Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#517149 05/20/17 05:54 AM
Decorated_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi all,

Whether anybody is taking Niacin for AS. How effective it is for AS while on diet. What dosage is being taken and how long.

Thanks.

Jay

jay_bharat #517156 05/23/17 03:00 PM
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Jay:

I have taken niacin while on NSD. All of the B vitamins are important to take every day, but niacin--in particular--is important in many ways. It is a key component in cell repair, which is constant with AS and also in the form of "niacin" and not niacinamide it is highly vasodilative and helps to eliminate waste.

Weight lifters take up to and more than 5g niacin daily, to help deliver more blood and nutrients to muscles and help build tissue. They have RED FACES; near constant niacin flush--shortness of breath, itchy skin on chest and arms, redness especially upper trunk. They must build up to this level starting at 500mg and just walk up in stages.

When I had GOUT, I thought niacin would be a good idea to help eliminate the inflammation--WRONG it makes it much worse!

I take niacinamide in quantity--up to 1g daily because it is part of the Linus Pauling patent (lysine, vitE, and vitC are the other components).

Don't have anything to compare not taking niacin with as I have always taken at least some.

HEALTH,
John

DragonSlayer #517157 05/25/17 02:13 PM
Decorated_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi John,

Thank you for your detailed response.

After seeing a post on improvement on taking niacin 1000 mg in FB, I also searched for details. The dosage being taken appears to be too high from the normal consumption. It appears it should that be taken daily for maintenance. I do not know about the side effect of long term consumption. However, I am planning to try initially with 500 mg. I am curious to know, if improvement is felt and stopped after sometime for some reason, will the pain increase from the base level from where Niacin is started for consumption?. There is no other response from other members, that means usage of Niacin is not popular and no one trying Niacin in this forum.

Similarly, I came across the use of Chardonnay. Several people reported immediate relief in pain. Is this one time consumption or similar to Niacin i.e., continue for long and will pain increase from the base level from the starting of consumption if stopped?.
I am looking from several directions for improvement. Regarding use of antibiotics, when I consulted a doctor, she disagreed with longer use. Because of lack of support, I could not try.

I started taking kefir milk for the past 15 days. So far no additional problem observed. I am also taking bone broth several times a week in recent days. Planning for Oregano oil and L-Glutamine and trying to locate a reliable local manufacturer. Only thing I have not tried is reducing eggs (presently 8 white with only one yolk a day) and reducing the fruit consumption to one serving per day from presently 4 servings a day. Several persons suggested to change and see the effect. I could not change this because I am limited to take non veg to only 2-3 times a week, since iron absorption of my metabolism is high. Others are not getting elevated iron level on taking non veg. Appears to be individual problem.

In the last 9 months of my NSD, Total cholesterol increased from 153 to 173 and LDL cholesterol increased from 96 to 105. Creatine level decreased from 0.9 to 0.79. But all of them are within range. Testosterone increased from 526 to 837 and is beyond maximum limit. I am taking coconut meat of about 50 gm a day and 5-6 tsp of EVOO. Any suggestion.

I have observed dry skin after starting NSD. I am applying coconut oil after taking bath. Any idea on this.

One thing I want to mention is that I am fairly flexible, able to do some exercises. My intuition is that with this flexibility I should be able to walk little longer than my present condition (presently 25 m at a stretch). Really puzzling.

I am also planning to locate a physician with paleo knowledge locally.

It appears some people get benefit from diet straightaway, some get benefit after some struggle, with perseverance and support and the rest after some struggle, with perseverance and less support give up because of no effect. I have lost little more than 10 kg while on diet, but not bothered.

I intend to try these seriously for a couple of months and see the effect. Otherwise, I do not know whether I will continue NSD, which definitely I would intend to continue.

Sorry for the long post. I am desperate to get the improvement.

Request provide your feedback.

Regards.

Jay

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!