Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519225 11/26/18 12:28 AM
L
lulu12 Offline OP
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
I am in desperate need of help with a totally whacked GI system. I’m dealing with horrible reflux and burning in my upper chest/ throat , burning I n my mid stomach, like acid and bloating, gas and mucous in my stool. Yup pretty much a total GI mess. I am currently on omeprazole which I’ve been on for a few months off and on. I’m not sure what set off this latest severe bout, but I can’t seem to get th8ngs to calm down.

I saw a new Rheumy recently and to calm down a PSA flare she gave me a prednisone pack which m just finishing up and while my pain is g9ne I fear it totally destroyed my stomach.

I’ve been drinking bone broth with ginger, peppermint is out as it aggravates my reflux horribly. Any ideas?

C
Active_Member
Active_Member
C
Omeprazole is a standard drug for the sort of problem you have. There are other similar drugs available and a change of medication may help. The chances are however that you need further investigations so as to find the cause of all this. Don't let the doctors give up on you. Keep at them as there must be an answer to your problem.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
My stomach started in 1993. I didn't get reflux, so ginger and peppermint were my two saviors along with the prilosec. Tried the histamine blockers (tagamet, etc) and they were useless, but prilosec did help. Ginger and mint did help (yes, I see you can't do mint...my husband with GERD can't either). Keeping a food symptom diary was huge, and from that I discovered: no dairy, no caffeine, no acidic foods, no under-ripe fruit, careful on the tomato sauce. Now its no dairy...casein protein is what I'm sensitive to the very very most. Cow for sure. Goat and sheep don't know. We may all have different food sensitivities, but a food symptom diary can sort it out as can IgA/IgG testing...years later, the IgA/IgG test confirmed the casein. and I had to eat frequently, keep my stomach full enough...at one point I had to eat every hour...

Now, the humira really helps keep my stomach happy.

But I still stay clear of cow casein.

And I still have a cup of honey ginger "tea" every morning.

and still don't let myself get too hungry.

and don't take aleve but a few times a month at most.

and last april, my stomach flared and I went off my metformin XR til it settled down...

took about a month or two.

and every shot of humira helped...then it would flare a bit...then a shot of humira...better then started to flare...humira...better...flare...and so it went for about 6-8 weeks...and about 4-6 shots of humira.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
V
New_Member
New_Member
V
Originally Posted By Sue22
Now, the humira really helps keep my stomach happy.

I guess humira is taken as an injection, so it is not a pill that you swallow. Does biologics mess up with the stomach/gut?

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, lulu12:

Before the NSD, I had very severe GERD and ulcers, also. After doing some research, I decided not to use the PPI drugs.

For several months I used myrrh and Swedish Bitters to ease the stomach issues. When I fasted for 11 days, then avoided all milk products for a couple of weeks, it allowed my gut to heal enough and "reset" my microbiome to some extent. I used ACV before going to bed and the reflux was reduced a bit, but it was not until I began antibiotics in combination with NSD that the GERD disappeared totally.

I have a very involved explanation for this, but basically the physical presence of our nemesis germ will deform our check-valves enough to cause a lot of trouble and lead to the chronic erosive condition.

Wishing You speedy resolution.

HEALTH,
John

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Hi Lulu, I'd like to add my piece to what has already been said. I too had a severely inflamed gut before starting the no starch diet. I was nauseous around the clock, vomiting on occasion, and my gut pain when I went to bed at night was still there when I awoke. Nothing seemed to make any difference. Like you I was taking ppis (eg omeprazole), like John I eventually realised they were best avoided. A stool test revealed that my faecal calprotectin (a marker of inflammation) was at 189 (normal is under 50). My doctor told me it would take a year to sort out my gut.

The short version of this story is that I cut out starch very strictly indeed, eliminated all refined sugars, and started each day with L-Glutamine in water (which helps rebuild the gut lining). Bone broth is a better version of the same. I also took probiotics (no starch, no FOS or inulin), digestive enzymes and plenty of omega 3, and I took herbal antimicrobials like Oregano oil and berberine, etc. I also believe that food intolerances were playing a role and I eliminated anything that made me feel bad. After six months I told the doctor I'd like another test instead of waiting out the year. To her amazement my inflammation was completely gone. She credited my rapid recovery to the no starch diet.

Hope this helps. Don't give up - it can be done!

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.
M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
Went through every stomach drug they had starting in the 80's. Gerd was horrible could not sleep lived in a recliner at night, which did not help much. Esophageal erosion pain, the worst time in my life.
Then bad pain in lower back, long story short found out I had AS.
I went to the doctor and every inflammation marker was through the roof. I went strict NSD. I think I drove John nuts with questions.
Pain went away. Allergies cleared up. Gerd disappeared. I am back to being active and pain free.
The great thing about this place is you are exposed to people who have taken control of their lives through diet, biologics combination of both.
Dig in you will figure it out. This place. Kickas and the people saved my life.
Good luck!
ETTE
Darrel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!