Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Robin_H Offline OP
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Gut Microbiota Mediates the Protective Effects of Dietary Capsaicin against Chronic Low-Grade Inflammation and Associated Obesity Induced by High-Fat Diet; May 2017; Chao Kanga, Bin Wanga, Kanakaraju Kaliannanb, Xiaolan Wanga, Hedong Langa, Suocheng Huia, Li Huanga, Yong Zhanga, Ming Zhoua, Mengting Chena, Mantian Mia

http://mbio.asm.org/content/8/3/e00470-17.full

Disregard the mention of obesity. I think that this study applies to anybody! The important aspect is that hot chili peppers reduce inflammation.

For the past year I rarely ate chili peppers but for the previous seven years of living in a spicy part of China I ate chili peppers practically every morning for breakfast by either cooking or having a bowl of 热干面 on the way to work (I ate and walked at the same time.) I felt better when I ate a lot of chili peppers however it may have been a cause of chronic loose and mucousy stools for two years. The 热干面 has lots of noodles in it but they are pre-cooked on the previous evening, cooled and then warmed in hot water for a few seconds in the morning before serving them. So they may have been partially resistant starch. Still, I think I could feel the noodles causing some inflammation and hyper-activity in me but the inflammation was not bad as it was after quitting eating hot chili peppers. 热干面 was the only large source of starch I was have each day, otherwise I was just consuming meats and vegetables, with little fruit.

The article talks about the effects of hot chili peppers on the population of the microbiota and the subsequent effect on inflammation. The capsaicin in the hot peppers induced increased levels of butyrate-producing bacteria, while it caused lower levels of members of a specific lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-producing family. LPS is a surface antigen of gram-negative bacteria like Klebsillia and it triggers inflammation.

I'm going out right now to stock up on peppers. Wish me luck

Robin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Robin_H Offline OP
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
If we are eating a low starch diet then I would like to say that reducing inflammation by eating hot peppers is also relevant to us since we might be eating high levels of fats to add calories.

It's nice to have them back in my diet.

Robin

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!