Kickas.org
Posted By: MollyC1i Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 11:49 AM
Tinnitus treatment: Rebooting the brain helps stop the ring of tinnitus in rats (January 13, 2011) -- Targeted nerve stimulation could yield a long-term reversal of tinnitus, a debilitating hearing impairment affecting at least 10 percent of senior citizens and up to 40 percent of military veterans, according to a new article. ... > full story

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110112132130.htm
Posted By: mom2many Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 02:19 PM
I'm not encouraged by their description of the trial in rats. How can you know the rats had an annoying ringing in the ears, really?

Want to see the human trial results.
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 04:03 PM
No. They prob placed electrodes into their brains... Thing is, that all these trials based on mice and rat, does not mean that humans are going to *exacty replicate the rat/mice reactions. Will to a degree, that is proven, but 'also' proven that there is/are differences. So, says me, how much are we 'not' learning?

But IF there is a break through, then, will be good. (Know I'm fed up with my tinnitus - and the fact that I keep hearing the telephone ringing...most annoying, when it *aint!) 'Smile'.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 05:13 PM
Hmmm, I'm neither a senior citizen, nor ex-military. Does that mean that the annoying tone (sometimes a four-part chord) is all in my head?? It doesn't exist??? Maybe it means I don't exist!!!!

I've always wondered the same thing. How the heck do they know the tinnitus abated in the rats? Can they hear what the rats hear? How about claiming that dogs are colour blind. Can they see what dogs see?

Sorry, I'm grumpy and out of sorts, and don't feel like being serious.

Warm hugs,
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 05:43 PM
HaHa Kat - grump away me dear...let it all hang out! (Well, perhaps not everything!) Hope nowt real bad going on, family and work, theatre OK.

Yep. 'How' do they know that dogs are colour blind - suppose remove eye and look through it with a mechanism? Rat/mice etc - put electodes into their brains and 'see' what goes or comes...

Like the TV programme last nght. A series on the brain. Sure fire nasty stuff went on, and still does to a degree. Except now, instead of the surgeon's knife they have ways of cutting into the brain via drugs... Yes, sure can be terrif for some folks, but for others...? One poor woman last night, they put here into a shocking state, literally and methphorically. She's still burnt some and of course horribly institutionalised.

Now let's be cheerful. Has helped many - and at least nowadays not soooo barbaric.

(((HUGS))) back.
Posted By: DavidsMum Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 05:50 PM
Thanks Molly
Interesting research.

Gosh, if only it was possible - I would get re-booted tomorrow if it meant I didn't have to live with the noises.
Posted By: stevec Re: Tinnitus Treatment - new - 01/14/11 05:59 PM
Yay, I'm all for it. Its bound to work for me because gentically lab rats and lawyers are almost identical, well except for the beady eyes but we lawyers can't help our beady eyes.
© Kickas.org