Kickas.org
Posted By: Robin_H Recipe requests - 05/10/18 09:31 AM
RICE CAKES

Any good resistant starch Thai glutenous rice cakes? I found this recipe and am looking for ingredient substitution recommendations. The milk and sugar likely need substitutions and the nuts a bit of tweaking.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Thai glutenous rice
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
  • 1 1/4 cup organic sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup chopped nuts almonds, walnuts or untoasted black and white sesame seeds

Stolen from -- http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/baked-coconut-sticky-rice-cake-recipe-for-chinese-new-year/

Technically, cold glutenous rice is supposed to be "resistant starch" that is difficult for humans to digest and so gets fermented in the colon. I have had no luck with this concept so far but I have not really eaten the rice cold. Even, worse, I have fried it in oil - a starch and fat mix that is very likely to create LPS and trigger systemic inflammation.

I have tried mixing pre-boiled Thai gluenous rice with butter and egg in them and then fried it in coconut oil to make pancakes, but I wanted to die within a day after eating a few for breakfast.
Posted By: Kellybells Re: Recipe requests - 07/10/18 03:01 AM
Robin: my go to substitution for cookies and bars is half coconut flour and half blanched almond flour. It might work for something dense like this rice cake though it won't have the same mochi-like texture. I would use all coconut milk and skip the dairy. If you're really trying to be good you might try making an almond-flavoured panna cotta using gelatin and coconut milk and leave out the starch altogether.

As for glutinous rice, it does not contain resistant starch. Rather, it is very low in amylose, which is the starch that is resistant to digestion. This means it digests quite readily, which is why some people with AS report being able to tolerate it: rapid digestion early in the small intestine means it is less likely to make it to the starch-loving bacteria that cause our problems.
Posted By: Robin_H Re: Recipe requests - 09/23/18 01:51 AM
Hi Kellybells,

so even though glutenous rice is not resistant starch doesn't it become resistant upon cooking then cooling -- the rice cake is refrigerated?
© Kickas.org