. Some might say, "But doesn't that take so much time?" And I think, well, having an AS Flare up keep me bed ridden takes way more time out of my life. The better I feel, the more energy I have for making everything from scratch. But this is from 7 years of experimenting, and seeing which foods make me feel divine, and which ones flared up my colitis & AS. So I may be way more sensative than you to some of these perservatives. Another diet I embarked on to help get a food hold on all of this is the SCDiet. It is very similar to the NSDiet. Depending on how much pain you are in, how damanged you feel you gut is, etc. SCD can be a great option to look into. My gut was destroyed, in full inflammation mode, colitis, etc, so learning about the fundamentals behind SCDiet was a blessing for me and helped me on this journey. But I may have been in way worse shape than you too!

As for jucing. I usually add an apple or 2 to sweeten up my veggie juices. But mostly, I drink green smoothies. At least 1 green smoothie a day, but usually 2!

Anyhow, sounds like you are on the right track. And I look forward to hearing about your progress!!

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
And the last thing I want to do is stress anyone out when they first embark on a diet for healing! So I hope my comments don't come off as pushy, I am only trying to help and let you know what has worked for me.

I am also working on creating and publishing an anti-inflammatory diet plan that I hope will help people when they first jump into a new way of eating. Hope to self publish an ebook first with an easy to follow meal plan for someone just getting started, and then maybe eventually get a book into print. A healing diet has saved and restored my quality of life, so I can't help but get all passionate about it.

xoxo

D
Dru Offline
New_Member
New_Member
D
dextrose is just another name for glucose, which is a form of sugar. If sugar doesn't effect you then dextrose won't. Dextrin and Maltodextrin contain starch and you should avoid those.

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
Thank you for your replies ! I didn't understand the distinction between dextrose and dextrin so thanks for clarifying that. I've found there is maltodextrin in Diet Coke so I'm guessing that'll have to go !! I knew all along it's not healthy but it was sort of my guilty pleasure. Oh well...
I am going to try and cut down on lactose and refined sugars. Are honey and agave syrup good alternatives to table sugar, or are they considered refined sugars as well ?
By the way, Betty your blog is really good, I'm gonna buy a blender and I'm gonna try some of the ice cream and juices recipes !!
Thanks to all !!
Marion

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Sounds good!

I personally love honey, maple syrup, medjool dates, and my new sweetener favorite, low glycemic coconut sap sugar, available in liquid form (sticky like honey) or you can buy it dried much like a brown sugar. It is a great tasting low glycemic sugar, all natural, raw, and it's the sap they blead out of the cococnut flours. This company is my favorite, it's on amazon.com & in most health food stores: http://www.coconutsecret.com/

Also, I recommend avoiding agave. I came across different little articles on the internet, mostly in relation to the SCD diet, about why to avoid it, and one quote I found said "Agave feeds klebsiella like wildfire". This is due to the high concentration of inulin, a pre-biotic that feeds good and BAD bacteia. There is natural inulin in garlic, onions, asparagus, but in a modified and highly concentrated product like agave, it is not good for some of us. So I just totally avoid all agave, and I drastically felt better after giving it up.

ps: I still eat garlic ALL the time w/o issues. I also eat asparagus and onions all the time too, w/o issues. But I belive agave to be an artificial manufactured product, and it's a whole different ball game.

xoox

Last edited by bettyrawker; 03/18/13 05:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM