Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
By modifying my diet I was able to reduce my AS pain level by 95%. During daytime I eat mostly fruit (lots of melons) and dried fruit. For dinner I eat cooked non stary vegetables, olives, coconut oil some fish some beef some egg. I would like to add more variety. I'm thinking about adding sticky rice. However according to some research sticky rice should trigger AS symptoms.

I read in this forum that some people can eat sticky rice without getting problems with pain (but maybe problems with blood sugar / candida instead). Can anybody report some problems with sticky rice? How much sticky rice to you eat?

Background information:
- The starch in plants usually consists out of 70% amylopektin and 30% amylose.
- The starch in sticky rice constists entirely out of amylopectin.

- In this forum you have many many reports that starch triggers the pain in AS and can confirm this from my own experience.
- In this forum you have several reports that sticky rice does not trigger AS pain. The reasoning was that Klebsiella can not digest amylopectin.

Before introducing sticky rice to my diet I googled a bit more.

In a paper co-authored by Alan Ebringer he writes: "Amylopectin, however […] can be broken down by Klebsiella pullulanase but not by digestive enzymes."
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jir/2013/872632/
In one more paper I found that Klebsiella pullulanase can didgest amylopectin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC291464/?page=3

Maybe the people having no problem with sticky rice are less sensitve to starch already?

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, SolomonDuggar:

Amylopectin is "resistant" starch which is the kind our nemesis bacterium feeds upon. [Sorry; old-age catching up to me: It is AMYLOSE that is resistant; amylopectin can be more easily broken down from its larger mass, but it forms the soluble fraction that can still be problematic for us]. Thanks to Kellybells for reminding me!

The reason some of us can tolerate rice in general is that it has not been turned into a flour and our teeth cannot reduce the particle size very much, providing our tracts with far less opportunity to "seed" the individual particles that act as substrates for bacterial growth.

The FACT of the starch is sometimes less important than the FORM.

I encourage care and vigilance when trying to add rice to the diet; please note food combinations that could slow down digestion (proteins and fats--meats and cheeses especially).

Your final comment is the best and probably most accurate conclusion:

Quote:
"Maybe the people having no problem with sticky rice are less sensitve to starch already?"

HEALTH,
John

Last edited by DragonSlayer; 09/28/17 05:11 PM. Reason: Memory error
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I'm puzzled by the bit about amylopectin in Ebringer's research. Everything I've read indicates that amylopectin is easily broken down and absorbed in the small intestine. It is amylose that resists digestion and travels into the large bowel for fermentation. This seems to be borne out by all the research on diabetes and diet.

I have also read of factors that will increase the resistant starch content of white rice:
- consuming with fat
- cooling (and then reheating)
- eating too much at once

Something to keep in mind for your experiments, if you decide to try it.

I've tried white rice with inconclusive results over the last few months. On positive side, I've had small amounts as part of sushi rolls, and even as much as 1/2 cup at a meal and had no issues. But then last week I had about a cup of sushi rice and had stiffness 1.5 days later. I suspect the rice but can't be certain, since normally I get stiff sooner than that.

I hope you'll post your results here. I've been really cautious about branching out, so I'm always happy to hear how others do.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
A
A
I´m try with pre fried french fries/frozen french. Frieds or in the oven and are fine with out pain. The clue is because they were frozen and after reheating

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I used to enjoy a bowl of hot and dry noodles every morning on the way to work. It is a wheat noodle that is cooked then cooled then warmed later -- a resistant starch created by the "retrograde" process of cooling. I seemed to tolerate it but not any more.

I've been in a relentless six month flare and am no longer touching it.

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
I was really excited to try sticky rice but once i tried it, I can definitely say that it effected my gut really badly (extreme gas/bloating). The weird thing is that i have no digestion problems with regular white rice, however the starch in white rice is terrible for my joints.

1992-'93 DX Colitis -> Total Colectomy / J-Pouch.
2015 DX Sacroilitis (USpA)
Taking - Humira, MTX, Triphala, ReMag, Transdermal Magnesium, Lactoferrin, Peppermint oil.
Diet - No Sugar/Dairy/Starch/Alcohol

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM